• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Random question: let’s put Lamar into 2012’s offense. He has the luxury of having Boldin, Torrey, Jacoby, Pitta, Rice and everyone else. Keep in mind though, we’re not changing the offense for him. We’re keeping the same offense designed for Flacco. I can’t remember if it was the Air Coryell or if it changed when Cam was fired. Regardless, there’s no pistol, but let’s say there’s some read options because it’s, well, Lamar. Does he succeed, and can he threaten the defense vertically like Flacco did so well with Torrey and Jacoby, because we know Pitta and Q would feast underneath with Lamar.

For me personally, I’m saying absolutely. I think Lamar is a pocket passer first, and looks to run second. Give Lamar a better supporting cast. I thinks it’s fair to say that even Torrey was better than Hollywood, and even Jacoby could be on par. That should tell you how piss poor the talent around Lamar is. Not giving up on Hollywood yet, though...

I think Lamar probably shreds the NFL with that roster but I'm not sure it's likely that any QB would ever have as good a run as Flacco had through those playoffs - it gets muddied by the opinions of him post-contract and as time passes but the level of play was unreal from flacco during that run and it's hard to say any QB would have done better - it was a roster perfectly built around him and it was the best he ever played

Simba

Staff Member
Saints were fined and docked a 7th round draft pick for the video of them celebrating in the locker room with no masks on. No COVID cases were attributed to the celebration.

Imagine what we're about to get docked with 22 guys on the COVID list and a clear protocol violation that led to it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Saints were fined and docked a 7th round draft pick for the video of them celebrating in the locker room with no masks on. No COVID cases were attributed to the celebration.

Imagine what we're about to get docked with 22 guys on the COVID list and a clear protocol violation that led to it.

they're going to have to be careful not to go overboard with the punishment (in terms of picks) or else we'll probably fight it - my guess is we'll be in line with the titans where the precedent was set with fines but no draft picks - especially if there was just the 1 breach (and it just happened to cause a major outbreak) - what will be telling is what was going on monday/tuesday when we were in the building but it was supposedly allowed by the NFL - was that based on misinformation/a failure in protocols or what etc?

raiders and saints punishments resulted in loss of draft picks because it was a 2nd offence not because of the severity of their breach

we'll see but im not really expecting a major loss of draft picks or anything - maybe we lose our 6th rounder but id be surprised if we lost more

i expect punishment to follow the lines of the Titans not the raiders or saints

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Decided to look at our opponents for next year. We play the AFC West & NFC North next year, with the two games based on division finish being the AFC South & AFC East. Second consecutive year the Chiefs will come to Baltimore in the regular season, and we get the Packers coming to Baltimore.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Watching this Niners game, it makes me sad we could’ve had Deebo. We need a RAC soulja here who doesn’t fall before contact or goes out of bounds. Just quit drafting WRs and sign them in FA. We’re cursed forever.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Watching this Niners game, it makes me sad we could’ve had Deebo. We need a RAC soulja here who doesn’t fall before contact or goes out of bounds. Just quit drafting WRs and sign them in FA. We’re cursed forever.

i mean tbf duvernay has shown some ability to do that for us - we just dont have kyle shanahan calling plays for him

deebo's also a better route runner than duv to start their careers but their very similar players in terms of profile and potential usage

To be fair the front office knew about the issues at WR going into the season that's why they were in on the Hopkins trade and also inquired about Theilen. Looking back at the 2019 class idk how we took Hollywood over AJ Brown. I remember watching a pre-draft video that had our own receivers coach praising AJ Brown for his ability, but then we select Hollywood over him wtf....

rossihunter2

Staff Member
To be fair the front office knew about the issues at WR going into the season that's why they were in on the Hopkins trade and also inquired about Theilen. Looking back at the 2019 class idk how we took Hollywood over AJ Brown. I remember watching a pre-draft video that had our own receivers coach praising AJ Brown for his ability, but then we select Hollywood over him wtf....

i mean i 100% get why we took Hollywood over AJ and all the others - he was ridiculously high on my draft board and his film frequently blew away the film of the others - he was a dynamic athlete, insane long speed and short area quickness, good hands, good route-running, could take games over - he was weakest against press but he's so fast it was something you thought was developable (and you saw he worked a ton on his releases in the offseason)

In that class I had Hollywood as WR1 with a top 20 grade (but thought he might fall because of the injury), Deebo Samuel at WR2 and AJ Brown at WR3 who I thought were also both 1st rounders but at the back end

dont get me wrong i wouldnt have been mad if we'd picked either of those 2 over Hollywood but in my opinion hollywood was the clear pick

i still have faith that Hollywood will come good - he's looked off and the connection's not been there but he hasnt looked like a bust in the sense that he cant do it because you turn on the tape and he clearly can do it

i mean i 100% get why we took Hollywood over AJ and all the others - he was ridiculously high on my draft board and his film frequently blew away the film of the others - he was a dynamic athlete, insane long speed and short area quickness, good hands, good route-running, could take games over - he was weakest against press but he's so fast it was something you thought was developable (and you saw he worked a ton on his releases in the offseason)

In that class I had Hollywood as WR1 with a top 20 grade (but thought he might fall because of the injury), Deebo Samuel at WR2 and AJ Brown at WR3 who I thought were also both 1st rounders but at the back end

dont get me wrong i wouldnt have been mad if we'd picked either of those 2 over Hollywood but in my opinion hollywood was the clear pick

i still have faith that Hollywood will come good - he's looked off and the connection's not been there but he hasnt looked like a bust in the sense that he cant do it because you turn on the tape and he clearly can do it
Maybe on your board he was, but receivers getting off of press coverage should be priority number 1. I have no doubt Hollywood will dominate if he's gets moved into the slot permanently, but he can't win consistently outside the numbers

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Maybe on your board he was, but receivers getting off of press coverage should be priority number 1. I have no doubt Hollywood will dominate if he's gets moved into the slot permanently, but he can't win consistently outside the numbers

it's not that he couldnt do it though - it was just that he didnt see it a lot because of his ridiculous athleticism - teams and corners didnt want to press him a ton

it's also notable that AJ Brown didnt see a ton of press either - he played a lot in the slot where he wouldnt see a ton of press

the only WR in that class who consistently faced and beat press coverage was DK Metcalf who tbf has looked great in the NFL but its not like that's the only thing that makes him good

the difference in athlete levels and abilities in college is so much vaster than in the NFL that so much of WR play (especially when evaluating guys who are sub-4.4 athletes) is projection based on what you think they'll be able to do

as for the idea that hollywood cant win consistently outside that seems like rubbish to me - he was consistently getting open deep down the sideline early in the year we just never connected with him - either lamar missed or the ball wasnt thrown

rossihunter2

Staff Member
dont get me wrong - im not going to pretend this season has been everything we hoped from hollywood but the tape just doesnt show him being as bad as what many are saying - i can think of only 1 real snap where a CB was able to jam him up completely all season

the drops are frustrating especially because the targets are generally so low so errors are massively magnified because our passing attack feels like such hard work that every drop feels like a drive killer when it happens

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Interesting so perhaps that's why he hasn't a Head Coaching job yet. I guess it's similar to when we think a player should be drafted high but the reality is the scouts and GMs aren't as high on a player as the fans and media.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Interesting so perhaps that's why he hasn't a Head Coaching job yet. I guess it's similar to when we think a player should be drafted high but the reality is the scouts and GMs aren't as high on a player as the fans and media.

seems like bullshit to me the background legal issues stuff - if Vance Joseph can get a HC job and not have it affect his career at all after being dismissed by Colorado for basically sexually assaulting 2 sleeping women from the athletic training staff then I cant believe that sort of stuff could ever be a problem for Bieniemy (who was coaching at Colorado when there were a few rape allegations against players)

that would be the only background stuff that could ever hold water - everything else is stupid incidents from back when he was a player/before he was a player in college in the late 80s/90s

also hard to think it would be an issue given there's been no problems employing him as a coordinator and position coach until now so not sure why it would be an issue now

like i dont want to be that guy but no one seemed to suggest that Matt Patricia shouldnt be hired ever (and when it became common knowledge that he was indicted on charges of rape) no one seemed to suggest that he really needed to even be pressed let alone fired and Patricia's not exactly thought of as a personable guy so I doubt he nailed interviews etc. for being particularly charismatic

notable that at least one of the incidents involving Bieniemy was a bar fight in 1988 where he was called a racial slur

all of his reported incidents are pre-NFL too
and this is a league that hasnt ever not welcomed back players and coaches for domestic violence/child abuse/sexual violence etc.

it seems odd that this would be a stated issue specifically for Bieniemy and not for numerous other coaches

it's also something that this particular tweeter seems to tweet out like every 2 weeks like an obsession

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Was my fav wr coming out

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
seems like bullshit to me the background legal issues stuff - if Vance Joseph can get a HC job and not have it affect his career at all after being dismissed by Colorado for basically sexually assaulting 2 sleeping women from the athletic training staff then I cant believe that sort of stuff could ever be a problem for Bieniemy (who was coaching at Colorado when there were a few rape allegations against players)

that would be the only background stuff that could ever hold water - everything else is stupid incidents from back when he was a player/before he was a player in college in the late 80s/90s

also hard to think it would be an issue given there's been no problems employing him as a coordinator and position coach until now so not sure why it would be an issue now

like i dont want to be that guy but no one seemed to suggest that Matt Patricia shouldnt be hired ever (and when it became common knowledge that he was indicted on charges of rape) no one seemed to suggest that he really needed to even be pressed let alone fired and Patricia's not exactly thought of as a personable guy so I doubt he nailed interviews etc. for being particularly charismatic

notable that at least one of the incidents involving Bieniemy was a bar fight in 1988 where he was called a racial slur

and this is a league that hasnt ever not welcomed back players and coaches for domestic violence/child abuse/sexual violence etc.

it seems odd that this would be a stated issue specifically for Bieniemy and not for numerous other coaches

it's also something that this particular tweeter seems to tweet out like every 2 weeks like an obsession
Wish i could like this 10000x times

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

thanks. From the outside it makes no sense that he's hasn't landed a HC job yet. Who knows - maybe he interviews badly. But then when I see who's got hired over the last 2 years...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
thanks. From the outside it makes no sense that he's hasn't landed a HC job yet. Who knows - maybe he interviews badly. But then when I see who's got hired over the last 2 years...

that's the thing - and unfortunately it is clearly racial - tons of white coaches with sour attitudes and shit pasts with way less experience and a far worse resume get hired every year and flame out

Bieniemy deserves that same opportunity even if he just flames out too

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Wish i could like this 10000x times

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/...rch-chiefs-eric-bieniemy-vance-joseph-broncos

this is a fairly brief rundown of the "issues"

for me personally the only big thing is the stuff at Colorado while he was a coach there but it seems like he had very little to do with it and was only even hired right as the scandal was already being litigated and in court

that being said - i had no idea about any of that stuff about Colorado from 1997-2002 - it's amazing the different viewpoints towards sexual violence and domestic violence at that time (only 20ish years ago) allowed for literally zero accountability for those women - they got no justice at all

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor

Swap out Hollywood with Deebo. Do you really believe Roman is going to scheme for this guy? They had Deebo get a screen, sweep, had him run Slants, a 15-20 yard Out where he started in the slot from the right side and they let him run himself open, and some more short yardage stuff.

Basically he is doing what we thought we would have Duv and Hollywood doing to some extent. It appears we do the sweep and short stuff a few times to Duv and send Hollywood deep. That's it.