• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Joe Flacco

Tru11

Practice Squad
If this was say 2014 then yea maybe still a long shot. We would really be fleecing someone lol.

Now back to reality, IMO I believe the best trade out there is with the Jags..straight up for Ramsey no picks. The Broncos have nothing we want other than picks and maybe an OLine man. No team will give up a 1st or 2nd for #5. The Jags are going QB in the draft and will need a vet. Foles price tag will be a problem for the Jags not the Broncos who I think are going all in on him. Therefore we trade for Ramsey(a guy that wants to leave anyway). With Jimmy and Weddle out the door this is our best chance at landing him.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
If this was say 2014 then yea maybe still a long shot. We would really be fleecing someone lol.

Now back to reality, IMO I believe the best trade out there is with the Jags..straight up for Ramsey no picks. The Broncos have nothing we want other than picks and maybe an OLine man. No team will give up a 1st or 2nd for #5. The Jags are going QB in the draft and will need a vet. Foles price tag will be a problem for the Jags not the Broncos who I think are going all in on him. Therefore we trade for Ramsey(a guy that wants to leave anyway). With Jimmy and Weddle out the door this is our best chance at landing him.
Flacco for ramsey straight up? Naw that would never happen

A1A

Veteran
If that's unconceivable then let's package Flacco with another player and or pick. I mean theres been unimaginable trades done in recent years. Dont act like teams dont do these type of things. We need to roll the dice and stop being scared like we have been.
Ramsey is about to holdout big time and it's already looking ugly. Its about $$$ and we about to come across quite a bit. Let's use it.

The hope here lies with teams pulling the trigger in fear that another team will trade for him and not allow him to hit FA. Fingers crossed.
I think that is a reasonable hope. I disagree with the analysts that say teams will wait for his release. Many of them state that his cap hit (18.5M) is too high, but have they not seen what the QB position commands? Some are comparing him with a Sam Bradford type player - what? Some say he's not really an upgrade over a guy like Bortles - again, what? These are the same idiots that have bashed him his whole career. Something tells me that NFL front offices don't view him that way.

But some on these boards are valuing him at the level that is based on what he has brought to our organization, which has nothing to do with his value to prospective teams. I don't think he brings the level of what Smith brought last year in the trade the the Skins (2nd rounder). That's why I say a 3rd rounder is the most I am allowing myself to hope for.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Dude ... there are plenty of analysts saying that we wont get ANYTHING for him ... that teams will potentially wait for him to be released and then try to sign him as an FA. Personally, I'm holding out hope we just get something.

You have to remember - like anything, price is a function of supply and demand. Supply is low, but demand is also. There just arent that many teams where Flacco makes sense. So we just need a couple that really want to make a go for him and understand the only way to ensure they get him is through a trade, but there is not going to be a bidding war.

If we get a 3rd rounder, I'll be absolutely giddy.
It’s still better to trade for him because you don’t have any guaranteed money in his contract. Once he is traded, that goes out the door and a new contract will need to be worked out.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think that is a reasonable hope. I disagree with the analysts that say teams will wait for his release. Many of them state that his cap hit (18.5M) is too high, but have they not seen what the QB position commands? Some are comparing him with a Sam Bradford type player - what? Some say he's not really an upgrade over a guy like Bortles - again, what? These are the same idiots that have bashed him his whole career. Something tells me that NFL front offices don't view him that way.

But some on these boards are valuing him at the level that is based on what he has brought to our organization, which has nothing to do with his value to prospective teams. I don't think he brings the level of what Smith brought last year in the trade the the Skins (2nd rounder). That's why I say a 3rd rounder is the most I am allowing myself to hope for.
Skins traded a 3rd and Kendall Fuller

A1A

Veteran
The redskins are idiots. They'd trade for RG3 right now and the fans will be like OOOOHH SH***** WE GOING TO THE SUPERBOWL!!!!

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Dude ... there are plenty of analysts saying that we wont get ANYTHING for him ... that teams will potentially wait for him to be released and then try to sign him as an FA. Personally, I'm holding out hope we just get something.

You have to remember - like anything, price is a function of supply and demand. Supply is low, but demand is also. There just arent that many teams where Flacco makes sense. So we just need a couple that really want to make a go for him and understand the only way to ensure they get him is through a trade, but there is not going to be a bidding war.

If we get a 3rd rounder, I'll be absolutely giddy.
Screw those analysts! Believe me - the fat one on the couch who is the ultimate pontificator!

redrum52

Hall of Famer
With Cam Newton possibly needing to take a year off, I could see Flacco being traded there as a stop gap solution or are they willing to give RG3 an opportunity?

Highly doubt that and no reason to have 2 qbs with major cap hits. Also creates a problem for when Cam is back. No reason they would trade for Flacco unless Cam's career is finished.

Highly doubt that and no reason to have 2 qbs with major cap hits. Also creates a problem for when Cam is back. No reason they would trade for Flacco unless Cam's career is finished.
Agreed. I think the teams that make sense are the ones who do not have their future QB on roster yet and feel like they can be competitive now if they have a reasonably effective QB. Flacco gives them the option of passing on a QB in 2019 and waiting for 2020 when the class is stronger. Then he starts in 2020 and mentors and passes the baton in 2021.

A team like CAR will only get 1 year out of him IF Newton is shut down for this season.

Agreed. I think the teams that make sense are the ones who do not have their future QB on roster yet and feel like they can be competitive now if they have a reasonably effective QB. Flacco gives them the option of passing on a QB in 2019 and waiting for 2020 when the class is stronger. Then he starts in 2020 and mentors and passes the baton in 2021.

A team like CAR will only get 1 year out of him IF Newton is shut down for this season.

If teams are going after a QB in 2020 you’d have to think they are planning to have a bad 2019 unless they think they can actually win the Super Bowl.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If teams are going after a QB in 2020 you’d have to think they are planning to have a bad 2019 unless they think they can actually win the Super Bowl.

as much as fans sometimes put forth the idea of tanking - only a couple of times have teams ever actually tanked... mostly because its incredibly rare to get players and coaches to suck on purpose because that's kinda the opposite of how they keep their job...

there's also no guarantee that the top prospects come out in 2020 because they could stick around for an extra year if they dont have the season they wanted/want to finish their degree/have unfinished business/have an in-season injury...

so many factors that make tanking unfeasible in almost every situation

as much as fans sometimes put forth the idea of tanking - only a couple of times have teams ever actually tanked... mostly because its incredibly rare to get players and coaches to suck on purpose because that's kinda the opposite of how they keep their job...

there's also no guarantee that the top prospects come out in 2020 because they could stick around for an extra year if they dont have the season they wanted/want to finish their degree/have unfinished business/have an in-season injury...

so many factors that make tanking unfeasible in almost every situation
Yeah it’s less about playing to lose, more the lack of investing in a stop gap solution and trading away the future for a short term gain. I don’t think players or coaches tank, it’s more front offices often have a longer term strategy and their roster decisions are made accordingly.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah it’s less about playing to lose, more the lack of investing in a stop gap solution and trading away the future for a short term gain. I don’t think players or coaches tank, it’s more front offices often have a longer term strategy and their roster decisions are made accordingly.

front offices also dont have that much job security to be able to afford to do that - partly because it often requires at the quickest a full 3 year rebuild once you've tanked - and that only works if you've got your qb and nail a load of draft picks

in order for the FO to tank on behalf of the players and coaches they have to strip the team of talent and older guys which naturally leaves a talent gap and lack of experience/leadership within the playing staff - that's tough to rebuild in the short term and have success in that time period - and the shelf life of those front offices with really poor track records is not long

front offices also dont have that much job security to be able to afford to do that - partly because it often requires at the quickest a full 3 year rebuild once you've tanked - and that only works if you've got your qb and nail a load of draft picks

in order for the FO to tank on behalf of the players and coaches they have to strip the team of talent and older guys which naturally leaves a talent gap and lack of experience/leadership within the playing staff - that's tough to rebuild in the short term and have success in that time period - and the shelf life of those front offices with really poor track records is not long

If you are looking at the teams suggested like Denver or the Jags, would you say give up a second round pick for Flacco if you are targeting a QB in 2020, Flacco might be good for a couple of wins. I wouldn’t call it tanking it’s more about strategic roster decisions based on your current roster and your realistic outlook for the season. At best I think a team will give up maybe a fourth rounder, hoping to be wrong it would be great to get our 2nd back.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If you are looking at the teams suggested like Denver or the Jags, would you say give up a second round pick for Flacco if you are targeting a QB in 2020, Flacco might be good for a couple of wins. I wouldn’t call it tanking it’s more about strategic roster decisions based on your current roster and your realistic outlook for the season. At best I think a team will give up maybe a fourth rounder, hoping to be wrong it would be great to get our 2nd back.

i think both those teams believe they have good enough rosters right now that a qb changes their outlook from being also-rans to contenders - im not sure they're correct but that's what i think they think

there's certainly no way either of those teams tank though - especially the jags because that whole staff would be out with a tank season

a better example might be miami who i think really need to blow up that whole organisation and start again - but given that its the dolphins im really not sure they will