• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: DL Justin Madubuike (71) and Broderick Washington Jr (170)

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Inconsistent I guess.

That's why he dropped. Elliot dropped because of his lower snaps in general. Seems also like the powerhouses of the SEC got a lot more love for their prospects this year than in previous years ,they always had the dominance of course but i guess with the plandemic ( no spelling error) scouts got lazier.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Okay so I watched Madubuike vs alabama and saw absolutely nothing. zip nadda. watched him vs clemson, Nadda, watched him vs Auburn...nothing
Full games, every snap he played. When I watched elliot vs top teams he stood out consistenly. Madubuike only played great IMO against 1 top team and that's LSU. His other two very good games were against arkansas and ole miss in particular.

Starting to hate the madbuike over elliot pick more and more. It's more about projection and hope with madbuike than tangible substance where you can at least see that this guy is going to be consistent ( elliot impressed me in every game I watched pre draft)

He dominates in some games and goes totally missing in others. He can rack up half a dozen pressures and sacks vs ole miss and then look like he was vs alabama and totally non existent and dominated by the O line
You’re severely overrating Elliott at this point lol. You have a preference and I get that, but you’re telling lies to exaggerate your preference. I myself saw the Clemson tape and he jumped off the film a number of times.

I’ve noticed a few things with how you evaluate the ravens choices. One, if it’s not your guy then he sucks lol. Two, you expect the team to only add absolute superstars no matter how unrealistic. And three, you have a preference and that is for flashier “money down” prospects, guys who you want to get you off the field on third and long, and I want those guys too, but you disregard entirely the value someone brings on the other downs, Jordan Elliott can fly, he can get skinny, and he can disrupt the hell out of a play, he’s been incredible at that, but it’s also been the ONLY thing he’s been able to do well, if he doesn’t win on his jump and Quick penetrate ability then he’s out of the play, the ravens very obviously do not like that type of DT and I also had madubuike quite a bit higher than Elliott for the same reasons. You can’t take advantage of a pass rushing DT if you can’t force third and long, and you can’t force third and long if you have a band of pass rushers on first and second down getting downblocked leaving gaps because all they know is shoot.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
You’re severely overrating Elliott at this point lol. You have a preference and I get that, but you’re telling lies to exaggerate your preference. I myself saw the Clemson tape and he jumped off the film a number of times.

I’ve noticed a few things with how you evaluate the ravens choices. One, if it’s not your guy then he sucks lol. Two, you expect the team to only add absolute superstars no matter how unrealistic. And three, you have a preference and that is for flashier “money down” prospects, guys who you want to get you off the field on third and long, and I want those guys too, but you disregard entirely the value someone brings on the other downs, Jordan Elliott can fly, he can get skinny, and he can disrupt the hell out of a play, he’s been incredible at that, but it’s also been the ONLY thing he’s been able to do well, if he doesn’t win on his jump and Quick penetrate ability then he’s out of the play, the ravens very obviously do not like that type of DT and I also had madubuike quite a bit higher than Elliott for the same reasons. You can’t take advantage of a pass rushing DT if you can’t force third and long, and you can’t force third and long if you have a band of pass rushers on first and second down getting downblocked leaving gaps because all they know is shoot.

I'ts simple really. For example, I think Kenneth Dixon ( minus the injury issues) was a better running back than JK Dobbins when he came out. For me, i think injuries are the only thing that stopped him from being an all pro.

Madubuike reminds me of so many prospects that have been meh or at best SOLID. Sure, if Jernigan is what you want, I can see that but a hot/cold motor and inconsistency doesn't warm my heart.

Was it great value? YES! Does that mean hes going to be that Pass rush guy ? EDC alluded to Geno Atkins and Aron Donald when talking about madubuike and i had flashbacks of Pees bringing up Elam and Troy Polomalu in the same sentence, and i laughed/cried despair.

He needs a lot of work, a LOT. I trust our coaches but we havent drafted a pass rushing interior force since McPhee

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'ts simple really. For example, I think Kenneth Dixon ( minus the injury issues) was a better running back than JK Dobbins when he came out. For me, i think injuries are the only thing that stopped him from being an all pro.

Madubuike reminds me of so many prospects that have been meh or at best SOLID. Sure, if Jernigan is what you want, I can see that but a hot/cold motor and inconsistency doesn't warm my heart.

Was it great value? YES! Does that mean hes going to be that Pass rush guy ? EDC alluded to Geno Atkins and Aron Donald when talking about madubuike and i had flashbacks of Pees bringing up Elam and Troy Polomalu in the same sentence, and i laughed/cried despair.

He needs a lot of work, a LOT. I trust our coaches but we havent drafted a pass rushing interior force since McPhee
we havent drafted a pure pass rushing interior because we just straight up dont believe in that lol. you wanna draft patrick queen in the first and then draft a guy who hasnt shown that he can anchor blocks and hold his ground in the run game? like i said youll never get to third and long and let that pass rusher shine if your DTs are shooting and getting tipped over from the side and blockers get to the second level and wash guys like Queen and Clark. and also, jernigan was a bit of a problem, he wasnt in football shape until his last season in baltimore, he was an injury concern constantly, and when he was traded to the eagles he had an undisclosed injury that the team could not track the source to and it wasnt found out until after the draft which caused some problems in their FO with him because they shaped their offseason around his presence, which suggests that jernigan got injured in some non team sanctioned activities and wasnt forthright about it. i wouldnt compare the 2, i can see the ability comparison, but you cant compare characters, jernigan wasnt necessarily a poor character guy but he never seemed to be all in and was injured a lot.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
this is the 3rd play vs. Alabama. He's late off the ball but do you notice him rag dolling the guard gap to gap?
justin.gif

I haven't watched the whole game but this is the 3rd play in. You don't always look for spark plays/sacks,etc.
justin 2.gif

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Clemson was the best of his worst and it wasn't that good aside from a tiny splurry. THe worst tape is vs Alabama IMO. it's available on youtube

Against Ole Miss and Arkansas he looked as dominant as Kinlaw.
Elliot has this way of KNIFING which translates IMO. Shades of Tuitt but not the finisher Tuitt was

can you send me a link to the bama tape you found on youtube - i havent been able to find it anywhere

EDIT: I see you've sent it already

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Some notes from early on Madubuike vs Bama:

he's been repeatedly slow off the snap which is a bit odd but noticed it a few times in this game so far
Bama is clearly worried about him because he's getting doubled and at one point so far even triple teamed on any given pass rushing down - hardly being left 1v1 at all
In those rare cases where he is 1v1 he's moving guys pretty violently

it's notable schematically that Bama's passing game is getting the ball out in less than 2 seconds (which negates a pass rush from anyone) and is only looking for deep shots with time in the pocket so far off play action

first passing down that i've seen he's actually left 1v1 he beats the guard, turns the corner and gets held (non-called) but still gets enough of a pressure to flush tua

rossihunter2

Staff Member

gets his hands into the guard and slaps both his hands away which rocks him and he's already won the snap - uses getting the hands off to propel him into the gap and penetrate - guard has to put arms over the shoulder and i'd say that's a pretty clear hold but it wasn't called - you'd like to see madubuike use an upwards rip there to clear - he seems to trip as he's bending towards Tua (might get clipped by the foot of the tackle but it's hard to make out) - either way that's a pretty flashy snap that i'd say probably should have been called a hold which would negate 7 points - pretty big play i'd say

has no real impact on the play here because it gets run away from him but watch how he re-sets the LoS and look at the rest of the players who were lined up on the LoS

beats the RG to the gap and stays across him - Jedrick Wills tries to double him but he's too quick - gets his hands in, controls the RG and pushes him over some trash in the LoS and then finishes to make the stop on a goal-line play

and then i thought i'd take a screenshot of this just to emphasise a point - so much of this game he spent doubled but this still is ridiculous lol:

Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 22.01.17.png

If you cant work it out - Madubuike is the guy at the bottom getting triple-teamed by 2 IOL and a top 10 pick