• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Joe Flacco

flynismo

Practice Squad
Perhaps Joe calls all the receivers to plan a get-together and they all say no.

I doubt it, but it is a possibility.

Yep, that's the point....we don't know what goes on, regardless of how much some people pretend that they do.
I mean, is Flacco and some other guys playing catch really something news worthy that should be reported on constantly?

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
Yep, that's the point....we don't know what goes on, regardless of how much some people pretend that they do.
I mean, is Flacco and some other guys playing catch really something news worthy that should be reported on constantly?
Yea... to hear some people talk about it, thats all you apparently need to be great.

Get a guy with talent, and if he'll get some WR's together in the offense you'll get Tom Brady.

Step 1. Throw to WR's in the offseason.
Step 2. ??????
Step 3. Super Bowls. All of them.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Almost every year on the Ravens site we see some off-season filler about how Flacco is putting extra time in with X receiver. Last year it was Perriman.
It's such a tired narrative that people won't let go despite it being a baseless one. My only issue with him (well with everyone else as well) is from time to time they don't move with urgency in the last two minutes or less in the 4th when we need to quickly score a TD.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Old article. Wilson has been paid big bucks since hasn't he?

I mean peppers is in Wisconsin on it, but he should be in north carolina. Demarcus ware is retired etc
It's a year old, it doesn't include 2017 so there are some updates needed. Still gives an idea of order of magnitude.

Serious question here, are we getting good value for Flacco? For 5 years now Flacco has underperformed and crushed our cap, and we've missed the playoffs 4 out of 5 years. Are we just paying for experience?

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Serious question here, are we getting good value for Flacco? For 5 years now Flacco has underperformed and crushed our cap, and we've missed the playoffs 4 out of 5 years. Are we just paying for experience?

He's underperformed 4 out of 5 and no we're not getting good value from him. We paid cause he got hot and won a sb. Some team might do that with Nick Foles and watch what Kirk gets paid. The OL seemed to play historically bad in 13, 15 was a dumpster fire all around and he waited too long to play well in 16/17.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
While Flacco has had some bad play, I'd say the Ravens as a whole are to blame for that value more than Flacco himself. You pay a ton to your QB, and then give him a patchwork o-line, a sub par receiving group (downright awful at times), and a different OC every year. The Ravens are like a textbook example of how not to handle a franchise QB (just barely a notch above how the Colts have handled Luck).

Tru11

Practice Squad
He's underperformed 4 out of 5 and no we're not getting good value from him. We paid cause he got hot and won a sb. Some team might do that with Nick Foles and watch what Kirk gets paid. The OL seemed to play historically bad in 13, 15 was a dumpster fire all around and he waited too long to play well in 16/17.

Castillo and the west coast offense.

worst decisions on offense ever....

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Castillo and the west coast offense.

worst decisions on offense ever....

I don't think the West Coast is that bad but play calling is huge (any scheme). Kubiak and Shannahan run variations but they're creative. Also, key to use guys to their strength which the Ravens seem to refuse to do.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't think the West Coast is that bad but play calling is huge (any scheme). Kubiak and Shannahan run variations but they're creative. Also, key to use guys to their strength which the Ravens seem to refuse to do.

we seem married to a particular system rather than bringing in playmakers and developing a system to suit them - it is weird how fairly rigid (in some cases) our systems are

JAAM

Hall of Famer
While Flacco has had some bad play, I'd say the Ravens as a whole are to blame for that value more than Flacco himself. You pay a ton to your QB, and then give him a patchwork o-line, a sub par receiving group (downright awful at times), and a different OC every year. The Ravens are like a textbook example of how not to handle a franchise QB (just barely a notch above how the Colts have handled Luck).

So where is the value of paying Flacco like he can carry an offense when he needs a perfect situation? He had good pass pro and we found a good HB yet it was all for nothing because our receiving corp sucked?

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
So where is the value of paying Flacco like he can carry an offense when he needs a perfect situation? He had good pass pro and we found a good HB yet it was all for nothing because our receiving corp sucked?
He doesn't need a perfect situation. he just needs a good situation. No QB can single handedly carry an offense by themselves. Not even Brady or Rodgers.

And yes, a QB is nothing without reliable receivers.

He doesn't need a perfect situation. he just needs a good situation. No QB can single handedly carry an offense by themselves. Not even Brady or Rodgers.

And yes, a QB is nothing without reliable receivers.

The only way Flacco is comparible to Brady or Rodgers is how much they are being paid, we had better pass pro than the Pats this season and Brady still marched to the SB and threw 500 yards without his #1 WR.

Now I understand Flacco is who he is, but we pay him like he can carry an offense when the past 5 seasons have shown that he is a complimentary piece to a strong ground game.