• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member

honestly dont know what the writer's talking about - Ismail makes some good points about his route running techniques etc. but talking about taking his snaps and giving them to productive people completely ignores the fact that even when hollywood's not playing well he's still drawing attention

and it's a bit of a stupid argument also - even with a couple of quiet performances the last 3 weeks he still leads the team in receiving yards and is only 1 reception behind mark andrews - you could levy much of the same question marks at Andrews (the only reason people havent been is because they see him demonstratively fighting on the field which is cool but his production has been pretty down vs last year)

and who is it that really needs more snaps from hollywood? boykin's snaps are disappearing in obvious passing situations for fairly obvious reasons so duvernay and snead are the 2 and 3 in most passing situations... im not sure who he's advocating should replace hollywood in those 11 personnel sets... proche? boykin?

Ismail's criticism is useful - this article though reads like someone who's pissed off because he drafted hollywood too high in fantasy

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Looks like AB already found himself in more legal trouble, even before signing with Tampa. Apparently the NFL knew about it and I assume teams knew which was why they didn't sign him.

AB has turned into the non marijuana version of Josh Gordon.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The biggest problem with our team is we are stuck in the early 2000's with the way of thinking. I have no problem being a run first team but really need to catch up to the rest of the league. We keep trying an old philosophy that just doesn't work anymore.

We need to get an offense that can score 30 or more points weekly. We got the defense that prevents us from being a team with really good passing numbers but miss the playoffs(IE last year), we just need the offense to put up enough points to win every week.

i think we got sidetracked by last year's offence which was a statistical outlier - we ran with historic efficiency last year and it meant that the analytics were different specifically for that team in that year (in terms of efficiency on each down)

but as the running game comes back to the pack (even as it leads the NFL or did... think we're number 2 behind the cardinals right now) that outlier efficiency is no longer there and it means that passing is a much more efficient strategy in almost all situations but this team didnt really read the tea leaves and adjust this offseason (despite the fact we thought they would)

we're still running too much of Ingram out of the pistol on 1st down which is both predictable and inefficient

what's been frustrating is that we havent been a good team out of empty sets this year which we were last year and that takes some adjusting (but not 10 weeks of adjusting)

LSURavenFan

Veteran
Just for fun, a look at the remaining schedules's for the 6 teams, competing for 3 WC spots. In reality, it's 5 as one of IND/TEN will win the division.

Colts
vs GB
vs TEN
at HOU
at LV
vs HOU
at PIT
vs JAX

Titans
at BAL
at IND
vs CLE
at JAX
vs DET
at GB
at HOU

Dolphins
at DEN
at NYJ
vs CIN
vs KC
vs NE
at LV
at BUF

Raiders
vs KC
at ATL
at NYJ
vs IND
vs LAC
vs MIA
at DEN

Browns
vs PHI
at JAX
at TEN
vs BAL
at NYG
at NYJ
vs PIT

Ravens
vs TEN
at PIT
vs DAL
at CLE
vs JAX
vs NYG
at CIN

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
Just for fun, a look at the remaining schedules's for the 6 teams, competing for 3 WC spots. In reality, it's 5 as one of IND/TEN will win the division.

Colts
vs GB
vs TEN
at HOU
at LV
vs HOU
at PIT
vs JAX

Titans
at BAL
at IND
vs CLE
at JAX
vs DET
at GB
at HOU

Dolphins
at DEN
at NYJ
vs CIN
vs KC
vs NE
at LV
at BUF

Raiders
vs KC
at ATL
at NYJ
vs IND
vs LAC
vs MIA
at DEN

Browns
vs PHI
at JAX
at TEN
vs BAL
at NYG
at NYJ
vs PIT

Ravens
vs TEN
at PIT
vs DAL
at CLE
vs JAX
vs NYG
at CIN
Looking at this we should make the playoffs and I don't care how we get in I just want to win we need to get stuff rolling at the right time it appears every week we are close if we can somehow get clicking nothing is out of the range of possibilities we are 6-3 yes we have some injuries but that's football as we saw last year the regular season doesn't mean anything let the Steelers and chiefs take all the praise I like rolling under the radar it's never the big team in the regular season who wins usually atleast

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
Very very disappointing loss last night but this all hope is lost stuff is super irrational if we lose the next two games then I'd say there's room for concern but until then let's just move on

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Looking at this we should make the playoffs and I don't care how we get in I just want to win we need to get stuff rolling at the right time it appears every week we are close if we can somehow get clicking nothing is out of the range of possibilities we are 6-3 yes we have some injuries but that's football as we saw last year the regular season doesn't mean anything let the Steelers and chiefs take all the praise I like rolling under the radar it's never the big team in the regular season who wins usually atleast
If we go 10-6 or better, we're getting in. I know the league is somewhat lopsided this year with a higher deviation of records between good teams and really bad teams, but all of these teams (and even teams better than them) have flaws, and so there's nothing guaranteed about teams like the Browns or Raiders or anybody in the AFC South putting together the kinds of streaks it'll take to win 11-12 games.

I told people about Miami when they brought Tua in. They were going to get on a roll, due to scheduling. They may even be 8-4 or 9-3 as they head towards December. But their last four games are pretty brutal, and you're going to find out who they really are then.

I don't anticipate the AFC South getting two teams either.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The biggest problem with our team is we are stuck in the early 2000's with the way of thinking. I have no problem being a run first team but really need to catch up to the rest of the league. We keep trying an old philosophy that just doesn't work anymore.

We need to get an offense that can score 30 or more points weekly. We got the defense that prevents us from being a team with really good passing numbers but miss the playoffs(IE last year), we just need the offense to put up enough points to win every week.
If you want an offense that's going to get you 30+ every week, its going to cost you on defense. You'll never get both for more than maybe one season.

Not to mention that your highest scoring teams are going to be under 30 points at least 1/3 of the time. KC is the gold standard for offense, and they've been under 30 points three times this year already.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I don't know what's worse, us facing Derrick Henry with zero defensive lineman or the Steelers getting an easy cakewalk over the Jaguars this week.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I don't know what's worse, us facing Derrick Henry with zero defensive lineman or the Steelers getting an easy cakewalk over the Jaguars this week.
The first. If we or the Bills can't beat them, they're go undefeated. Let's just worry about salvaging what's rest of this season by getting into the playoffs.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor

I would disagree with you here because I don't think this is really the problem. If it was we would be running the ball consistently and throwing less and relying on defense and ball control. We may want to be that team but we are not acting like that team, and that is a fundamental difference. Our OL is also decimated and Skura has been awful lately.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Speaking of the Pro Bowl, a Jags fan on Reddit is recruiting the rest of the NFC North to help vote Yannick into the Pro Bowl. Even though Minnesota traded him to us, they still have to give up a conditional 5th that could be a 4th if he makes the Pro Bowl.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Speaking of the Pro Bowl, a Jags fan on Reddit is recruiting the rest of the NFC North to help vote Yannick into the Pro Bowl. Even though Minnesota traded him to us, they still have to give up a conditional 5th that could be a 4th if he makes the Pro Bowl.

You know what? I respect the hustle and effort.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer

Lol, the replies

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Will we see Fort this Sunday?
I wonder if the Ravens consider limiting Queen and play more Harrison/Fort assuming he's up.