• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

The Last Great Raven

Practice Squad
Banned
Ravens mighta been able to beat Buffalo with better QB play. No way Ravens get close to K.C. Coaching might help. Still...Everyone knows what the real problem is.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
I do think we would have played the Chiefs better than the Bills did yesterday. Still don't think we would have won.

Mahomes's talent is on another level. Brady level in his prime with a better arm and more mobility. He will be a problem fo the Ravens for as long as he's in the league.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I do think we would have played the Chiefs better than the Bills did yesterday. Still don't think we would have won.

Mahomes's talent is on another level. Brady level in his prime with a better arm and more mobility. He will be a problem fo the Ravens for as long as he's in the league.
Prime arod and brady mixed together

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

We should really offer Ed the DB job. I know parts of his game can't be coached, but it's all based on film study.

I've said this about 40 times, and I still think its true...

I don't think Ed really has any desire to be an assistant coach on an NFL team. He can say what he wants, and he's done it once, but there is literally no glamour in being a DBs coach in the NFL. 16 hour days for like half the calendar year, no time to travel back to Miami or go where you want to go, AND, at least by Ed's standards, it pays dog crap. I'd be surprised of a DB coach made more than $1M a year, and its probably less than that. The guys got $51M in career earnings. I just don't see him working his ass off, out of the spotlight, for months and months for such little pay.

I think he would love to be a DC or a HC, and I think he would do that in a second. But I really don't think he has the desire to be a positional coach in the NFL.

Simba

Staff Member

I don't think Ed really has any desire to be an assistant coach on an NFL team. He can say what he wants, and he's done it once, but there is literally no glamour in being a DBs coach in the NFL. 16 hour days for like half the calendar year, no time to travel back to Miami or go where you want to go, AND, at least by Ed's standards, it pays dog crap. I'd be surprised of a DB coach made more than $1M a year, and its probably less than that. The guys got $51M in career earnings. I just don't see him working his ass off, out of the spotlight, for months and months for such little pay.

I think he would love to be a DC or a HC, and I think he would do that in a second. But I really don't think he has the desire to be a positional coach in the NFL.

Agreed. He tried it. It didn’t work out. He wants the glamour positions now, and if he’s gonna get that, it’s gotta be at a lower level college like Deion. That’s the only way he’s working his way up to that level in the nfl without starting as a lower level assistant. But don’t think it’s happening regardless.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

I only saw Ed's first tweet and I thought he's serious about being a DB/secondary coach. Now that I've seen his 2nd tweet and I don't think anyone offers him a DC gig without any relevant experience.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Bills with their 95% pass 5 % run game are not built to beat the Chiefs .

We are , just need a better passing game , no 1 receiver like a DJ Metcalf and better offensive linemen, in the interior.

Even though we lost to the Bills , it is us that is better equipped to take out the Chiefs . Even the Titans with Henry are better equipped than the Bills to beat the Chiefs

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I only saw Ed's first tweet and I thought he's serious about being a DB/secondary coach. Now that I've seen his 2nd tweet and I don't think anyone offers him a DC gig without any relevant experience.
I think he wants to be a coach with "power". And I can't blame him. Being a DB coach in the NFL comes with essentially none of that.

I think he's going to start at either High School or low level college, coach defense, work his way up to HC gig, then try to impress people enough to give him a DC gig in the NFL.

I've probably said this a thousand times... great players typically don't make the best coaches. I can't point to any definitive reasons why that is, but generally, a lot of these guys can't find the "off" switch until they're like well into their 40s. I would bet Ed genuinely thinks he can still play well in the NFL (which of course he can't) and that he's better than some of the guys he'd be coaching in the NFL. That's probably the worst thought process you'd ever want from a coach. It's why I said guys like Peyton Manning will never be great coaches. Like sure, they're supremely intelligent and can see things others don't, but they can't turn it off. They have almost an unhealthy level of knowledge and they can't fathom why others wouldn't want to work as hard as them, understand what they understand, etc. Its why Belichick pisses off so many players. He demands perfection and attention to detail. A lot of NFL players don't think that way.

A lot of the better coaches were rather innocuous players themselves. Average or below average guys, shorter careers, etc. They're hungrier.

Simba

Staff Member
I think he wants to be a coach with "power". And I can't blame him. Being a DB coach in the NFL comes with essentially none of that.

I think he's going to start at either High School or low level college, coach defense, work his way up to HC gig, then try to impress people enough to give him a DC gig in the NFL.

I've probably said this a thousand times... great players typically don't make the best coaches. I can't point to any definitive reasons why that is, but generally, a lot of these guys can't find the "off" switch until they're like well into their 40s. I would bet Ed genuinely thinks he can still play well in the NFL (which of course he can't) and that he's better than some of the guys he'd be coaching in the NFL. That's probably the worst thought process you'd ever want from a coach. It's why I said guys like Peyton Manning will never be great coaches. Like sure, they're supremely intelligent and can see things others don't, but they can't turn it off. They have almost an unhealthy level of knowledge and they can't fathom why others wouldn't want to work as hard as them, understand what they understand, etc. Its why Belichick pisses off so many players. He demands perfection and attention to detail. A lot of NFL players don't think that way.

A lot of the better coaches were rather innocuous players themselves. Average or below average guys, shorter careers, etc. They're hungrier.

I think you nailed it and that's why many superstars don't go on to coach at high levels. They have such a supreme amount of knowledge and natural ability, that it's almost unteachable. In Ed's particular case, you can't coach the instincts that he showed. So to see that on film and try to coach a player up... it's just not going to work. That's something uniquely Ed Reed.

That's often why you see a bunch of failed/unheralded college players turning into good coaches. So many head coaches now are guys that played in college but never had the natural ability. But they understand the nuance of the game and are good communicators. That's what is coachable, not the innate abilities of superstars that is basically impossible to expect someone else to do.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

We are , just need a better passing game , no 1 receiver like a DJ Metcalf and better offensive linemen, in the interior.

Even though we lost to the Bills , it is us that is better equipped to take out the Chiefs . Even the Titans with Henry are better equipped than the Bills to beat the Chiefs
I think Dk wouldnt fit well here.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

Its probably why i suck at teachibg lmao

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

I was a little salty with a couple of the Bills fans who came in here with their game breakdown. Like they were generally nice about it, but I kind of chuckled when watching them the last couple weeks...

Like their whole argument was "how do people slow down their offense". I said just wait and see what playoff football looks like. Its not just running up and down the field all game doing whatever you want.

Buffalo's regular season:
31.3 PPG scored
3.75 TDs per game

22.4 first downs per game (excluding penalties)
49.7% on 3rd down
8.0 yards/attempt passing

4.2 yards/attempt rushing
406.8 yards/game
1.7 sacks/game allowed

Buffalo's post-season:
22.7 PPG scored (includes a pick six and a ST turnover on the goal line)
2.3 TDs per game

19 first downs per game (excluding penalties)
30.5% on 3rd down
6.8 yards/attempt passing

4.7 yards/attempt rushing
358.0 yards/game
2.7 sacks/game allowed

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Speaking of the Bills... Bills Mafia is really something else. Standing in 15 degree weather waiting on the team to come back after a playoff loss, just incredible.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

The crazy thing about Mahomes is just how easy he has it

He is a phenomenal QB and the only reason they can run the offence they do is because of his arm talent, his athleticism and his ability to run that offence

but running that offence is like sitting in an arm chair

this is how many tight window throws Mahomes has made in his 2 playoff games:

vs Browns: 0
vs Bills: 3

not a single QB makes throws to receivers with more separation than the Chiefs - now part of that is that Kelce and Tyreek are insanely talented but a ton of that is scheme

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think you nailed it and that's why many superstars don't go on to coach at high levels. They have such a supreme amount of knowledge and natural ability, that it's almost unteachable. In Ed's particular case, you can't coach the instincts that he showed. So to see that on film and try to coach a player up... it's just not going to work. That's something uniquely Ed Reed.

That's often why you see a bunch of failed/unheralded college players turning into good coaches. So many head coaches now are guys that played in college but never had the natural ability. But they understand the nuance of the game and are good communicators. That's what is coachable, not the innate abilities of superstars that is basically impossible to expect someone else to do.

yeah you cant coach the tape study detail that he has - to spot something on tape against the best QBs in history and know that they're gonna see it too and then have the ability to set up that QB over multiple plays to make them make a "mistake"

the instincts that go into that kind of play is unteachable and that was the sort of stuff that made Ed special - the ability to outthink the best thinkers in the history of the sport

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I was a little salty with a couple of the Bills fans who came in here with their game breakdown. Like they were generally nice about it, but I kind of chuckled when watching them the last couple weeks...

Like their whole argument was "how do people slow down their offense". I said just wait and see what playoff football looks like. Its not just running up and down the field all game doing whatever you want.

Buffalo's regular season:
31.3 PPG scored
3.75 TDs per game

22.4 first downs per game (excluding penalties)
49.7% on 3rd down
8.0 yards/attempt passing

4.2 yards/attempt rushing
406.8 yards/game
1.7 sacks/game allowed

Buffalo's post-season:
22.7 PPG scored (includes a pick six and a ST turnover on the goal line)
2.3 TDs per game

19 first downs per game (excluding penalties)
30.5% on 3rd down
6.8 yards/attempt passing

4.7 yards/attempt rushing
358.0 yards/game
2.7 sacks/game allowed

that just tells me that post-season football is hard
this looks a lot like the data that's used to criticise Lamar in the post-season

I wonder if we'll be seeing any media pile-ons about Josh Allen now - about how he doesn't perform in the post-season, how his style of play is unsustainable in the post-season and how he can't beat the Chiefs (*he says sarcastically*)

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
The crazy thing about Mahomes is just how easy he has it

He is a phenomenal QB and the only reason they can run the offence they do is because of his arm talent, his athleticism and his ability to run that offence

but running that offence is like sitting in an arm chair

this is how many tight window throws Mahomes has made in his 2 playoff games:

vs Browns: 0
vs Bills: 3

not a single QB makes throws to receivers with more separation than the Chiefs - now part of that is that Kelce and Tyreek are insanely talented but a ton of that is scheme
The off balance curving the ball throws and extended plays is also a reason for that.. the way he was moving around in the pocket last night was crazy.. i didnt know wtf i was watching

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The off balance curving the ball throws and extended plays is also a reason for that.. the way he was moving around in the pocket last night was crazy.. i didnt know wtf i was watching

that's the thing that makes him exceptional - his ability to perform miracles in the pocket lol - the scheme is partly so difficult to beat because they can only run it because of Mahomes' exceptional talent

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
that just tells me that post-season football is hard
this looks a lot like the data that's used to criticise Lamar in the post-season

I wonder if we'll be seeing any media pile-ons about Josh Allen now - about how he doesn't perform in the post-season, how his style of play is unsustainable in the post-season and how he can't beat the Chiefs (*he says sarcastically*)
Unrelated but imagine the outrage if Lamar threw the ball at a defender's helmet after taking a 20 yard sack