• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Adding everson griffen to this defense would be unfair, like that’s such a legit super bowl caliber defense, it would take lots of injuries and an offensive meltdown to beat us
He would have stand up in our defense, correct?

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I guess just play every sport in Florida. State of Florida has said that beginning Monday, fans can attend sporting events in the state but limited to 25% of the building occupancy. This is apart of their Phase 1 of re-opening.

Let's hope this is the start of returning to some kind of normal.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Adding everson griffen to this defense would be unfair, like that’s such a legit super bowl caliber defense, it would take lots of injuries and an offensive meltdown to beat us

I hope we make an offer to sign him. Perhaps a 1 year deal to play for a Super Bowl contender. If we can get him for 2 or 3 years, then fantastic.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I guess just play every sport in Florida. State of Florida has said that beginning Monday, fans can attend sporting events in the state but limited to 25% of the building occupancy. This is apart of their Phase 1 of re-opening.

Let's hope this is the start of returning to some kind of normal.
this is the start of the second wave lmao

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
and it won't be pretty
Nope. Based on the protests here in md and the sheer fucking idiocy of the right leaners here in Pasadena, I imagine we will be hit hard and fast. Shit we already had the most cases in AAcounty.

on a plus note I’ll be seeing less truck nuts swinging from trailer hitches when these dumb fucks are in the ICU

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Guys,

I've been watching some old nfl games and I've said this before and i'll re-iterate this again. I've never, ever seen such an out of shape, unproffesional, lazy player just be as naturally gited to the point where he could play at a pro bowl level consistently as a floor as Bryant Mckinnie(aside from this last year)

That guy could have been the GOAT left tackle. Anyone who approached the game like he did on a professional level would have not made it 2 years in the league at best.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Guys,

I've been watching some old nfl games and I've said this before and i'll re-iterate this again. I've never, ever seen such an out of shape, unproffesional, lazy player just be as naturally gited to the point where he could play at a pro bowl level consistently as a floor as Bryant Mckinnie(aside from this last year)

That guy could have been the GOAT left tackle. Anyone who approached the game like he did on a professional level would have not made it 2 years in the league at best.
im watching an old game now and was just coming here to reminisce lol, but yeah mckinnie is a goddamn shame, he was so goddamn good in that SB run, i mean INCREDIBLE, and he didnt face a slouch the whole time, prime robert mathis, von miller, chandler jones, and the smith brothers in SF, i know he didnt always face all those guys but that run had some rushers and flacco stayed with a clean blindside

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
this is the start of the second wave lmao
I think so too. We aren't even in decline quite yet. MD is doubling cases every couple of weeks and we haven't quite seen the peek here. Florida is going to suffer if they open up too early just given the age of that population.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
underrated game was the 2011 @steelers game. flacco absolutely willed us to a win that night, it was beautiful and so intense and felt like a champion moment, like that was the game for me that i think sparked the super bowl run, we finally got over the hump and pulled the comeback on them that they always pulled on us, it felt like a major turning point where we realized we were a championship team and our qb had arrived. The best most forgotten moment was where Ed was kinda in disbelief for a second, because we felt we had been screwed out of so many big wins, the flag was on the ground and he had his hands up but was waiting for the signal from the refs, when he saw it was against Pit this camera saw him pump his fist so hard he almost dislocated his shit and the mic picked up his loud ass YES.

as much as i love this new ravens squad, its gonna take a lot of special and dramatic moments for them to bypass my love for the 08-12 era. that team just had the vibes lol, theyre not as fun as these ravens but man they were the last of a dying breed and guys like ed, sizzle, ngata, mason, boldin, and others felt so close to a SB for years and so deserving that you just felt like they would get it, sadly mason wasnt around once we got there though. they were these very deserving veterans who were rooting so hard for joe because they knew their chance at a SB lied with him, they believe in him even when he so often showed nothing to believe in, our fans did the same, and he finally put it together for us and for them and for 2 seasons, evans and cundiff killed his effort on the first run, but the second time around its like everyone refused to fail and finally things came together for us.

what an awesome 4 years of football that was

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
im watching an old game now and was just coming here to reminisce lol, but yeah mckinnie is a goddamn shame, he was so goddamn good in that SB run, i mean INCREDIBLE, and he didnt face a slouch the whole time, prime robert mathis, von miller, chandler jones, and the smith brothers in SF, i know he didnt always face all those guys but that run had some rushers and flacco stayed with a clean blindside

even on the vikings he was known to be the laziest, most uninterested and casual player on the roster and yet i saw him in a game totally stonewalling and panckaing without breaking a sweat

he had more natural talent than ogden but with only 0.005% of the work ethic to maximize his potential and he was still a great tackle

i've never seen anything like it in the NFL. in thr NFL you cannot get away with being a fat slob at left tackle and get away with it without being awful but McKinnie could and he was at worst ''GOOD'' during his prime years!

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
underrated game was the 2011 @steelers game. flacco absolutely willed us to a win that night, it was beautiful and so intense and felt like a champion moment, like that was the game for me that i think sparked the super bowl run, we finally got over the hump and pulled the comeback on them that they always pulled on us, it felt like a major turning point where we realized we were a championship team and our qb had arrived. The best most forgotten moment was where Ed was kinda in disbelief for a second, because we felt we had been screwed out of so many big wins, the flag was on the ground and he had his hands up but was waiting for the signal from the refs, when he saw it was against Pit this camera saw him pump his fist so hard he almost dislocated his shit and the mic picked up his loud ass YES.

as much as i love this new ravens squad, its gonna take a lot of special and dramatic moments for them to bypass my love for the 08-12 era. that team just had the vibes lol, theyre not as fun as these ravens but man they were the last of a dying breed and guys like ed, sizzle, ngata, mason, boldin, and others felt so close to a SB for years and so deserving that you just felt like they would get it, sadly mason wasnt around once we got there though. they were these very deserving veterans who were rooting so hard for joe because they knew their chance at a SB lied with him, they believe in him even when he so often showed nothing to believe in, our fans did the same, and he finally put it together for us and for them and for 2 seasons, evans and cundiff killed his effort on the first run, but the second time around its like everyone refused to fail and finally things came together for us.

Well speaking of 2011 comebacks, let's also remember that amazing comeback against Steelers West aka the Cardinals. I believe we were down 24-6 at halftime.

Tank

Hall of Famer

After the complete failure that was 2007, the arrival of John, Joe and getting back to tournament football was like a resurrection. What a great time it was to be a Ravens fan.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I disagree very strongly here. Joe burrow is an extremely anticipatory qb, he just has Peyton-like intuition and understanding of coverages, he isn’t a noodle arm either he just isn’t a rocket armed type of qb, he still makes tight window throws constantly because his release timing is so perfect and he’s seeing windows before they open. He’s also super poised in the pocket and an underrated athlete and has supreme confidence in a very good way.

I personally think burrow is the real goddamn deal and I’m not looking forward to him in the division, and I hope we keep this defense churning because the bengals will be a problem on offense starting around 2021, and they just drafted 2 really good linebackers who might give our offense a lot of trouble.
I agree with your analysis... with one major caveat.

All of this is predicated 100% off what you saw him do in 2019 at LSU. If you look back at the history of the very few actual great QBs in the NFL, almost none of them came out of anonymity in their last year of college. They may not have been polished as a Freshman, Sophomore, etc., but almost all of them had NFL-level traits that scouts liked that just needed development.

Burrow was a 6th-7th round level QB going into 2019. That's what scouts had as, based on limited game film and what they'd seen from development on the practice field.

They could be wrong, and I genuinely agree that I like what I see. But what you saw from him in 2019 was not an indication of a guy who's largely had tools that finally put them together, which raises some red flags.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I agree with your analysis... with one major caveat.

All of this is predicated 100% off what you saw him do in 2019 at LSU. If you look back at the history of the very few actual great QBs in the NFL, almost none of them came out of anonymity in their last year of college. They may not have been polished as a Freshman, Sophomore, etc., but almost all of them had NFL-level traits that scouts liked that just needed development.

Burrow was a 6th-7th round level QB going into 2019. That's what scouts had as, based on limited game film and what they'd seen from development on the practice field.

They could be wrong, and I genuinely agree that I like what I see. But what you saw from him in 2019 was not an indication of a guy who's largely had tools that finally put them together, which raises some red flags.
That’s a very real caveat but I saw a qb who just looked the part of an nfl qb, I didn’t see a guy just making wild throws and pulling off crazy gunslinger shit, I saw a guy who looks ready for the next lvl

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
That’s a very real caveat but I saw a qb who just looked the part of an nfl qb, I didn’t see a guy just making wild throws and pulling off crazy gunslinger shit, I saw a guy who looks ready for the next lvl
And that's fine. I also saw a guy who threw to a TON of wide open WRs for the majority of the season, which I think has the problem for a lot of QBs coming into the NFL in recent years. I think in College its pretty easy to scheme open players and make easy reads. I think this windows shrink tremendously in the NFL.

I think Burrow will be a fine QB in the NFL. Probably not an elite guy, but a very capable starter who will do a lot of good things. I think his first year or two are really going to be a challenge for him.