• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

QB Back Up 2017?

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
My 2 cents... all the backup talk, whether about Kap or RG3, its all just a PR front.

The second there was a whiff of a Flacco injury, a well-respected NFL "insider" reported immediately it was a 3-6 week injury, minimum. Automatically stirs up the Kap talk whether we like it or not.

Come to find out, its 1 weeks rest. Thats all we actually know for now. Theres a slight possibility that its a 3-6 week timetable, but thats more worst case scenario than reality.

We're only saying we're talking to Kap bc if we dont we automatically get put in with the "blackballers" by the media and court of public opinion if we dont.... and we say we're monitoring others like RGIII so those fans that hate Kap and wouldnt want him here can see that we're just doing due diligence on every viable option.

But, these guys ONLY come in to play if Flacco is going to miss significant game time. And that wont be known for at least a week, probably more. Makes no sense to bring in the circus, and the pressure to play them if Flacco is going to be here. Makes no sense to waste the remaining cap on Kap if Flacco has any shot at playing.

Now - all the stuff about checking with sponsors and fans... this is a business decision too. If you have a problem with that, i dont know what to tell you. Its just a fact. Sure footballs a game, but the guy cutting the check has his franchises livelihood at stake.

We can say how silly it is to lock a guy out over kneeling for the anthem - which i think most of us would agree, it is - but the fact is there are those that hated it. Hate him. And some of them control big purse strings. Some that may be feeding funds into the Ravens. Some of them buy purple jerseys, hats, banners, and tickets.

They dont outnumber those of us who are more sensible, a bit more rational. But it doesnt hurt to reach out to them, and let them feel heard. It also doesnt hurt to be the franchise that is showing a willingness to entertain Kap coming in. Because every other team thats signed a lesser QB, or brought in worse players for tryouts while staying mum on Kap has been labeled a blackballer and player in the conspiracy.

The owner, the FO, coach and players have handled this right. Every. Step. Of. The. Way.

Let them do their jobs. And until you hear news on Flacco, hes coming back. And rest easy knowing that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i think vauhgn was just too bad to actually be useful as even a camp arm - if he cant give receivers a chance or even occasionally make the right read then what's the point of him still being around - he was so ineffectual that he lasted ?2 series? before necessitating being replaced just through sheer awfulness - if he has been that bad in practice then this is a no brainer move no matter who they brought in to replace him

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Should have drafted a QB this yr or last. Aaron Murray could be obtained for a late round pick. He is every bit as good as McCarron and a better athlete. He is accurate can and make fast reads. I don't think the steelers would part with Mettenbeger.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Should have drafted a QB this yr or last. Aaron Murray could be obtained for a late round pick. He is every bit as good as McCarron and a better athlete. He is accurate can and make fast reads. I don't think the steelers would part with Mettenbeger.

Aaron Murray can be obtained for free now. Mettenberger is a free agent too.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I really hope Joe comes back healthy and stays healthy this season so we don't need to use a backup QB. I liked Woodrum in the Dolphin game but I don't know about going into the season with him as a primary backup just off that one game. Maybe if Woodrum started the next two preseason games and was amazing, I would feel better about it.