• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i know this isnt what you asked but this (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/2019-snap-counts.htm) has the players snap counts as a percentage so it wouldnt take much to work out the totals off that info - also has each game's snap counts (with players) as a percentage of total by a unit so you can work out total game snap counts too

if you scroll back through jeff zrebiec's twitter you can probably find screenshots of the snap count breakdowns after each game too (again as a percentage of total snaps)

filmstudybaltimore (ken mckusick) does his own snap counts too where in his articles he'll mention the total snaps often that a unit had in each game

but otherwise im not sure if there's other options
You only need this page, and one player.

Marlon played 962 defensive snaps, which was 98.16% of the total. Divide the two, and you get 980 total defensive snaps for the year.
As you said, same site has game-by-game breakdown also.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
this coming era of football i think is gonna surpass the previous era in terms of excitement and quality of play. its kinda crazy how brady, peyton, brees, big ben, favre, rodgers, eli, rivers, stafford, and even guys like flacco and cutler and cam, all played around the same times, and all of their careers have either ended or are coming to an end very soon, they formed their own golden age of qb and offensive play, and as theyre phasing out the next gen is phasing in, all within a few years of eachother. 4 season ago we had no lamar jackson, pat mahomes, deshaun watson, kyler murray, josh allen? sam darnold?, drew lock? dwayne haskins? joe burrow, tua, and next year we will add trevor lawrence and justin fields to the mix, in 5 years these young next gen qbs have completely changed the complexity of the nfl, and they arent just guys who throw the ball, every single one of them are superb athletes except for lock and haskins, and some are even transcendent athletes like lamar, watson, kyler, allen, lawrence, and fields. the nfl is going to be SO FUCKING EXCITING over the next decade with these guys becoming experienced nfl qbs. like just imagine the bengals getting their shit together, the primetime duels between lamar and burrow are going to be MUST SEE TV, kyler vs russ, allen/tua/darnold primetime duels, were in for a very exciting decade of football i think, and i cant wait to see 5 years from now what kind of impact guys like lamar has had on future qb prospects.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Agreed 100%

I wouldn’t call him overrated at all, I would just say his production may be a little inflated. Michael thomas is easily a top 5 wr in this league right now no question about it, and if I could choose anyone to complement Hollywood for this offense, Michael Thomas would seriously be in the argument.
Qualification-very good speed

JO_75

Hall of Famer
There's the first NFL Player to opt out of the season and it is a starter for the defending Super Bowl Champions. Instead of the $2.75M he was scheduled to make, he will receive $150,000 from the NFL's Opt out deal. Props to him for doing his part in helping fight this virus.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
How is Allen even in the vicinity top 100?
Seriously, everyone except for bills fans is hitting the brakes on the bills hype train and it’s for ONE reason; Josh allen. That might be the most loaded roster in the league and they have a great coaching staff, but josh Allen is a huge question mark, he single handedly lost the game vs the ravens because he had receivers open for touchdowns more times than I care to remember and he overthrew them every time by like ten feet, like he was never close lol. If the ball needs any kind of touch he can’t make the throw, he’s pretty much the worst version of Colin kaepernick.

man I wish like hell everything was a popularity contest back in 08-09, if all you had to do was be a young qb and make the playoffs to make the top 100 then flacco would’ve broke top 50 in 2009 lol, shits changed.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m starting to think we won’t have a season this year... Marlins home opener cancelled after 14 players test positive

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m starting to think we won’t have a season this year... Marlins home opener cancelled after 14 players test positive
Next 48 hours will be critical. If you're seeing cross-team spread, like if the Phillies have a bunch of positive tests, it will certainly be challenging. If you can isolate an "outbreak" to a single locker room, I don't think its going to preclude a sport from functioning.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Seriously, everyone except for bills fans is hitting the brakes on the bills hype train and it’s for ONE reason; Josh allen. That might be the most loaded roster in the league and they have a great coaching staff, but josh Allen is a huge question mark, he single handedly lost the game vs the ravens because he had receivers open for touchdowns more times than I care to remember and he overthrew them every time by like ten feet, like he was never close lol. If the ball needs any kind of touch he can’t make the throw, he’s pretty much the worst version of Colin kaepernick.

man I wish like hell everything was a popularity contest back in 08-09, if all you had to do was be a young qb and make the playoffs to make the top 100 then flacco would’ve broke top 50 in 2009 lol, shits changed.
and he wasn't just overthrowing them because of the wind. I have a friend who is a Bills fan, so I've watched him many times. He is constantly overthrowing players. .......... constantly

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Next 48 hours will be critical. If you're seeing cross-team spread, like if the Phillies have a bunch of positive tests, it will certainly be challenging. If you can isolate an "outbreak" to a single locker room, I don't think its going to preclude a sport from functioning.

The biggest difference is the in-each-others-face aspect of football over that of baseball. The guys are still going to be in locker rooms and hotels the same way, so levels of infection will probably be similar in that respect. If that's where these infections resulted then that should be very concerning to the NFL. But football is not a socially distanced game, right? ^_^ They are right up in each other and that is going to be dangerous. I don't bank on having a season right now. I think why they are saying there will be is as much to avoid the actual discussion of NOT having one. Can kicked down the road...

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
There's the first NFL Player to opt out of the season and it is a starter for the defending Super Bowl Champions. Instead of the $2.75M he was scheduled to make, he will receive $150,000 from the NFL's Opt out deal. Props to him for doing his part in helping fight this virus.

This man has got the heart of a lion. Big ups

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The biggest difference is the in-each-others-face aspect of football over that of baseball. The guys are still going to be in locker rooms and hotels the same way, so levels of infection will probably be similar in that respect. If that's where these infections resulted then that should be very concerning to the NFL. But football is not a socially distanced game, right? ^_^ They are right up in each other and that is going to be dangerous. I don't bank on having a season right now. I think why they are saying there will be is as much to avoid the actual discussion of NOT having one. Can kicked down the road...
True, but my question's going to be... what's going to change between now and the season starting that would force them to consider not having it?

They've already abandoned the preseason games, so the idea of two teams lining up across from each other and actually playing is gone. So until the very first game, none of these guys are going to be doing much, if any, traveling, and its all going to be isolated to their own camps, where they can largely quarantine anyway.

I don't think its a question of whether or not the season starts. I think it would take government intervention to force that. I think its a question of whether the season can finish or not.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ronnie Stanley being #74 in top 100 is total disrespect.

im not majorly pissed at marlon being so low etc. because its his first time on the list and he's not well known necessarily (partly overshadowed by peters playing lights-out post-trade)

but Ronnie Stanley being at 74 is ridiculous - and even the way bakhtiari introduces him in the VT is a bit disrespectful - the way he calls him up and coming...

ronnie stanley is not up and coming - he's arrived

im gonna be fuming if tunsil is higher than him on the list simply because he got the big extension this year

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
True, but my question's going to be... what's going to change between now and the season starting that would force them to consider not having it?

They've already abandoned the preseason games, so the idea of two teams lining up across from each other and actually playing is gone. So until the very first game, none of these guys are going to be doing much, if any, traveling, and its all going to be isolated to their own camps, where they can largely quarantine anyway.

I don't think its a question of whether or not the season starts. I think it would take government intervention to force that. I think its a question of whether the season can finish or not.
I think if the MLB sees teams being shut down for 2 weeks the nfl might end up shutting down

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think if the MLB sees teams being shut down for 2 weeks the nfl might end up shutting down
I think its premature at this point.
1. All indications are that MLB has zero plans to cancel or suspend the season. It's going to require a lot more than one team having an outbreak to impact. They've got a much more robust pool of players, so to be honest, having like a dozen players have to sit out for a short period of time, to them, probably isn't even a huge deal.
2. I don't think the NFL will take any of its cues from other leagues. If anything, they'll use their mistakes to improve their own performance model. There's way, way, way, way, way too much money involved for the NFL to fold just because another sport couldn't achieve it.

There's only two things I see "stopping" the NFL:
1. Multiple state-wide bans on sporting events like there's, i.e. not allowing them to play football. Even one state doing it probably wouldn't be a show-stopper, because as we've seen, MLB moved forward with Toronto despite not being able to play in Toronto.
2. Multiple in-season outbreaks of dozens of players in the same locker room, and across multiple teams. Basically forcing the cancellation of games and an inability to resume safely for weeks.

Everything else is on the table on my eyes. Shortened seasons, paused seasons that are picked back up again later, alternative locations, etc.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

He is also making the playoffs in NY and you know that means more attention and more press and means that you get people who think somehow that wins should be counted as a QB stat (not any other position just QB).