• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah I agree. Orlando Brown's contract is up next year though. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but i think he's the only one who's not suited for an outside zone scheme.
I mean I look what Shanahan is able to do, despite Garoppolo and key offensive players on IR. He turns normal rbs into monsters. You see wrs making plays whose names you haven't heard before. He calls an offense which puts his players in position to make plays according to their respective strengths

dont get me wrong - i think it's an amazing scheme and shanahan's a genius i just dont know that it's a good fit (as it looks now) with what lamar's done best through his first 3 years

then again it should be mentioned that if the packers make the superbowl that 4 of the last 5 superbowls will have featured either shanahan's offence or someone from kyle's branch of the kubiak coaching tree - his falcons in 2016, mcvay's rams in 2018, his 49ers in 2019 and possibly matt lafleur's packers in 2020

so maybe you're right - it doesn't feel like a fit but the best offensive coordinators and systems are able to tailor themselves for their personnel so it could be a fit for Lamar (again I just can't imagine what that would look like without neutering lamar's most explosive qualities)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
dont get me wrong - i think it's an amazing scheme and shanahan's a genius i just dont know that it's a good fit (as it looks now) with what lamar's done best through his first 3 years

then again it should be mentioned that if the packers make the superbowl that 4 of the last 5 superbowls will have featured either shanahan's offence or someone from kyle's branch of the kubiak coaching tree - his falcons in 2016, mcvay's rams in 2018, his 49ers in 2019 and possibly matt lafleur's packers in 2020

so maybe you're right - it doesn't feel like a fit but the best offensive coordinators and systems are able to tailor themselves for their personnel so it could be a fit for Lamar (again I just can't imagine what that would look like without neutering lamar's most explosive qualities)
I've always considered Kubiak part of Mike Shanahan's coaching tree^_^

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

lets not forget that Kyle made RG3 look explosive and I'm not just talking about his running. He had WRs running open all over the field with RG3 at QB. Hell he did the same for Rex Grossman in 2011.

Reactions: cdp

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
that's a good point about RGIII
now lets not forget the offensive lineman were all well suited for an outside zbs as that is what Shanahan installed in Washington when Mike / Kyle were hired in Washington in 2010. They continued the use of this even under RG3, but much more pistol and read option when he was drafted.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I’m still peeved we didn’t hire Kyle after he interviewed for the OC position. Call me a conspiracy theorist but I felt like Harbaugh’s ego got in the way and didn’t want Kyle to be promoted to HC.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Also, it’s pretty telling how we haven’t heard a peep of interest surrounding Roman as a HC when there are so many vacancies

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Also, it’s pretty telling how we haven’t heard a peep of interest surrounding Roman as a HC when there are so many vacancies

Has he gotten an interview with any team yet? I think even Culley got an interview with at least one team. Whole league knows Roman is holding us back.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Has he gotten an interview with any team yet? I think even Culley got an interview with at least one team. Whole league knows Roman is holding us back.
There hasn’t been literally a peep about Roman. It’s really interesting

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Still shocked by that. Only 2 vacancies left really, too. But apparently no one really wants the Houston job lol

i mean tbf who would want the houston job right now...

the owner's started hiring people as if it's some sort of megachurch
toxic environment with game of thrones-esque power struggles going on
franchise Qb doesn't want to be there and might force his way out
Best player in franchise history is completely disillusioned
no picks
no cap space
bad roster

if you as a coach go there, you're going there with the understanding that you probably have zero control and may find yourself being a scapegoat depending on the patience of the ownership (and easterby etc.) - you have to 100% be a player's coach at this point or you wont survive the locker room

JAAM

Hall of Famer

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Still shocked by that. Only 2 vacancies left really, too. But apparently no one really wants the Houston job lol
reminds me of the Skins job when Jim Zorn ended up becoming the head coach, back in 2008.

What happened that year is Dan Snyder had interviewed Jim Fassel. Fassel wanted to bring Jim Zorn in has offensive coordinator, but he didn't hire Fassel because the rumor got out and the fan base erupted with a bunch of negativity. Zorn was already hired at the time and the team couldn't find a coach who wanted the job and in the end on Vinny Cerratos recommendation they just promoted Jim Zorn to head coach. This is what eventually did Vinny Cerrato in, in Washington.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
EDB44251-BABF-4586-9ED6-7B4A9EBD4574.jpeg