• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Training Camp

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
So is the slot corner role just cursed?
It's a conspiracy. We are Tom Brady's kryptonite but with quick release targets we are less effective against him.

The NFL is injuring our slot corners to assure that the patriots have a way to beat us.

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
So, NFL.com just released their Training Camp power rankings....

And they have us 28th.
28th.

In front of only:
  • Bears
  • 49ers
  • Browns
  • Jets

They have us in #1 pick contention essentially. Granted, the bulk of the description - and therefore i assume the "justification" - centered on Flacco currently being injured and Ryan Mallett's struggles/inadequacy..

But that would seem to mean theyre assuming Mallet will play a meaningful amount of games. Unless they truly mean, as of today, the ranking of teams on 8/8 and not accounting for what will likely be the case week 1, we're 28th.

That I can buy. So if thats the case, and it appears it might be, its not too ridiculous or a slight.

But if thats where they really project us going into the season... thank you. I love it when we're overlooked. Especially when we're overlooked and have a nasty defense. Cuz then they play ANGRY.

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
So with Branden Albert reportedly wanting to un-retire, and the Jags reportedly not wanting him back... he could be on the market.

I dont know how it would fit or how youd make it work to get your 5 best lineman out there (Stanley, Lewis, Yanda, Howard, Albert) at that point.... but hes probably better than Howard, and almost definitely better than Jensen.

My question isnt whether or not you'd be interested - but if we got him, how would you make it work to get our best OL out there?

So with Branden Albert reportedly wanting to un-retire, and the Jags reportedly not wanting him back... he could be on the market.

I dont know how it would fit or how youd make it work to get your 5 best lineman out there (Stanley, Lewis, Yanda, Howard, Albert) at that point.... but hes probably better than Howard, and almost definitely better than Jensen.

My question isnt whether or not you'd be interested - but if we got him, how would you make it work to get our best OL out there?

Eisenberg just wrote an article in which he thinks that we have one more move left in us to make before the season starts.

Maybe restructure Weddle and Yanda's contracts?

Here's the article
http://yi.nzc.am/bkXLzl

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
Stanley, Lewis, Yanda, Howard, Albert

Would probably work best.

Edit: just resized that's exactly what you were thinking @Boldnpurpblack
That's def what my first thought was.... I just wonder if you lose too much of Yanda's importance by playing him at C. I feel like if they felt that was an effective use of his talents, they'd have transitioned him there at some point.

But it would be awesome to go from having a gaping hole to arguably the best OL in the game at C. especially with his intelligence.

That'd be a big, nasty OL. And having Yanda dead smack in the middle may just make everyone better.

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
I'm thinking Wallace and Yanda. Extend Wallace and bring his cap hit down. This would give us Maclin Perriman and Wallace in 2018 as well.
Yea, they're prob the best 2 candidates. Extend Wallace, and convert some of Yanda's salary to bonus. Hate to do that with guys in their 30's, but hes one guy im not too concerned about falling off in the next few years.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

And they have us 28th.
28th.

They have us in #1 pick contention essentially. Granted, the bulk of the description - and therefore i assume the "justification" - centered on Flacco currently being injured and Ryan Mallett's struggles/inadequacy..

But if thats where they really project us going into the season... thank you. I love it when we're overlooked. Especially when we're overlooked and have a nasty defense. Cuz then they play ANGRY.

Literally my first thought is why bother with power rankings? But then again, to each their own.

Pertaining to the bolded comments (pun not at first intended lol), I used to think this way when we get slighted. Now, I'm of the mindset of they can be angry all they want, just translate that to wins.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I don't even think Branden Albert is that great of an offensive lineman and it sounds like he retired due to being unhappy with his contract situation in Jacksonville. It sounds like he wanted a raise and the Jaguars wanted a pay cut, so he peaced out.

Not really sure he's worth it at this point.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Literally my first thought is why bother with power rankings? But then again, to each their own.

Pertaining to the bolded comments (pun not at first intended lol), I used to think this way when we get slighted. Now, I'm of the mindset of they can be angry all they want, just translate that to wins.
Totally agree. Why bother with preseason power rankings when you are going to eliminate players that will be back in a week.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

And they have us 28th.
28th.

In front of only:
  • Bears
  • 49ers
  • Browns
  • Jets

But that would seem to mean theyre assuming Mallet will play a meaningful amount of games. Unless they truly mean, as of today, the ranking of teams on 8/8 and not accounting for what will likely be the case week 1, we're 28th.

That I can buy. So if thats the case, and it appears it might be, its not too ridiculous or a slight.

where would you rank us? Being that flacco is healthy?

Darhk_Raven

Practice Squad

What are you going to give up to get him? The Jags still own the rights to his contract, for the length of the contract. So you would have to trade to get him.