• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Indeed. EVERY remaining game on our schedule is must-win. 11-5 is basically guaranteed. 10-6? It's dicey....definitely gonna need help. Anything less and we're fucked.
Generally don't agree. I've been saying all along... teams like the Raiders and Dolphins aren't good enough to just gift them wins on their schedule.

10-6 is making the playoffs in the AFC. The Raiders aren't getting to 10 wins, and the Dolphins aren't getting to 11 wins.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Generally don't agree. I've been saying all along... teams like the Raiders and Dolphins aren't good enough to just gift them wins on their schedule.

10-6 is making the playoffs in the AFC. The Raiders aren't getting to 10 wins, and the Dolphins aren't getting to 11 wins.
You're right. The chiefs turned the ball over i believe 4 times, no wonder they managed to stay alive
Plus, Raiders and Dolphins play each other in two weeks which assures another L.
Colts are likely to win 2 because they play Houston and Jacksonville. -> we have to win all games to catch up.
But in the end it's all about us. 3/4 is very doable.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
You can't rely on other teams to lose for you. If we don't win today we are fucked. I can see us winning any wild card game now that Pitt is the 2 and not KC. I pray we get Pitt in round one because we are so much better than them and we aren't even good. If we finish 11-5 the 6 and 5 seed are likely. If we finish in the 7th seed, no matter what we do round one means a beating in KC the next week. If we have to go to Nashville or Buffalo, I think we could definitely pull it off.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
You can't rely on other teams to lose for you. If we don't win today we are fucked. I can see us winning any wild card game now that Pitt is the 2 and not KC. I pray we get Pitt in round one because we are so much better than them and we aren't even good. If we finish 11-5 the 6 and 5 seed are likely. If we finish in the 7th seed, no matter what we do round one means a beating in KC the next week. If we have to go to Nashville or Buffalo, I think we could definitely pull it off.
Well, largely, I'm confused by this post to begin with. I really don't see any difference between being the 5 or the 7 quite frankly, because its still a road game, potentially against a team that's already beaten us, and it likely won't be KC.

If the objective is to pretend like we can get to the SB without playing KC, I'm not sure that's realistic at this point. I would bet a large sum of money that the SB rep from the AFC will either be the Chiefs or whoever beats the Chiefs. Can't run away from it. Got to push for it.

Plus, by definition, being a wildcard team and winning a playoff game means you're extremely likely to be playing the top seed in the next round anyway. Just because the 7th seed guarantees it doesn't mean the other seeds are better options.

Even if we somehow manage to get the 5 seed, why would you think the 6 and the 7 are better to beat the likes of Pittsburgh or Buffalo or Tennessee? I'd like Pittsburgh to beat Cleveland in the playoffs. I'd like Pittsburgh to beat Miami in the playoffs. I'd like Pittsburgh to beat Indianapolis in the playoffs.

We're not in a position to care about seeding. We should win out because winning out is pretty much the only way to guarantee us entrance to the party. I think 10-6 has a great shot, but that also puts enormous pressure on all of our last 3 games, including a game in two weeks against a team who will likely be more desperate than we will be.

Francois Boulianne

Practice Squad
Now that we've beaten the Browns, my understanding is that if we take care of all our remaining games, we will only need one loss from any of the Dolphins, the Colts or the Browns through their 9 combined remaining games to qualify. Am I wrong?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Now that we've beaten the Browns, my understanding is that if we take care of all our remaining games, we will only need one loss from any of the Dolphins, the Colts or the Browns through their 9 combined remaining games to qualify. Am I wrong?
Not 1000% sure on the Dolphins, but generally, yes.

Finish 11-5, and we own tiebreakers over both Indy and Cleveland. So if either of them finishes 11-5, we'll be ahead of them no matter what.

Good news is that it seems unlikely that pretty much anybody in the AFC will be able to rest players, at least at this point.

Dolphins are ahead of us at the moment with a better conference record. If they lose once and we win out, we'll have the same record (11-5) and same conference record (7-5), and likely the same Common games record (assuming that Miami beats NE this weekend). If that's the case, it would go to Strength of Victory.

I haven't done the math on what that would look like. Right now, the SOV for the Dolphins is patheticly bad. However, they play three teams with decent records coming up, so they could boost that. Especially true if they beat BUF. Plus we obviously have three below .500 teams on our schedule the rest of the way.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Not retaining gus Edwards would be a huge mistake. He’s a core piece and there’s just something different with gus and this team.

Agreed. People will still probably attack me for this, but I'd say this year, gus may be our most important back. I definitely believe Dobbins is the future, but boy does Gus give you a fight for every yard. He also breaks 2 or 3 long ones off what seems like every game.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not retaining gus Edwards would be a huge mistake. He’s a core piece and there’s just something different with gus and this team.
He's a restricted FA next year. He'll be back. With him, price tag is a question mark, but with the RFA tenders, he won't make that much to begin with. Would imagine he'll get a sizable increase from the $750K he's currently slated at, but my guess is he would land somewhere around $2-3M. Ravens have given one year contracts above the RFA tenders to players like him before.

Plus you'll pick up $5M in cap savings by cutting Ingram, so it shouldn't be a $ issue.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Agreed. People will still probably attack me for this, but I'd say this year, gus may be our most important back. I definitely believe Dobbins is the future, but boy does Gus give you a fight for every yard. He also breaks 2 or 3 long ones off what seems like every game.
I’d agree entirely, he’s been our most impressive back this year but beyond that he’s such a reliable guy, like he’s so consistent and he is a grinder but he still has breakaway ability, he’s constantly ripping off big runs
Gus is gonna be here for at least 1 more year so no need to worry about that yet
I know he will be, but I even want him long term, I just really think we lose a lot of our identity without him
He's a restricted FA next year. He'll be back. With him, price tag is a question mark, but with the RFA tenders, he won't make that much to begin with. Would imagine he'll get a sizable increase from the $750K he's currently slated at, but my guess is he would land somewhere around $2-3M. Ravens have given one year contracts above the RFA tenders to players like him before.

Plus you'll pick up $5M in cap savings by cutting Ingram, so it shouldn't be a $ issue.
Beyond the money though, he’s just so important to this team and prior to this season I underrated him, now I can’t argue anymore, he is a core player.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Gus Edwards is totally underrated by many. Maybe not on this board, but I know a former member that really isn't a fan and thinks he's overrated.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Gus and Dobbins with a little bit of Hill sounds ridiculously fun. I really hope Mark retires after this season and works in some capacity for the Ravens to help the RBs. Either that, or as an analyst.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Ingram clowns too much and Steve gets too goddamn angry and defensive lmao, I feel like they would always be bickering back and forth like shaq and Barkley
And that’s fine with me lol.. I love that other tandem

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Nice take on Lamar in the first couple of minutes.