• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

League-Wide Sleepers on the Ravens

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
who are our biggest sleepers? I don't mean guys who might surprise us, I mean guys who are barely known around the league who have a chance to become a household name.

Besides the obvious breshad perriman, I'm gonna go with 2 other guys on our offense, Terrence west and nick Boyle.

Terrence west had over 4ypc and over 700 yards last year despite the horrid OL, forsett getting the bulk of carries, splitting late reps with Dixon, AND being on the team with the most pass attempts in the league.(flacco had the most, maybe other teams who played 2 qbs had more? Fact check). That's a pretty admirable performance, he made a lot of his opportunities and he ran hard and decisive.

I'm beginning to buy into our offense, with the Howard signing, I'm now banking on Jensen to give us a power run game from the inside to the right edge, and with a change of scheme I think west breaks out, he never struck me as a stretch guy, and always seemed to be at his best when he can hit the hole fast and run downhill. I'm picking Terrence west to top 1000 yards and 6+ tds, and the next guy on this list will play a role with some real power in his run blocking game...

Nick Boyle, he won't see many snaps on the sideline, he blocks like a tank and can make plays as a receiver, it disguises our intentions, he will face jams at the line due to the running threat, which he should easily win with pure toughness and leave the intermediate range exposed, he has surprising quickness and route running to gain separation against linebackers, and the size to body up in the air and the hands and strength to come down with the ball, if he learns how to position himself and box out, he will be extremely effective, and when he has the ball he runs with a serious attitude and looks to hurt defenders, and also surprises the hell out of people with his hurdles and can actually turn on the burners when he gets open space in front of him.

Who are your sleepers?

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
Ryan Mallett

In seriousness, I think you snagged the best two options for sure. I think Tim Williams could turn some heads this year, preferably those of LT's.

K-Dog

MVP
Who's that receiver ? Tim White?
Fan favorite by the end of October.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Matt Judon. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not well known in the league.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Michael Pierce is going to break out big time. This guy is an athletic freak even at 310lbs

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
At this point, I'd consider Maxx relatively unknown outside of Ravens circles so wishful thinking says it's him

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
There are not a lot of security blankets (with good upside) who are as good as DDubs when healthy. The guy bailed Philly Rivs and the shitty Chargers line so often the few years (minus last year when he got hurt)

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
There are not a lot of security blankets (with good upside) who are as good as DDubs when healthy. The guy bailed Philly Rivs and the shitty Chargers line so often the few years (minus last year when he got hurt)
That is true, but im not depending on him to be the same guy he was while with a better qb and especially after his injury

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
We love to throw dump passes on 3rd and 9, I'm a fine of Woodhead in those spots since we cannot get out of our own way in that regard.
Yea im fine with that too.. long his he dont treat him like he did pitta im cool. lots of receptions for no yardage

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
Yea im fine with that too.. long his he dont treat him like he did pitta im cool. lots of receptions for no yardage

I think that's where I like Woodhead as that security blanket. Surely he's more mobile than Pitta (who isn't at this point) and if we can get him in open space with screens or dump offs he can do damage, even if it isn't the same damage he might've done 5 years ago. I also feel like his football IQ will allow him to be good even if he slightly loses a step.

I'm actually really excited for this offense and Perriman is the one person I'm looking forward to seeing. It's perfect in the sense you have a streaker in Wallace and you have Maclin who is a legit number 1 when healthy who can run the tree and Perriman who will continue to learn from both and do a blend of everything. I feel like Perriman is the one who defenses will have to overlook and he's the most explosive person on our offense.

usmccharles

Practice Squad
I would of said Woodhead before the Dixon injury. My thing was, with Dixon we would not have to depended on woodhead for production, there for i thought he was going to outshine is roster spot. But now, with having to depend on Woodhead i dont think he is much of a 'sleeper'

I am going to go out on a limb here, i think Kaufusi might be able to make some damage and get his name mentioned a bit.

If Joe is healthy and our OL clicks, i predicted BP to have 1k yards and knock on double digit TDs

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
I would of said Woodhead before the Dixon injury. My thing was, with Dixon we would not have to depended on woodhead for production, there for i thought he was going to outshine is roster spot. But now, with having to depend on Woodhead i dont think he is much of a 'sleeper'

I am going to go out on a limb here, i think Kaufusi might be able to make some damage and get his name mentioned a bit.

If Joe is healthy and our OL clicks, i predicted BP to have 1k yards and knock on double digit TDs

Agree with the 1k+ yards and double digit TD's. I have been hesitant about it with Maclin coming on board but in all honesty, I'm sure Maclin will miss a few games at some point. I also think Perriman and Wallace on the field at the same time is basically uncoverable if used correctly so Perriman should see his fair share of open field if he can stay healthy and keep putting it together.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I think that's where I like Woodhead as that security blanket. Surely he's more mobile than Pitta (who isn't at this point) and if we can get him in open space with screens or dump offs he can do damage, even if it isn't the same damage he might've done 5 years ago. I also feel like his football IQ will allow him to be good even if he slightly loses a step.

I'm actually really excited for this offense and Perriman is the one person I'm looking forward to seeing. It's perfect in the sense you have a streaker in Wallace and you have Maclin who is a legit number 1 when healthy who can run the tree and Perriman who will continue to learn from both and do a blend of everything. I feel like Perriman is the one who defenses will have to overlook and he's the most explosive person on our offense.
out offense is setup to be nice. Like we have the talent to damage, but its up to flacco and the oline. We gotta have a rum ground for us to be successful and i just dont see it in our current running back group!

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Tough call here. Sleepers to breakout is pretty much wishful thinking. lol Cuz how often do players that most don't know of become stars and household names. So it's a hybrid who would we like to see breakout that actually has a real chance to do so.

Well we all know I like Willie Henry. His raw athleticism and strength levels are up there. He is very raw when it comes to technique. He is thirsty to get stronger and more explosive if somebody can show him. He has run the 40 in as low as 4.8 range at 310lbs. And about 30 reps. He is strong enough to play NT and athletic enough to play Defensive End and Strong side 3-4 OLB. He is a player I'm really rooting for to breakout. Interior pressure dudes!! Nothing like it to slow down potent offenses and throw a wrench in opponents game plan!! Ravens need that to take our defense to that dominant level that opponents fear.

I especially wanted one for ravens since missing out on Geno Akins. One of my favorite players coming out of all time. Believed he was the next Warren Sapp. I was sooooooo pissed we drafted loser Cody over him. And believed ravens needed a dominant interior penetrator to make up for missing Atkins. Thought Grady Jarrett would be that player. But we ignored him as well for bigger 320lb scrub in Davis. Not quite as explosive as Atkins but nonetheless he was one of my 3 favorite players in that draft. A draft I really liked.

Chris Moore has the skills to put it together and be a very productive WR. The dude has it all!! Fluid explosive routes, an extra gear of breakaway speed, downfield ball skills!! And although he caught the dropsies he has shown very good hands. I liked Malcolm Mitchell a touch better. While Moore and Mitchell can separate deep and intermediate. I think Moore is a touch more explosive in intermediate and deep routes. And can climb the ladder to be a slightly better big play threat. I think Mitchell's routes have better traction to be more functional.

Jensen I pick to be one the better Centers. Judon could be double digit sack producer. Boyle can be an effective TE but not a game changer to call him a breakout player.