• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Pound the table thread

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Just gonna come back and gloat AGAIN about the Marlon Humphrey pick that I called in February.

When I did my final mock, I think it got something like -26 or something insane because people felt that Humphrey just wasn't worth it. Isn't that cute?
Lol, I remember that. I think I went back after the draft and gave you a +1.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So, I told my girlfriend to grab my hand if they picked Humphrey and closed my eyes and turned away with my ears plugged up. Grabbed my arm and I was so damn excited.

man that's cool
i was watching the draft and i was drained because 2 of my top 4-5 prospects went the 2 picks before in hooker and barnett and then i was so excited for TJ (the kid who announced the pick) and he pumped his fist and i was like, well if TJ likes it im ok with it and the crowd went wild for it despite it being in philly - and i was sold - all i knew at that point was i wanted timmy williams on the team and i didnt really want jonathan allen and reuben foster's plummet was concerning me so it left marlon, oj, cam and timmy williams in my head (all bama lol and even reuben and allen were too - which is crazy that they were all on my big board realistic picks there) - i knew it wouldnt be timmy as much as i wanted and didnt think we'd go with cam either which left marlon and oj and once i worked that out i was like hell yeah im ok with whatever happens here... i went through a real rollercoster of emotions for those 10 minutes or so...

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
man that's cool
i was watching the draft and i was drained because 2 of my top 4-5 prospects went the 2 picks before in hooker and barnett and then i was so excited for TJ (the kid who announced the pick) and he pumped his fist and i was like, well if TJ likes it im ok with it and the crowd went wild for it despite it being in philly - and i was sold - all i knew at that point was i wanted timmy williams on the team and i didnt really want jonathan allen and reuben foster's plummet was concerning me so it left marlon, oj, cam and timmy williams in my head (all bama lol and even reuben and allen were too - which is crazy that they were all on my big board realistic picks there) - i knew it wouldnt be timmy as much as i wanted and didnt think we'd go with cam either which left marlon and oj and once i worked that out i was like hell yeah im ok with whatever happens here... i went through a real rollercoster of emotions for those 10 minutes or so...
I just felt so strongly that it was going to be Humphrey, but I was scared. You just never know with Ozzie. In 2011, Jimmy was the one pick I wanted more than anyone, but I didn't know. Ozzie kinda does his own thing, even when things don't seem to make sense in the moment.

When the Humphrey pick came in, I just lost it. I was so thrilled. And this is going to sound weird, but I was glad Humphrey and Barnett went before Humphrey. I personally wasn't on the bandwagon for either at 16, but I also wanted zero temptation to take away from Humphrey.

When it came to Williams, I actually heard that scouts felt he'd fall and may be available in the third and I was so close to mocking him to the Ravens, but I was like, "No, if he makes it to the third, some team will take a chance. Plus, Harbaugh and Ozzie have been on a clean streak, so I doubt he comes in here." When they called his name after the Bowser pick, I just go way too excited for this defense.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I just felt so strongly that it was going to be Humphrey, but I was scared. You just never know with Ozzie. In 2011, Jimmy was the one pick I wanted more than anyone, but I didn't know. Ozzie kinda does his own thing, even when things don't seem to make sense in the moment.

When the Humphrey pick came in, I just lost it. I was so thrilled. And this is going to sound weird, but I was glad Humphrey and Barnett went before Humphrey. I personally wasn't on the bandwagon for either at 16, but I also wanted zero temptation to take away from Humphrey.

When it came to Williams, I actually heard that scouts felt he'd fall and may be available in the third and I was so close to mocking him to the Ravens, but I was like, "No, if he makes it to the third, some team will take a chance. Plus, Harbaugh and Ozzie have been on a clean streak, so I doubt he comes in here." When they called his name after the Bowser pick, I just go way too excited for this defense.

since ive got into drafting etc. they've never picked my guy - like i had cj mosley nailed on but i 100% wanted Odell beckham or aaron donald and even haha clinton dix too
-that being said i was a big proponent of both timmy williams and jermaine eluemunor this offseason and timmy was the pick that sent me into a state of pure euphoria - i had to go for a walk after day 2 of the draft came in - even the wormley pick is growing on me given how hes played in limited snaps
- i think most of us had matt judon nailed on in 2016 too, and maxx williams in 2015, i also had terrence brooks in 2014 but they were never my guy - they were guys i thought we'd draft or that i liked for us to draft but they were never the player that i was excited about

im not saying i havent loved a lot of the picks but there's a difference between thinking about a pick in the way you obviously felt about marlon and the way i felt about cj mosley for instance - both could well become cornerstones of our defence for years to come too and ive loved both these picks - but man i would have shit myself if derek barnett was in baltimore right now

so im hoping that this coming year is the year where i fall in love with a prospect and hear his name called in the first round

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
- i think most of us had matt judon nailed on in 2016 too, and maxx williams in 2015, i also had terrence brooks in 2014 but they were never my guy - they were guys i thought we'd draft or that i liked for us to draft but they were never the player that i was excited about
Maxx and Brooks were VERY popular players to mock to the Ravens in their respective draft classes, but who the hell had the Ravens taking Judon?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Maxx and Brooks were VERY popular players to mock to the Ravens in their respective draft classes, but who the hell had the Ravens taking Judon?

i remember seeing a load of people talk about him and how he'd be available later in the draft and was a small school guy that made a lot of sense for the ravens - or did i dream that up

coz i remember mocking him to us on fanspeak all the time and i definitely didnt come across him myself lol

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
i remember seeing a load of people talk about him and how he'd be available later in the draft and was a small school guy that made a lot of sense for the ravens - or did i dream that up

coz i remember mocking him to us on fanspeak all the time and i definitely didnt come across him myself lol
I mean, we do have a few people who really dig in, but when they called his name, I just went, "Who?"

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I honestly cant remember. Any busts to speak of? John ross and Mike williams havent done much. Nor has davis or Howard
Always thought Ross was overhyped. Mike Williams I liked, but I liked Davis better. That being said, Both Williams and Davis have been injured to this point quite a bit. Too early to say they are busts.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I definitely watched a bunch of his tape in the Forum mock and liked him, but didn’t think we would be able to get him past the 4th round.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Always thought Ross was overhyped. Mike Williams I liked, but I liked Davis better. That being said, Both Williams and Davis have been injured to this point quite a bit. Too early to say they are busts.

they've all 3 dealt with injuries but davis and williams have shown flashes of potential coming back from them - corey davis is showing off some great route running straight off the bat and mike williams is being physical - john ross is literally not even finished learning the playbook let alone finishing his routes (he just doesnt seem to want it)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
they've all 3 dealt with injuries but davis and williams have shown flashes of potential coming back from them - corey davis is showing off some great route running straight off the bat and mike williams is being physical - john ross is literally not even finished learning the playbook let alone finishing his routes (he just doesnt seem to want it)
Yep, I’ve seem Davis route running skills. It was a reason He was my favorite wr in this draft. Haven’t watched much of williams yet, but it doesn’t surprise me he is being physical. In regards to Ross, he’s got a long road ahead.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
so my boi ahkello witherspoon had himself a day today - i always thought he was one of the best looking pure cover corners in the draft and i had a 2nd round grade on him
I also loved Witherspoon. I had a third round grade on him because I value tackling a lot more than others for corners, but coverage wise he was a specimen. He was in the running for most gifted corner in this class.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I also loved Witherspoon. I had a third round grade on him because I value tackling a lot more than others for corners, but coverage wise he was a specimen. He was in the running for most gifted corner in this class.

So long as well - he’s prototypical in terms of arm length etc. with the ability to stick to a receivers hip like glue - he may not get loads of picks in his career (to be seen) but he’s sure as hell gonna get loads of passes defenced

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
So long as well - he’s prototypical in terms of arm length etc. with the ability to stick to a receivers hip like glue - he may not get loads of picks in his career (to be seen) but he’s sure as hell gonna get loads of passes defenced
Yeah that's what I meant by «gifted». The way he could wrap a receiver with his arms alone was almost unfair.