• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
tbf i think it's tough to say roman failed against the titans - guys didnt execute in key spots but we put over 500 yds of offence on them despite giving up multiple turnovers and getting turned over on 4th and 1 twice

idk but not sure what more roman was supposed to do against the titans...
Wasn’t most of those yards due to a ton of passing to try to make up a huge deficit in points ? A lot of it was in garbage time.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Wasn’t most of those yards due to a ton of passing to try to make up a huge deficit in points ? A lot of it was in garbage time.

im pretty sure we out-gained the titans in every single quarter of the game...

but... we 2 separate 44 yd drives end in an INT, we had 4 drives end in a turnover on downs (2 in the 4th quarter we won't worry about because we were chasing the game at that point but the other 2 ended 58 yd drive and a 20 yd drive), we had a 91 yd drive end up in only a fg at the Tennessee 4 yd line because we ran out of time before the half

there were 2 drives that were basically garbage time that accounted for about 120 yds between them but then again if we'd managed to score a td on the first one of those instead of turning it over on downs then it becomes a 1 score game and then it's very much not garbage time...

we moved the ball with relative ease on the titans D all game in 2019 we just shot ourselves in the foot in key situations - we basically turned the ball over 5 times (2 INTs, 1 fumble and 2 4th-and-1 failures)

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Harbaugh: I'd like to bring in an Anquan Boldin but can we do it and move the resources from other things we need.

That basically tells me we won't be signing Allen Robinson. Now him defending Roman isn't a surprise but he's definitely on the hot seat heading into the season if we are keeping Roman.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Harbaugh: I'd like to bring in an Anquan Boldin but can we do it and move the resources from other things we need.

That basically tells me we won't be signing Allen Robinson. Now him defending Roman isn't a surprise but he's definitely on the hot seat heading into the season if we are keeping Roman.
You can't have three straight playoff years of massive offensive scheme failures and being out coached and not be on the hot seat.

Two straight years we should have been to the AFC championship or better.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
this should not be a surprise to anybody who followed this team through the Harb’s era. Lol.

Most of us expected this, but it's still disappointing lol

Harbs better be keeping Roman on a short leash and he better have an in-house backup plan should Roman fail to improve the passing game considerably over the first half of the season. We can't keep going into the playoffs with a pedestrian passing game and expect different results (remind me what the definition of "insanity" is...).

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Looking at the entire season, I would have to say that Yanda retiring was by far the biggest loss to the team this year.

A first ballot IMO Hall of Fame guard that kept the line in sync. That play before Lamar's pick in the Buffalo game is a TD throw with Yanda there in the line.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Bills mafia is something else man. I’ll be rooting for them all the way.

In a fantasy world, Bills would beat the chiefs and signed mark ingram for the super bowl.
I started rooting for the bills when josh Allen caught a td pass from John brown, and then did John browns patented TD dance.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don’t wanna put it all on Roman, our OL was putrid, the bills had an incredible game plan, and the weather was against us, so I won’t pin this loss on Roman.

I will pin this loss on the offense in its entirety along with just not being the most well suited team to win that night.

however, I will absolutely pin the uselessness of our entire wr corps over the course of 2+ years on Roman. And cite my sources as every other stint he’s had in the nfl yielding the same results. A trend is a trend is a trend is a trend. If harbaugh excuses it anymore, well it’s just that, excuses. I’ll still rock with harbaugh but we’ve been down this road many times, leaving cam, hiring kubiak against harbaughs wishes, moving on from Marty, he’s gotta show that he himself is progressing as a coach and make moves that are needed
1. Just to clarify... hiring Kubiak was Harbaugh's idea. The terrible journalism that started that conspiracy theory literally had to write a retraction in their own paper saying what they reported wasn't true.
Also fun fact... Kyle Shanahan was interviewed for that job.
2. My problem is... why aren't these receivers just going elsewhere and playing great? Like that list is almost non-existent. Its pretty much Darren Waller and nobody else. Like we've got a lot of draft picks that have come and gone through here at the WR position, and almost none of them have panned out. Not only have they not panned out here... they haven't panned out anywhere. So either they're just perpetually getting bad coaching, OR, they're just not very good. And it would logically seem that not every Ravens receiver gets bad coaching for the rest of his life... those kinds of odds are just far too unrealistic to be a reality.

The answer is the same answer its been for many years... these receivers aren't any good AND the Ravens coaches aren't any good at maximizing their talents.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
1. Just to clarify... hiring Kubiak was Harbaugh's idea. The terrible journalism that started that conspiracy theory literally had to write a retraction in their own paper saying what they reported wasn't true.
Also fun fact... Kyle Shanahan was interviewed for that job.
2. My problem is... why aren't these receivers just going elsewhere and playing great? Like that list is almost non-existent. Its pretty much Darren Waller and nobody else. Like we've got a lot of draft picks that have come and gone through here at the WR position, and almost none of them have panned out. Not only have they not panned out here... they haven't panned out anywhere. So either they're just perpetually getting bad coaching, OR, they're just not very good. And it would logically seem that not every Ravens receiver gets bad coaching for the rest of his life... those kinds of odds are just far too unrealistic to be a reality.

The answer is the same answer its been for many years... these receivers aren't any good AND the Ravens coaches aren't any good at maximizing their talents.
Well.... all fair points lol, no arguments, maybe we flat out suck at picking them lol.

I almost believe that we forum posters can spot a good wr before the ravens can lmao

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well.... all fair points lol, no arguments, maybe we flat out suck at picking them lol.

I almost believe that we forum posters can spot a good wr before the ravens can lmao
Well, and, in the last like 12 years, we've had Flacco and Lamar. One was an inconsistent passer who was always terrible the more he threw, and the other is a highly mobile QB in a run heavy offense who's probably never going to throw it more than 30 times in a game we're in a position to win.

So its not like we've had Peyton Manning out here going 4 wide and throwing 50 passes a game because of mismatches.

So, like, receivers are never going to have premier numbers with these quarterbacks. On volume alone, its just not happening. But more than like 75% of them have just flat out sucked here. That's never going to be a combination of just one thing.

Like Harbaugh is the common denominator, but then again, he only has some input into the players we draft, and he's not directly responsible for individual WR development. We've had two GMs, neither of which has done well drafting WRs, and we've had countless WR coaches, offensive coordinators, etc. I can't point to any single one of them that was outstanding in that area.

So like I can't sit here and blame Harbaugh just because he's the only one that's been here the whole time, because he's not directly responsible for the growth of each and every single player on the roster. His job is much more broad than that and his job is to prepare his team each week, not necessarily 53 individual players.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

it's the same thing ive been saying for multiple years now (probably getting boring at this point the amount of times ive repeated it)

we just haven't picked enough receivers - if we think of the draft as a lottery then to expect success we have to buy enough tickets - at almost every position we take multiple shots with high picks on a regular basis except WR (until 2019)

we've taken as many WRs in the first 2 days the last 2 years as we had the previous 12...

we have to keep taking WRs if we want good players at that position