• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
IR.jpg

So this is why Mosley left for the big apple. All aboard. I think Robert Kraft received a similar treatment this past offseason. We'll see how it pans out for our former Mike.
Lol, I wouldn't want to trade places with him on that sideline.
Entire team!!!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Not sure I want to open a new thread for this, but wanted to run it by everyone here first. I've been thinking about, especially how much we all know our front seven needs an overhall in the offseason. I think we need to get away from the 2 gap system to something that is more of a 1 gap. Thoughts

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not sure I want to open a new thread for this, but wanted to run it by everyone here first. I've been thinking about, especially how much we all know our front seven needs an overhall in the offseason. I think we need to get away from the 2 gap system to something that is more of a 1 gap. Thoughts

there's an opportunity cost to each - part of the reason we're so schematically dominant vs the running game on a consistent basis season after season is because we can plug in 2 gapping nose tackles who clog up space and shed in the middle which creates serious problems - but the opportunity cost of that is that you lose out on the opportunity to have guys spike through gaps into the backfield and penetrate from the LoS

i think if we came across a player in the draft who was too good to pass up on but who was a 1 gapper we might see some change but for now i think we probably dont adjust and im not sure we need to - our pass rush isnt being held back by the system (in terms of 1 gap vs 2 gap), its limited by the players we have on the roster at those spots

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
there's an opportunity cost to each - part of the reason we're so schematically dominant vs the running game on a consistent basis season after season is because we can plug in 2 gapping nose tackles who clog up space and shed in the middle which creates serious problems - but the opportunity cost of that is that you lose out on the opportunity to have guys spike through gaps into the backfield and penetrate from the LoS

i think if we came across a player in the draft who was too good to pass up on but who was a 1 gapper we might see some change but for now i think we probably dont adjust and im not sure we need to - our pass rush isnt being held back by the system (in terms of 1 gap vs 2 gap), its limited by the players we have on the roster at those spots
oh, I absolutely agree 2 gapping is a big reason we are so dominant against the run and that it's the players in the system that is holding our pass rush back and not necessarily 1 gap v 2 gap. However, I wonder if they are considering 1 gappers at all.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
oh, I absolutely agree 2 gapping is a big reason we are so dominant against the run and that it's the players in the system that is holding our pass rush back and not necessarily 1 gap v 2 gap. However, I wonder if they are considering 1 gappers at all.
I actually think it depends on what you think you're getting out of your linebackers. If we're doing a pretty much systematic overhaul of our entire linebacking core, then I think you can go this route. I think with guys like Suggs, you really couldn't do much of that.

I guess the question is... can Brandon Williams and/or Michael Pierce be one gap DT's? Pierce isn't guaranteed to be hear next year, but Williams is.

Other than that, there's pretty much no better times to "change schemes" than right now. If you keep Judon, he's probably not big enough to be a 4-3 DE, so he would probably slot back as a SS or WS middle linebacker.

I think the issue here could be personnel. With where I would expect us to be drafting (outside the top 20), I don't know if you're going to get a player who's like a franchise-level pass rusher, either from inside or outside. I would say typically if you're making a transition like this, you'd want to target personnel who can fit that scheme, and it would typically involve drafting a top player like an Aaron Donald, Fletcher Cox, etc. Just not sure if that opportunity is going to present itself.

A1A

Veteran
Hey this is completely out of left field but I didnt know that Soloman Thomas was riding the bench completely healthy...buzz around him being traded. Um should be players in that??

Could you all imagine if we had L. Jackson, S. Smith Sr, Ray Lewis and Ed Reed all on the Ravens 53 man roster together?

All those leaders and on both sides of the ball? Something to fantasize about lol

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Hey this is completely out of left field but I didnt know that Soloman Thomas was riding the bench completely healthy...buzz around him being traded. Um should be players in that??
Solomon Thomas is trash and 2 of the dumbest picks I’ve ever seen went back to back with Trubisky at 2 and Thomas at 3.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Currently CJ Mosely's comp pick, as it stands is a 4th round pick and ZDS's 3rd round pick has been cancelled out by ET. However if CJ can play another two games CJ's comp pick would most likely end up being cancelled out by ET and ZDS would end up bing our comp pick. ZDS with CJ missing games would be the higher pick. If they all played all 16 games CJ's would be higher by one or two picks.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Well Pierce and B Will do remind me of Goose and Big Sam plus Ferguson played rush end in college.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Currently CJ Mosely's comp pick, as it stands is a 4th round pick and ZDS's 3rd round pick has been cancelled out by ET. However if CJ can play another two games CJ's comp pick would most likely end up being cancelled out by ET and ZDS would end up bing our comp pick. ZDS with CJ missing games would be the higher pick. If they all played all 16 games CJ's would be higher by one or two picks.

would be so frustrating that 2 games would affect us by a whole 40 picks or so in the draft