• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Simple don't respond. Skip over, take a few more days off to observe how "dumb" people are. Your expectations of a message board is unrealistic. You always have smart ass remarks and condescending replies.
LOL, you guys are meeting my expectations right now. I think that's what you're not understanding.

How about this... I'll continue to do what I've been doing on here for years. And if you're unhappy with that, you can take whatever actions you feel like you can to make yourself less butt-hurt about it.

As long as people have bad opinions, I will be here to criticize them for it. That's how message boards work. Any way you break it down it all comes back to that. If you're unhappy or uncomfortable with that, perhaps consider whether said opinion is more better utilized as an internal opinion vs an external one.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Fair. I'm just tired of it. I think he's holding back Lamar and I would welcome a change. I also don't want the "injury" excuse for Roman when Wink wasn't wasn't so lucky. If Roman is retained, I have no doubt he'll have a hot seat before the season starts.
Because Wink didn't have nearly the injury excuse that Roman did. Frankly, the defense was largely healthy for at least half the season. They basically lost Peters. Marlon Humphrey was out there through November. Elliott played almost half the season. A lot of the "the defense is banged up" stuff came in December, and the Ravens defense wasn't overly impressive in September, October, or November. They had good games, but they had some dreadful one's.

Wink got fired because he never really was able to adapt to personnel issues, and he did a worse job than even Roman of adapting in-game strategies.

In my opinion, Wink's style of defense isn't overly sustainable, and isn't likely to give that much trouble to the better QBs in the league. I'm all for aggression and exotic blitzing, but when you don't have the personnel to generate a pass rush without blitzing, its kind of a wrap for me. And I'm not blaming Wink entirely for it, but based on some of the decisions I've seen from the FO the last few years, I don't think generating pass rush via personnel talent is a high priority. I think its pretty clear to the league that interior pass rush is critical in this league, because most QBs are mobile these days and beating outside rushers has become a lot easier.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Because Wink didn't have nearly the injury excuse that Roman did. Frankly, the defense was largely healthy for at least half the season. They basically lost Peters. Marlon Humphrey was out there through November. Elliott played almost half the season. A lot of the "the defense is banged up" stuff came in December, and the Ravens defense wasn't overly impressive in September, October, or November. They had good games, but they had some dreadful one's.

Wink got fired because he never really was able to adapt to personnel issues, and he did a worse job than even Roman of adapting in-game strategies.

I want Roman gone bad but this is 100% truth. Before the season starts Roman loses top 2 backs. First game loses starting LT. Sometime early I'm pretty sure Mekari gets hurt for an OL that wa already questionable.

From a FO standpoint as well it has to irk you to see these edge players leave and instantly have more success. The guys up front I see benefiting a lot from this (Justin, Oweh and Bowser). When that starts I believe we see more takeaways as well.

And no I don't believe Payton will come here but I can dream. @gtalk12 if that somehow happened I'd be fine when we had to replace both the following season.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

In my opinion, Wink's style of defense isn't overly sustainable, and isn't likely to give that much trouble to the better QBs in the league. I'm all for aggression and exotic blitzing, but when you don't have the personnel to generate a pass rush without blitzing, its kind of a wrap for me. And I'm not blaming Wink entirely for it, but based on some of the decisions I've seen from the FO the last few years, I don't think generating pass rush via personnel talent is a high priority. I think its pretty clear to the league that interior pass rush is critical in this league, because most QBs are mobile these days and beating outside rushers has become a lot easier.

Everything you just said about Wink and the defense is just true. The team obviously saw that too and knew that given a small defensive rebuild is on the horizon, it's time to move on. I really applaud them for that decision. I have maintained from the beginning that was a good move.

I have simultaneously maintained that moving on from Roman would probably also have been a good idea. I think there's just a few things to consider.

1) Lamar's effectiveness running the ball has decreased every year. And that has little to do with Lamar. He doesn't trounce teams for these long TD runs anymore because the NFL has learned how to play disciplined defense against him. He's still an animal and uses his legs to make great plays but all I'm saying is it isn't 2019 anymore.

2) Lamar has shown he can be a great pocket passer if he has time to throw.

3) Passing will always be higher value than running. Or I should say highly effective passing offenses will always have higher ceilings than highly effective running ones. Look no further than KC or Buffalo or Cincy.

4) Roman has struggled with calling plays that beat cover 0 and passing concepts have more than a few times literally led receivers to collide and fall down. Other times they don't collide but the spacing is horrible.

5) With the premises above, I personally would think another coordinator who is honestly just more traditional, can get more out of the offense because I think Lamar is up to the task. I think Roman is a crutch that he once needed but no longer.

So I think there are any number of OCs who could be better for Lamar and the offense. They do not need to be Andy Reid. I personally think it's time to pull the Roman bandaid but I DO think you can still win a SB with him. It just requires a strong OL and a stout defense.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Who gives a shit who does or doesn't meet your expectations. Lol you arrogant jackass. I've also been here for years and avoid your post again because you think you're the shit. I'll avoid replying to you from now on and you do the same... look we can agree to something
You can avoid whatever you want. I didn't bring up expectations... you did. You've got to own that.

I'll respond to posts as I see fit. If I feel like responding to one of your posts, I certainly will.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
If Lamar is expected to keep progressing I can't see it with Roman which is my major problem. I'm not even going to say he did an awful job under the circumstances but for real growth I think we need to move on.

Lmao.. why are you the way you are @rmcjacket23 ?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I want Roman gone bad but this is 100% truth. Before the season starts Roman loses top 2 backs. First game loses starting LT. Sometime early I'm pretty sure Mekari gets hurt for an OL that wa already questionable.

From a FO standpoint as well it has to irk you to see these edge players leave and instantly have more success. The guys up front I see benefiting a lot from this (Justin, Oweh and Bowser). When that starts I believe we see more takeaways as well.

And no I don't believe Payton will come here but I can dream. @gtalk12 if that somehow happened I'd be fine when we had to replace both the following season.
LOL, Sean Payton will never be an OC for anybody. That's like thinking Andy Reid would be fine with being an OC, or Belichick would be fine being a DC. At least 20 teams in the league would fire their HC tomorrow if Payton called and said he wanted to coach there.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
LOL, Sean Payton will never be an OC for anybody. That's like thinking Andy Reid would be fine with being an OC, or Belichick would be fine being a DC. At least 20 teams in the league would fire their HC tomorrow if Payton called and said he wanted to coach there.

Harbs extension isn't done yet... maybe

If Lamar is expected to keep progressing I can't see it with Roman which is my major problem. I'm not even going to say he did an awful job under the circumstances but for real growth I think we need to move on.

Lmao.. why are you the way you are @rmcjacket23 ?

If yall want Roman replaced you have to name names with who you want him replaced with! Remember he has to be a realistic option and better than Roman if not your opinion is dumb lol.

marklar

Pro Bowler
Hint: Once you press the "ignore" button on our local know-it-all, this place becomes a lot better. I did the nistake of unignoring him for a while, which I will not repeat

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Everything you just said about Wink and the defense is just true. The team obviously saw that too and knew that given a small defensive rebuild is on the horizon, it's time to move on. I really applaud them for that decision. I have maintained from the beginning that was a good move.

I have simultaneously maintained that moving on from Roman would probably also have been a good idea. I think there's just a few things to consider.

1) Lamar's effectiveness running the ball has decreased every year. And that has little to do with Lamar. He doesn't trounce teams for these long TD runs anymore because the NFL has learned how to play disciplined defense against him. He's still an animal and uses his legs to make great plays but all I'm saying is it isn't 2019 anymore.

2) Lamar has shown he can be a great pocket passer if he has time to throw.

3) Passing will always be higher value than running. Or I should say highly effective passing offenses will always have higher ceilings than highly effective running ones. Look no further than KC or Buffalo or Cincy.

4) Roman has struggled with calling plays that beat cover 0 and passing concepts have more than a few times literally led receivers to collide and fall down. Other times they don't collide but the spacing is horrible.

5) With the premises above, I personally would think another coordinator who is honestly just more traditional, can get more out of the offense because I think Lamar is up to the task. I think Roman is a crutch that he once needed but no longer.

So I think there are any number of OCs who could be better for Lamar and the offense. They do not need to be Andy Reid. I personally think it's time to pull the Roman bandaid but I DO think you can still win a SB with him. It just requires a strong OL and a stout defense.
A lot here, but I'll boil it down like this...
I've not yet seen somebody who wants Roman fired have any motivation to do so that doesn't involve a) Lamar throwing it a lot more and b) Lamar looking a lot more like Josh Allen or Mahomes, i.e. lots of down field throws and attacking the defense.
While I don't have an issue with this, I also don't think Lamar will ever be on the level of either of those two QBs as a passer, and I think the sooner people realize it, the better we will be. He's not a bad passer, and he's a much better passer than people give him credit for, but he's not close to their level at this point, and they're pretty close in age.

I think fans are greatly overvaluing the "can't beat Cover 0" thing dramatically. I put maybe 10% of that on Roman, and I put about 80% of it on the QB. There's plenty of film that people have shown where there's a pretty easy read in Cover 0 to beat it, and the QB just doesn't get it to it, misses it, or doesn't recognize it. We didn't get to see Lamar execute this down the stretch, but it happened a lot with Huntley.

In terms of spacing, I don't know that it's on Roman either. I've never seen an OC draw up plays that intentionally has poor spacing and receivers in the same space. In almost all instances, the receivers are setting bad spacing themselves, or are running routes incorrectly.

I think the criticism of Roman's lack of creativity in the passing game and designing plays to get playmakers open in space is a valid concern. I also think its pretty brutal to use that as a reason to fire somebody, when the offense has taken major strides forward in the passing game every year.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If yall want Roman replaced you have to name names with who you want him replaced with! Remember he has to be a realistic option and better than Roman if not your opinion is dumb lol.
Well you certainly don't have to. People won't take you seriously if you don't, but you gotta be you.

How about the guy who owns the local tire shop on Eutaw Street? He follows the Ravens on Twitter and he drew up plays in Madden. He'd be a good choice I'm sure...

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
A lot here, but I'll boil it down like this...
I've not yet seen somebody who wants Roman fired have any motivation to do so that doesn't involve a) Lamar throwing it a lot more and b) Lamar looking a lot more like Josh Allen or Mahomes, i.e. lots of down field throws and attacking the defense.
While I don't have an issue with this, I also don't think Lamar will ever be on the level of either of those two QBs as a passer, and I think the sooner people realize it, the better we will be. He's not a bad passer, and he's a much better passer than people give him credit for, but he's not close to their level at this point, and they're pretty close in age.

I think fans are greatly overvaluing the "can't beat Cover 0" thing dramatically. I put maybe 10% of that on Roman, and I put about 80% of it on the QB. There's plenty of film that people have shown where there's a pretty easy read in Cover 0 to beat it, and the QB just doesn't get it to it, misses it, or doesn't recognize it. We didn't get to see Lamar execute this down the stretch, but it happened a lot with Huntley.

In terms of spacing, I don't know that it's on Roman either. I've never seen an OC draw up plays that intentionally has poor spacing and receivers in the same space. In almost all instances, the receivers are setting bad spacing themselves, or are running routes incorrectly.

I think the criticism of Roman's lack of creativity in the passing game and designing plays to get playmakers open in space is a valid concern. I also think its pretty brutal to use that as a reason to fire somebody, when the offense has taken major strides forward in the passing game every year.

Yeah I hear you. The only thing if anything I really even disagree with is I think Lamar can be as good a passer as Allen. Maybe not Mahomes, but I definitely think Allen.

The offense has made strides and especially early in the year was pretty strong. I think if you're going to keep him, you've gotta ensure that you build the OL. Because if you do, there's just so much of a better chance that this offense can be effective.

I do think Lamar will be OK with cover 0 next year I agree.

The receiver spacing stuff confuses me though because it's a multi year problem that has occurred with different receivers. So some kind of attention needs to be put there in the off-season.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Evan Neal or the tackle from NC State please. I know neither falling to 14 won't happen but I'm fully on the Linderbaum train at 14 otherwise.
Evan Neal would be highway robery at 14.
Who gives a shit who does or doesn't meet your expectations. Lol you arrogant jackass. I've also been here for years and avoid your post again because you think you're the shit. I'll avoid replying to you from now on and you do the same... look we can agree to something
cool it. You have been warned

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ok. Here is my list:
Mike McDaniel (49ers)
Mike Kafka (Chiefs)
Adam Stenavich (Packers)
Thomas Brown (Rams)
I could get behind a couple of these. Kafka and Stenavich could be tough, since they'll probably be OC's on that team either next year or the year after.

McDaniel is already an OC, so not sure why he would go for the lateral move (or if the Niners would allow it)
Brown is interesting, though he's a RB coach, so I'm not sure that would appeal to the group of people who purely want somebody to be a better passing game coach.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

This is a realistic assessment of Lamar I can get on board with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I love it , great info. I wish I had thrown some more into BTC sooner. Glad we got one knowledgeable financial guy in the group. I don’t have the time or knowledge to keep up with the day trading crew. I just throw 15% of my base pay into my military TSP and keep going. Invest a little more on the side through RobinHood for fun as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do what you can, just don't overdo it. Getting in early is the name of the game and it's still early. Just keep investing every month in both BTC and ETC and you'll do fine.

I'm long and short term trader and also sell and buy call options, which I don't recommend if you can't watch it all the time. If you want some tips on occasion for stocks, I'd be happy to give them to you, just remember nothing is guaranteed.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
The cover 0 stuff I think has more to do with OL play than Roman. Feel like the year before and 19 were fine against it.