• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

D1City55

Pro Bowler
I don't know about our chances at the FA class of WRs given our lack of the offense targeting WRs this past year. That's going to play a role next season.

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
We really let zadarous walk

No one saw Z.Smith breaking out like this. I mean this year his sack total eclipsed the past two years combined.
Now admittedly he showed improvement with his QB Pressures his last two years with us. It was hard to judge none of our guys best one on one blocks consistently enough to think they were anything more than rotational guys.

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't know about our chances at the FA class of WRs given our lack of the offense targeting WRs this past year. That's going to play a role next season.

This will be the media’s running theme all offseason too. But the team has to sell that with an upgrade at the position and capable playmakers the ball will be spread around accordingly. M.Brown was the only Receiver capable of getting open or threatening the defense deep. Lamar definitely had games where he was locked on Brown.

AJ Green ( bengals don’t franchise) Fitzgerald on a 1 year. Maybe E.Sanders or Robby Anderson if price is reasonable.

flynismo

Practice Squad

Yeah I'm pretty sure playing for a 14-2 team led by the (presumably) MVP QB will outweigh that.
If it doesn't, then that isn't a guy we want anyway.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
No one saw Z.Smith breaking out like this. I mean this year his sack total eclipsed the past two years combined.
Now admittedly he showed improvement with his QB Pressures his last two years with us. It was hard to judge none of our guys best one on one blocks consistently enough to think they were anything more than rotational guys.
I mean he was great at setting the edge and like you said his hurries increased. Losing him, mosley were big yet people acted like it didnt matter.

Reactions: cdp

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
based on his production, even the improvement in year four, he wasn't worth giving him the salary that he got. That being said, I'm happy for him, but wish he showed that improvement in year four so we could have found a way to keep him in the fold.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
based on his production, even the improvement in year four, he wasn't worth giving him the salary that he got. That being said, I'm happy for him, but wish he showed that improvement in year four so we could have found a way to keep him in the fold.
Do you think we will sign judon to prevent another zadarius situation from happening

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Do you think we will sign judon to prevent another zadarius situation from happening
I'm not sure what we do in this situation. I've been back and forth on this one. Judon would probably have been better if someone else was on the other side or if we had a better interior rusher. This year he was pretty much it as a pass rusher and although many of his sacks were coverage sacks, he was 16th in the league in total pressures (63) with 9.5 sacks. Judon had a better year this year than ZDS had with us last year. I absolutely think we will try to sign him, but we may not pay him what he wants, which is probably going to be around 17-18m per season.

Craven_Raven

Practice Squad

I think you’re inverting the cause and effect. We saw why we never relied on the WR corps in the playoff game. If you have a sure handed WR that makes a couple of plays the complexion of that game is completely different. The only sure hands at WR belong to a diminutive guy who has to hit the dirt to avoid injury or have the perfect ball lofted over defenders to him, he’s not someone who can phyiscially battle and high point DBs or give the QB an oversized catch radius to target. That’s what we have to have in this offense and we don’t. Willie is okay, but he’s a possession guy with average speed and physical attributes. Roberts and Boykin shouldn’t be top 3 options and wouldn’t be on most contenders.

One of the most unfair takes since pro-bowl voting began was that Lamar was “surrounded by talent”. In the loss it became evident he isn’t which is something I’d also said from the beginning.

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think you’re inverting the cause and effect. We saw why we never relied on the WR corps in the playoff game. If you have a sure handed WR that makes a couple of plays the complexion of that game is completely different. The only sure hands at WR belong to a diminutive guy who has to hit the dirt to avoid injury or have the perfect ball lofted over defenders to him, he’s not someone who can phyiscially battle and high point DBs. That’s what we have to have in this offense and we don’t. Willie is okay, but he’s a possession guy with average speed and physical attributes. Roberts and Boykin shouldn’t be top 3 options and wouldn’t be on most contenders.
That’s what we have TEs for

Greg Roman didn’t do enough to diversify the gameplan. His entire gameplan was to air it out from 5 wide all night and let Lamar be Superman while the pass protection got destroyed. Gus Edwards has been blasting defenders for weeks now, we moved the Steelers front with ease and that was without Lamar, they stuck it to the TEs and shut down the passing game, what Roman should’ve tried to is make the TEs a decoy and run the ball right at the TE coverage, force the defenses hand in the run game and THEN turn around and use the TEs.

Seth Roberts fucking killed us, that’s for sure, but the gameplan was terrible. There is no reason we should’ve went 5 wide and targeted Roberts and Snead and Hollywood all goddamn night.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
Yeah I'm pretty sure playing for a 14-2 team led by the (presumably) MVP QB will outweigh that.
If it doesn't, then that isn't a guy we want anyway.
WRs care about their own numbers, that's the nature of their position. Of course there will be guys interested in coming here but it really depends on that type of guys personal goals. A guy like AJ Green could be hell bent on proving to the world that he's still one of the best WRs in the league, I think he would rather be in a pass happy offense.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
This will be the media’s running theme all offseason too. But the team has to sell that with an upgrade at the position and capable playmakers the ball will be spread around accordingly. M.Brown was the only Receiver capable of getting open or threatening the defense deep. Lamar definitely had games where he was locked on Brown.

AJ Green ( bengals don’t franchise) Fitzgerald on a 1 year. Maybe E.Sanders or Robby Anderson if price is reasonable.
I don't think the receivers are good at all, that Willie Snead extension is not looking like a good idea atm because he let us down.

I'm not big on AJ, he's a top 10 talent but I think we need someone here who were can depend on to be active, AJs injuries worry me. Top 10 talent at WR but he's barely been available lately.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
WRs care about their own numbers, that's the nature of their position. Of course there will be guys interested in coming here but it really depends on that type of guys personal goals. A guy like AJ Green could be hell bent on proving to the world that he's still one of the best WRs in the league, I think he would rather be in a pass happy offense.
Good point. I think Robby Anderson would sign here in a heartbeat if given an offer, especially after waiting in line to get a jersey signed by Lamar.

Craven_Raven

Practice Squad
That’s what we have TEs for

Greg Roman didn’t do enough to diversify the gameplan. His entire gameplan was to air it out from 5 wide all night and let Lamar be Superman while the pass protection got destroyed. Gus Edwards has been blasting defenders for weeks now, we moved the Steelers front with ease and that was without Lamar, they stuck it to the TEs and shut down the passing game, what Roman should’ve tried to is make the TEs a decoy and run the ball right at the TE coverage, force the defenses hand in the run game and THEN turn around and use the TEs.

Seth Roberts fucking killed us, that’s for sure, but the gameplan was terrible. There is no reason we should’ve went 5 wide and targeted Roberts and Snead and Hollywood all goddamn night.

The TEs don’t get separation, they’re slow and relatively unathletic. They’re big targets but they perform a different function in the offense. And why in the hell wouldn’t you want more of that?

The gameplan looked like we panicked. I’m not even sure we saw the original gameplan after they got up 7-0. The offensive gameplan reeked of desperation, going for it on 4th down in field goal range of a one score game reeked of desperation. The coaches were unhinged and that certainly didn’t do anything to help the players.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
I think you’re inverting the cause and effect. We saw why we never relied on the WR corps in the playoff game. If you have a sure handed WR that makes a couple of plays the complexion of that game is completely different. The only sure hands at WR belong to a diminutive guy who has to hit the dirt to avoid injury or have the perfect ball lofted over defenders to him, he’s not someone who can phyiscially battle and high point DBs or give the QB an oversized catch radius to target. That’s what we have to have in this offense and we don’t. Willie is okay, but he’s a possession guy with average speed and physical attributes. Roberts and Boykin shouldn’t be top 3 options and wouldn’t be on most contenders.

One of the most unfair takes since pro-bowl voting began was that Lamar was “surrounded by talent”. In the loss it became evident he isn’t which is something I’d also said from the beginning.
WRs are a weak link, but we did things this year with those same group of receivers in terms of being able to take advantage of teams 8/9 man fronts that we just didn't do this game. I think some of Lamar's passes got away from him and it played a pivotal role in terms of the Titans commitment to the run. We just didn't do enough to get them out of those fronts. I think Boykin is in a shaky spot because he has not looked good outside of short yardage plays and that one catch against Seattle for 50 yards accounted for about 25% of his total offensive production this year? That pretty much tells the story as far as that goes.

I will say this though, Roberts screwed up dropping that pass big time because if he comes down with that it's a house call easily. That might have gotten them out of their commitment to the run and shifted the momentum in our favor. He blew with that one, would like to see him back though since he's on a cheap deal.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
What a season guys. What a season. I have had more fun cheering for this team this year then ever before, it was just so fun to watch.

I did not like the game plan, we abandoned the run when we did not need to. I know Ingram was hurt, RUN GUS? It was very clear how hard Lamar was taking everything has the game progressed, I loved that part. However it leads to forcing things yourself when you don't have to, that is inexperience and youth. Lamar is 22-23, that is insane to me. The receivers outside of Brown did not show up. That one drop by Roberts was huge. That was easily a touchdown and moment. TE's outside of Hurst did show up either, Hurst also had a TD had he turned his body and caught a ball that slapped him on the shoulder.

I like us to chase after Clowney this offseason, Tavon is coming back by the way guys. Our defense should be much improved next year. Brown is finally going to be healthy going into the season next year and I expect him to be highlighted much more next year. He has amazing hands and that catch in triple coverage was outrageous