• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Future Ravens in the HOF

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Yanda
Stover
Tucker
Stanley

Have to say though, the second they announce Ray for the 2018 HOF Class I'm booking myself a trip to Canton for next Summer.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler

I think he is showing respect to longtime division rival. Don't get me wrong Suggs is great and HOF caliber. However as a rusher I don't think he is quite in the class of Ware and Mack. Suggs is amazing the way he adapted his game when he no longer won with pure athleticism off the edge. He bulked up and became an amazing combo of power with finesse moves. Not many power rushers threw finesse in the Arsenal. But Suggs fronts adequate burst and athleticism with a very unique blend of power and finesse. Which is how he is effective at a later age.

There is longevity to his career. He began at an early age and cuz of his accomplished style he is effective into his mid 30's. And in my opinion he is hall of fame caliber. However In his prime I don't think he is quite the caliber edge rusher of Ware and Mack. Suggs is great but I would take Peter Boulware at his best over any edge rusher that ever wore a ravens uniform. In his prime before his knees began giving him problems he was Khalil Mack at the time. A top 2-3 edge rusher in the league. And he played the LB position at a pro bowl level even if he wasn't a freakish edge rusher. He was a 4-3 olb. Then cuz of knee problems to McCrary he was placed at Defensive end. He racked up 16 sacks with knee problems of his own his first year at the position. If not for knee problems he is a hall of famer 5 yrs after he retires. He was a freakishly skilled player.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think he is showing respect to longtime division rival. Don't get me wrong Suggs is great and HOF caliber. However as a rusher I don't think he is quite in the class of Ware and Mack. Suggs is amazing the way he adapted his game when he no longer won with pure athleticism off the edge. He bulked up and became an amazing combo of power with finesse moves. Not many power rushers threw finesse in the Arsenal. But Suggs fronts adequate burst and athleticism with a very unique blend of power and finesse. Which is how he is effective at a later age.

There is longevity to his career. He began at an early age and cuz of his accomplished style he is effective into his mid 30's. And in my opinion he is hall of fame caliber. However In his prime I don't think he is quite the caliber edge rusher of Ware and Mack. Suggs is great but I would take Peter Boulware at his best over any edge rusher that ever wore a ravens uniform. In his prime before his knees began giving him problems he was Khalil Mack at the time. A top 2-3 edge rusher in the league. And he played the LB position at a pro bowl level even if he wasn't a freakish edge rusher. He was a 4-3 olb. Then cuz of knee problems to McCrary he was placed at Defensive end. He racked up 16 sacks with knee problems of his own his first year at the position. If not for knee problems he is a hall of famer 5 yrs after he retires. He was a freakishly skilled player.
I absolutely agree he is not the same caliber pass rusher as Ware or Mack. As you stated he is a different type of a pass rusher. I just posted it here because of the accolades from a player of Joe Thomas' caliber.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

Suggs is more than just a pass rusher. He drops back into coverage way more than ware ever did. Suggs is ver very smart. He is effective even when he is not rushing the passer

Serrell Tuggs

Practice Squad
Suggs is more than just a pass rusher. He drops back into coverage way more than ware ever did. Suggs is ver very smart. He is effective even when he is not rushing the passer

Exactly. He is a much better run defender than Ware, Freeney etc, too.
In the 10 years I've been watching the Ravens, Suggs has been our best defender most of those years. I think he's HoF quality. (Although Halls of Fame are a silly idea, anyway.)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
In the 10 years I've been watching the Ravens, Suggs has been our best defender most of those years. I think he's HoF quality. (Although Halls of Fame are a silly idea, anyway.)
I disagree that HOF are a silly idea.

As Kurt Warner said, and I'm paraphrasing. He explained that a HOF player in his mind is a player that impacted the game in such a special way that when you are having conversations about the history of the game of great games in the last you can't leave that player out.

Last edited:

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I disagree that HOF are a silly idea.

As Kurt Warner said, and I'm paraphrasing. He explained that a HOF player in his mind is a player that impacted the game in such a special way that when you are having conversations about the history of the game of great games in the last you can't leave that player out.
Yea for most of the hall of fame players

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Jan Stenerud and Morten Anderson are paving the way for future great kickers, including our own Justin Tucker to get into the HOF.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler

I dunno bout as good as Suggs but Ware was a great all around olb as well. And Mack is a rare multi skilled olb. He would be a pro bowler as a traditional OLB. And Peter Boulware before the knee probs was the Khalil Mack when he played.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

Honestly for Suggs until about say 2008 or 2009 I think he was the 3rd best defender the Ravens had. The year after the Ravens won the Super Bowl Jimmy basically emerged as the Ravens best defender so for Suggs I have about 4 years max where he was the Ravens best defender and I honestly think its 2-3. Im not insulting Suggs because Lewis and Reed are going into the hall for sure its just that he was not as good as them when he was young and since he got older Jimmy has been in his prime and better.

Serrell Tuggs

Practice Squad
Honestly for Suggs until about say 2008 or 2009 I think he was the 3rd best defender the Ravens had. The year after the Ravens won the Super Bowl Jimmy basically emerged as the Ravens best defender so for Suggs I have about 4 years max where he was the Ravens best defender and I honestly think its 2-3. Im not insulting Suggs because Lewis and Reed are going into the hall for sure its just that he was not as good as them when he was young and since he got older Jimmy has been in his prime and better.

I think long time fans, who remember Ray in his absolute prime, over rated him in the latter part of his career, understandably. He was still great but Ed, Suggs and, by 08, Ngata were better. Being on a team with 2 first ballot HoF players, shouldn't damage Suggs case, anyway. If these all time greats weren't there, he would have been best and the fact that, for a few years, he was better than one or both of them should strengthen Suggs case, if anything.

I don't think Jimmy has ever quite been the Ravens best defender but, even going by your argument, then Suggs was best from 08 or 09 until Smith 'emerged' during the 2013 season, so that puts him on top for at least 4.5 years. Very few defensive players have a prime run much longer than that.

Sadly, I think Suggs will have to get a few sacks in the next year or two to make his case because he's often been overlooked. Firstly, because he's a Raven, secondly, when people talked about our defence they mentioned Ray and Ed, even when Suggs was better and thirdly because his sack totals have been affected by his not being purely a pass rusher and, conversely, by the years he was our only pass rusher and was constantly double teamed.

I could go on. I love Sizzle, he's my all time favourite Raven. If you're going to have a hall of fame, he should be in it.

Ray produced right up until 2012, thats when the wheels really fell off. His last good year was Suggs best year.

Suggs will definitely get in the HoF, when will probably depend on how he plays the remainder of his career.

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
I absolutely agree he is not the same caliber pass rusher as Ware or Mack. As you stated he is a different type of a pass rusher. I just posted it here because of the accolades from a player of Joe Thomas' caliber.
Agreed... its his all around game that makes him special.

The SB, DPOY, and DROY definitely help the resume too. Ware has the SB but i dont think either of the others. And i dont think Mack has any of them yet (though a bit hard done as Aaron Donald and JJ Watt are the sole reasons he hasnt won the individual accolades yet).

The fact that his peak also coincided with one of the most successful 5 year runs for a team in this century could help too. 5 straight playoffs with at least 1 away win, 3 AFCCG's, and a SB over a span of time where he was 1 of the best defenders in the game.