• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Tough time for car buyers. Lower inventory and jacked up prices. I was going to replaces my wife's car in Feb but the prices were 10K-15k over MSRP. What kind of truck are you looking at?
Silverado. They're pretty much right at MSRP in this area. Still going to try to lowball, which likely won't work, but I have nothing to lose.
I can usually argue at least a couple grand off. Asking me to pay $8-9K more for one model-up just because it has a V8 and an updated interior is pretty much lunacy. All a V8 gets me in this climate is like 20-30% worse full economy. Basically I pay more for the truck and then I pay more at the pump. They're going to have to sell me on why that's intelligent.

Honestly, I find some of this stuff kind of fun. I'm sure you can imagine, but I'm not the most easy customer to deal with when it comes to negotiating with car salesman.
Yesterday I went to walk the lot. Told them I had about 30 minutes total for the trip. They wasted most of it. Told me it would take 10 mins to appraise a trade-in vehicle, it took 25. I walked out after 5 minutes of just sitting at the desk waiting for them. Told them they could call me or email me the info. I wasn't needed.

Planning to do the same today. I'll give them about 30 minutes for a test drive. After that I leave. If there's a deal to be had, they can call me or I'll come back another time.

Spent 4-5 hours the last time I bought a Truck just going through the whole song and dance, doing paper work, running credit checks, etc. Won't happen again.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Actual production. He did solid last year but is he a true number 1 starter? At the point where everyone else at the position can be mediocre?

what does number 1 starter mean?

he's going to be moved around, he's going to be our primary weapon and he's a threat at all levels of the field... play-wise? what does he need to show from a skillset standpoint that would suggest we can't trust him?

the lack of production is because he didn't play - and he's not going to be able to get production until he gets on the field

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Most of the car businesses around these parts are closed on Sundays and most major holidays

That's one of the things that may drive me to move out of my state. Blue Laws in certain states close dealerships on Sundays no matter what.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've been out shopping for a Truck the last few days. Most dealers in Central VA are closed on Sundays, but I went to a couple yesterday (4th of July) and they were basically open normal hours.

I'm actually quite surprised car lots are closed on Sunday's. Would think you'd want to be open any day where people typically aren't "working". I'm also quite confident if I told a car salesman I wanted to come look at stuff on a Sunday, many would show up.

Sundays aren't as busy as you would think.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Are the Ravens trusting Bateman way too much? He was largely injured first half of last year including in the off-season. This year according to different reports he had some drops going on. Is he really capable of being WR1 yet?
Only 1 way to find out.

fun-fun-begins.gif

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Actual production. He did solid last year but is he a true number 1 starter? At the point where everyone else at the position can be mediocre?
I think the Justin jeffersons and jamarr chases of the world have really warped expectations. Davante Adams and deandre Hopkins were mid WR1 for years.

Idk what film you’ve watched of Bateman but there’s nothing there to convince me he’s not an upgrade in every sense of the word over Hollywood as WR1

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think the Justin jeffersons and jamarr chases of the world have really warped expectations. Davante Adams and deandre Hopkins were mid WR1 for years.

Idk what film you’ve watched of Bateman but there’s nothing there to convince me he’s not an upgrade in every sense of the word over Hollywood as WR1

Yes, but is he great enough to do it alone?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yes, but is he great enough to do it alone?

who knows - if he is, that would be an exceedingly rare quality in a WR

but if being a WR 1 is being able to do it alone - i think you may well find there are no WR1s in the entire NFL... maybe davante adams, maybe tyreek hill, maybe deandre hopkins (when he was last playing dominant) and maybe cooper kupp (albeit he's only looked that way this 1 year)

by the definition of being able to "do it alone", i think only those 4 guys even have a shot at satisfying that condition in the NFL and it's possible that none of them do satisfy that condition

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I've been out shopping for a Truck the last few days. Most dealers in Central VA are closed on Sundays, but I went to a couple yesterday (4th of July) and they were basically open normal hours.

I'm actually quite surprised car lots are closed on Sunday's. Would think you'd want to be open any day where people typically aren't "working". I'm also quite confident if I told a car salesman I wanted to come look at stuff on a Sunday, many would show up.
they used to be open 7 days a week, but I'm not sure when that changed.....especially on holidays. Good luck finding what you want. I mean that sincerely, not sarcastically.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
who knows - if he is, that would be an exceedingly rare quality in a WR

but if being a WR 1 is being able to do it alone - i think you may well find there are no WR1s in the entire NFL... maybe davante adams, maybe tyreek hill, maybe deandre hopkins (when he was last playing dominant) and maybe cooper kupp (albeit he's only looked that way this 1 year)

by the definition of being able to "do it alone", i think only those 4 guys even have a shot at satisfying that condition in the NFL and it's possible that none of them do satisfy that condition

Agree. Think people took for granted how good the level of wr play was for about a good 10-15 years. See another surge on the way with these young guys.

Last edited:

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
they used to be open 7 days a week, but I'm not sure when that changed.....especially on holidays. Good luck finding what you want. I mean that sincerely, not sarcastically.
I can see why Sunday's aren't busy, but I would've still thought they'd be busier than like a Monday or Tuesday. But i'm not in the business so I don't know.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I can see why Sunday's aren't busy, but I would've still thought they'd be busier than like a Monday or Tuesday. But i'm not in the business so I don't know.

Depends on location and the brand to be honest.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I still got a way's to go, but I'm still saving up for the Challenger Scat Pack. Why is this Ravens related? I'll be transferring my Ravens license plate from my V6 Challenger to my future car.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor