• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Post-Draft Discussion Thread

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Whether Boykin and duvernay pan out or not, I love the trend of day 2 WR picks every year and I want it to keep up as much as possible, you need firepower to win in this AFC arms race and WR has such a low conversion rate that you can never draft too many of them.

Yup. Keep shooting darts and hope it lands bullseye. If there’s one thing I like about the Steelers, it’s this approach. They always take a WR every year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Whether Boykin and duvernay pan out or not, I love the trend of day 2 WR picks every year and I want it to keep up as much as possible, you need firepower to win in this AFC arms race and WR has such a low conversion rate that you can never draft too many of them.

just taking shots will ensure we occasionally hit on 1 every now and again

part of the problem with us picking WRs in the past is down to not taking enough WRs in the first place and spending enough draft capital on them

we've spent as many top 3 round picks on WRs in the last 2 years as we had in the previous 7

i figure part of the reason we want as many draft picks as possible every year is because it increases our chances of being able to grab one of those guys at those positions where we always want to be adding players:

OL
DL
CB
WR

i figure it's those 3 positions we always want to add players to every year - historically we've been pretty good with the first 3 positions (we learnt about corner the hard way from having those 2-3 years where we only had 1 who never played a full year) and we've finally come to the realisation that you need to take shots at a position to have a chance of having players pan out because as much as there's skill to drafting, part of that skill has to be about making the most of its lottery-like elements which requires having more tickets

in lots of drafts there often seems to be value towards the back end of day 2 at WR (ironically i wasnt a fan of the depth of WR in round 3 last year but we traded up to go and get our guy)

i always feel like the 2nd round is the sweet spot for WRs but we havent taken one there since torrey smith

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
in lots of drafts there often seems to be value towards the back end of day 2 at WR (ironically i wasnt a fan of the depth of WR in round 3 last year but we traded up to go and get our guy)

i always feel like the 2nd round is the sweet spot for WRs but we havent taken one there since torrey smith

Seems like the value is always at the top of the 2nd. For example this year, The only WRs available at pick 55 were Denzel Mims and Van Jefferson. I though Van was a 3rd rounder. And I can see why we went with JK over Denzel. WRs flew off the board early this year. 6 in the 1st round and 10 all together before our pick. I much rather have the 2nd / 3rd best RB than the 10th WR lol. Luckily, next year's draft class is said to be just as good.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Seems like the value is always at the top of the 2nd. For example this year, The only WRs available at pick 55 were Denzel Mims and Van Jefferson. I though Van was a 3rd rounder. And I can see why we went with JK over Denzel. WRs flew off the board early this year. 6 in the 1st round and 10 all together before our pick. I much rather have the 2nd / 3rd best RB than the 10th WR lol. Luckily, next year's draft class is said to be just as good.

was actually 11 WRs that were gone before we picked but i get your point
that many WRs going like that is pretty unprecedented tbh - maybe 2014 is comparable but otherwise not really been seen before

the WR class did get poached this year so early - teams made sure they got 1, if they were going to get 1, as early as they could and it meant that none of them slipped (which is often what people suggest might happen because you can get one later - but with the variance in which WRs teams liked and with no consensus after the top 3 it meant that teams hurried to get "their" guy)

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
My gut tells me Boykin isn't going to amount to anything that much more than what we saw last year.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
My gut tells me Boykin isn't going to amount to anything that much more than what we saw last year.

he just seems so heavy footed. Even in this clip, it looks like he’s running with bricks on him lol

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Hopefully its becuz one of our rookie wideouts really steps out in his first year and I'm thinking its Duvernay. Get him involved in quick screens and work the interior of the field out of the slot but I'm still hoping for 15-20 catches more from Boykin. I'm thinking he's gonna be more used as a deep threat.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
he just seems so heavy footed. Even in this clip, it looks like he’s running with bricks on him lol

i think he's not as "quick" in short areas but he's certainly fast and has long-speed

but he's not going to be as light across the grounds purely because of his size

and we are comparing him to one of the twitchiest and sudden athletes in the league and justice hill who is also a twitchy athlete

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
maybe that's so - but he's the only real option at outside receiver we have on the roster outside of marquise and he's the best blocker on the WR corps so he's going to get snaps and opportunities

oh he's excellent at the blocking game. He'll be a good player for our scheme but as far as being a playmaker in the conventional sense there's something lacking in him which i pointed out even before last year started after we drafted him.

if he can get 400 yards that'll be a success ( combined with his run blocking etc)

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'd really like us to kick the tires with corey davis if the titans arent in the mix come mid season. He'd be a very solid number 2

as for opinions, as far as im concerned, hollywood is going to be elite.