• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

QB Back Up 2017?

trmnatr

Practice Squad
How about bringing Peyton Manning out of retirement?

He may not be able to throw it 45 yards anymore but he can ditch it 15 yards, manage the clock, read the defense and teach the young QB's so much, a lot more than Colin!

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
An in-depth look at Peyton Manning's presumed reaction to that phone call:

giphy.gif

K-Dog

MVP
Oh good lord...

My redskin fans would never let me hear the end of this.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Jeff Zrebiec‏Verified @jeffzrebiecsun
Bisciotti said he didn't like Kaepernicks anthem protest. Bisciotti said he's not sure Kap will help team win games.

Bisciotti also said team is discussing bringing in RGIII for workout. Still monitoring Flacco's back injury, Malletts play.

Cass said team is reaching out to fans and sponsors about Kap decision.

RGIII? :lol:

I actually really dislike that stance as an owner - it leaves a sour taste in my mouth that kap's protest is still hanging over him when there are players in the league who have done abhorrent things who are thought of more favourably and without such a circus of hatred around them

That being said - if kap is coming in to help us win games because joes out for a long time then what's really the point... every game we'd win would put the franchise in a worse place

As much as I think fans are important though, I dislike the idea that fan opinion would affect a team signing as majorly as this

I don't have a problem with biscotti having those views but I don't really like the influence they have publicly on the situation - especially when rgiii is being considered in stead - rgiii being signed would be clear evidence of blackballing - if kap is a bad qb then rgiii is utterly awful

mc_red23

Pro Bowler
I find it truly worrying and disgraceful that there's absolutely no issue with a child beater playing in the NFL but there's such much drama about a player not standing during the national anthem. No doubt there's something else he did that people don't like but I lost interest when people started becoming such emotional wrecks over him.

If it's so hard for the latter to get on a team then why is it so easy for the former to get onto one?

If the FO are so bothered about fans having a say in this then why not just let the fans have a say in who we cut, who we draft or who we sign in free agency while we're at it? You're paid to do a job, do it!

Admittedly I'm not the most clued up guy in the world when it comes to RGIII but doesn't the prospect of him joining the team become rather confusing considering he will no doubt spend more time out injured than Joe ever will?

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I really don't know why this is a conversation. I don't see Colin taking any type of team to a super bowl again. He is a bottom-tier starting quarterback but barely and upgrade over Mallett. We all know Flacco will be healthy in 3 weeks and he will be fine. If Flacco goes down for an extended period of time the season is over anyways. If Flacco went down week 8 and we were 5-3 I don't think Colin could take the team 5-3 or even take us anywhere in the playoffs. Mallett shown to be a decent replacement for a game or two if we really had to go with him but any more games than that the Ravens I don't think have a chance at the playoffs. Mallett has shown to be somewhat decent when starting.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Admittedly I'm not the most clued up guy in the world when it comes to RGIII but doesn't the prospect of him joining the team become rather confusing considering he will no doubt spend more time out injured than Joe ever will?

it's insulting to football as a sporting enterprise that rgiii is possibly going to be more employable than kap - kap may not be a good qb but rgiii is an awful qb who is also injured a lot... i was sure after last season that rgiii would never play again and yet he still might get an opportunity before kap does - its crazy that liberals are so often labelled as snowflakes and yet the ultra-conservative leaning owners group are so wound up by kap's poorly chosen socks on one day and a harmless decision to not stand up for an anthem

mc_red23

Pro Bowler
it's insulting to football as a sporting enterprise that rgiii is possibly going to be more employable than kap - kap may not be a good qb but rgiii is an awful qb who is also injured a lot... i was sure after last season that rgiii would never play again and yet he still might get an opportunity before kap does - its crazy that liberals are so often labelled as snowflakes and yet the ultra-conservative leaning owners group are so wound up by kap's poorly chosen socks on one day and a harmless decision to not stand up for an anthem

I can only imagine that the fact that RGIII was a 2nd choice draft pick will stick in some people's minds when it comes to picking a quarterback to sign. That's literally the only thing I can think of that could possibly persuade a team to sign him. Nothing surprises me with our snowflake FO though. We'll probably try and sign the tooth fairy to play back up QB.

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
I'm sure this won't be popular, but IF Flacco goes down for an extended period of time, our best bet to salvage the season is somehow to lure Smoking Jay Cutler out of retirement. I'm not his biggest fan by any stretch, but between coaching and offensive talent, he wasn't exactly in a place to thrive in Chicago. One legit concern would be that he was often injured the last few years too. He did at one point have Martellus Bennett, Jeffrey, and Forte but the former never produced past week 6, the middle was often hurt, and the latter was solid but when their defense was often awful they were playing from behind. Otherwise, I think we just throw Mallett to the wolves and let the franchise get a high draft pick and be on about our day.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Think it's time we look at a viable back up option through the draft next year. Flacco's contract gets high again in 2019 anyway so I think we stick with Mallet for as long as we need to, and in 2018 we draft a young QB that they feel could step in and help us win if Flacco ever went down with injury again. Also have someone in case the unthinkable happens in in 2019.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Think it's time we look at a viable back up option through the draft next year. Flacco's contract gets high again in 2019 anyway so I think we stick with Mallet for as long as we need to, and in 2018 we draft a young QB that they feel could step in and help us win if Flacco ever went down with injury again. Also have someone in case the unthinkable happens in in 2019.
And as he gets older, we'll need to start thinking about a replacement.