• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Post-Draft Discussion Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Edc interview notes

• he was most surprised about dobbins being available there at 55
  • Pretty open about rbs generally - recognised that the analytics community is obsessed with rbs and their value but ultimately you do have to remember to look at the player also and dobbins was the type of classic BPA where the grade far exceeds where he’s getting picked
  • Said there were 4 RBs they thought might go in the 1st (dobbins, Edwards-helaire, swift and Taylor) and then 3 other guys they thought were really talented - Akers, moss and interestingly: aj dillon
  • Duvernay was the pick they were most nervous about having the player fall to them - was the receiver they were most excited about in the 3rd round - they were most hoping for him not to get taken before the pick
  • Malik was one they also sweated out about him getting snapped up
  • They agonise over every pick where there’s a guy they really want with the pick
  • Talks about studying consensus bias - the tendency for people to assume that everyone else sees the board and sees the players just like you do when that’s not normally the case and it’s why they know that they can often sit and have a guy they really like fall to them without having to move up - to understand that helps you not to panic and trade up when it’s likely a player you like will fall to you because of the general volatility of the draft and variance in other teams draft boards
  • EDC clearly does not like the idea of giving up picks
  • AJ wasn’t even a second thought - jk was by far the highest rated guy on our board - mentions good relationship with people at Iowa and that he’s a player that we liked but dobbins was way more exciting and coveted by the ravens - he said it was like dobbins just “fell out of the sky”
  • Love decosta taking a sly dig - says he’ll read some stuff on the website but as soon as mink writes anything on the draft he doesn’t bother because it’s basically worthless lol
  • Talking about the running backs as a group of 4 and not in terms of competition for spots - certainly seems to suggest that he at least is thinking that we’ll keep 4 and trust Roman to find roles for them in the same way he did TEs last year (my guess is that Justice maybe gets in for his special teams as well as being a RB)
  • Decosta wasn’t directly comparing but when talking about madubuike he instantly brought up Aaron Donald and geno Atkins to talk about him - talking about wreaking havoc inside and finding interior pass rusher - Justin’s a guy who has the talent “in his body” to be an inside pass rusher - he’s “twitchy”, “strong with his hands”, “plays hard”, “got excellent penetration ability”, “lateral agility”, “natural explosive qualities” - thinks he can develop into an inside pass rusher for us
  • Duvernay is an angry football player - good character fit in Baltimore - EDC says he thinks about the best receivers we’ve ever had in Baltimore and you think of highly competitive guys (different styles with different games but highly competitive “warriors”) - that’s what EDC sees in Duvernay - different style but the same sort of mentality - specifically namechecks Steve Smith, derek mason and anquan boldin
  • Malik Harrison gets overlooked because of his size and length
  • If we take 2 guys at a position in one draft class it normally means we really like the 2nd guy a lot:
Marshal Yanda after Ben Grubbs

Dennis pitta after Ed Dickson

Mark Andrews after Hayden hurst

• if we take that 2nd guy, edc says fans should look at that 2nd guy and go “wow they must really like that 2nd guy”
  • *I personally wonder in some of these cases if the fact we got the first guy allowed us to take a slight risk on the 2nd guy who may have higher upside (and sometimes doesn’t always pan out like Tim Williams whose ceiling was enormous but he never got his head right)*
  • Harbaugh was one of the biggest advocates for tyre phillips since he saw him in January/February - edc said harbs became enthralled with his [tyre’s] ability in our offence
  • Underrated athlete
  • Harbs really excited about this pick - been talking about him to EDC since the combine
  • Said initially thought we could get him towards the end of the 3rd or 4th - lots of OL started to go in the 3rd and EDC said at that point the mission was to make sure we got Phillips - probably the only pick that sounds like they reached for a guy they knew they wanted but maybe thought could be had a bit later - I’m guessing that part of the rationale was that we smashed the first 5 picks and had still managed to acquire an extra day 2 pick so we could go and reach slightly for need on a guy our HC loved
  • Ben bredeson: physical, tough, experienced, intelligent - thinks he’s next in long line of experienced big-ten offensive linemen who can come in and play for us and play really well - trying to work out who he’s referring to: Alex Lewis, Rick Wagner, John urschel, Marshal Yanda
  • Tbf that’s a pretty great hit rate from that conference...
  • Omg downing is so much better as an interviewer than mink - will actually take advantage of what EDC says and create a conversation - them talking to EDC as a mixologist was more interesting than anything mink said the whole time
  • EDC said both Ozzie and harbs had to be on mute at some point
  • Didn’t mind the virtual draft and had no trepidation about it but said the thing he hated was not having Ozzie and pat sat next to him for the first time in 24 years - at some points he would get away from the cameras etc by taking his phone into the closet and calling Ozzie 1 to 1 - used it for 1-1 calls with any of the top brass... Steve, Ozzie, harbs, joe Hortiz, George kokinis
  • Went into the closet even though he knew the cameras couldn’t actually hear him
  • Ravens have always tried to make the draft feel like a team effort and not just 1 person
  • Said with proche (because it was the 5 that we got from the steelers for wormley) that he asked himself the question - would I trade Chris wormley for James proche?
  • Thinks we’ll be getting some comp picks next year (I don’t know where the second pick would be coming from)
  • Said there were guys we would have been happy taking (and wanted to get extra picks for) in the 7th - says we got some of them as udfas but couldn’t talk about them because they can’t take physicals yet - it’s prohibited for him to announce those guys - says he does think that we might have got 3-4 guys who we would have drafted

Thats a great read but I dont really like the idea of him sharing so much information about jis draft process, every GM out there will study these notes

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Thats a great read but I dont really like the idea of him sharing so much information about jis draft process, every GM out there will study these notes
he's not revealing anything that will put him behind the eight ball.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

he's not really revealing anything that would give anyone any info about the next draft class or free agency - it was mostly what we liked about certain players we got, why we picked them vs other options which only really gives away how we felt about some of this draft class which helps other teams not at all because the draft has already happened

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Watching Duverney's 2019's highlights and I came away very impressed. I think he starts at some point this year.

he's not really revealing anything that would give anyone any info about the next draft class or free agency - it was mostly what we liked about certain players we got, why we picked them vs other options which only really gives away how we felt about some of this draft class which helps other teams not at all because the draft has already happened

If I were a GM for another team I would be studying everyones tendencies and how they operate, literally everyone who saw the interview or read the notes learned something they didn't know about our draft process. EDC even says that they study concensus bias.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
If I were a GM for another team I would be studying everyones tendencies and how they operate, literally everyone who saw the interview or read the notes learned something they didn't know about our draft process. EDC even says that they study concensus bias.
But that's assuming that other GMs operate completely differently from EDC. There are some GMs that definitely deviate from the rest in their player evaluation (Seattle, NE, Oakland), but for the most part players seem to go in the range that they're expected to. What makes the most difference in the drafting process is whether a team is aggressive in trading up, willing to trade to back and let the board play out, draft for need, or draft BPA.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
But that's assuming that other GMs operate completely differently from EDC. There are some GMs that definitely deviate from the rest in their player evaluation (Seattle, NE, Oakland), but for the most part players seem to go in the range that they're expected to. What makes the most difference in the drafting process is whether a team is aggressive in trading up, willing to trade to back and let the board play out, draft for need, or draft BPA.
I think EDC is just more realistic in assessing the real gap in quality between perceived ranges (in reality there isn't much difference between rd2 and rd4) and cares less about the position / need at any point during the draft.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
EDC needs to bring in AB. I just have this feeling that on this team AB will not be a drama queen.
Id ask him to delete social media and that would be my first test. If he says yes to that, you know he knows this is about getting things sorted

you just cannot teach ABS level of route running, agility and hands. He'll not want to fuck up esp with his cousin ( who obviously he's very close with) on the team. I'm sure they would absolutely love the idea of a brown brown combination as outside WR's

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
EDC needs to bring in AB. I just have this feeling that on this team AB will not be a drama queen.
Id ask him to delete social media and that would be my first test. If he says yes to that, you know he knows this is about getting things sorted

you just cannot teach ABS level of route running, agility and hands. He'll not want to fuck up esp with his cousin ( who obviously he's very close with) on the team. I'm sure they would absolutely love the idea of a brown brown combination as outside WR's
I couldn't disagree more.
Never want to see him in purple.

Talking bout post draft: I've been watching just 2 Washington s tapes (Baylor 2019 amd Ole Miss 2018). Man.. He's veeery active with his hands.
Always throwing an arm over and using blocker's momentums to pull himself free.
Of course he plays a good amount of reps with high pads, too, which will def cost some big run plays if not addressed.
Afterall, there's a reason if he wasn't a sure fire 1st rounder lol. He's a nice developemental piece to have behind Campbell nonetheless

Reactions: cdp

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
what if he proved you wrong and wasn't drama?

He cannot, after proving time and again he's a clown and the most selfish player in the history of the NFL.
That one move would destroy what the Ravens are about for these 25 years.
Regarding allblack's comments, this and all of this. I think back to the Steelers at Ravens game in 2017. The Steelers were in control virtually all game long. I don't even think they trailed. Once I saw AB throwing a temper tantrum on the sidelines for not getting the ball enough DESPITE being in the lead, I knew right then that he was nothing more than a "me, me, me" player.

Sure, he'll say the right things. He'll say that he's humbled, he reached rock bottom, etc. But the moment things turn south, he'll end up acting like a bitch yet again causing unnecessary drama which he apparently he loves to do. Hard pass.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
what if he proved you wrong and wasn't drama?
Then he'd be the same player he was in Pittsburgh for a long time. A guy we shut out of in a lot of games, a guy who didn't really care if that team won, as long as he got the ball a ton.

There has never been a team in league history who was like "yeah, we would have been a Lombardi contender if we had AB". Not once ever. And you can't guarantee me prime AB.

Plus there's pretty much no scenario where he doesn't spend at least 4-6 games on the suspension list. The NFL is practically begging him to sign with a team, just so they can begin his suspension.

AB's absolute best contribution to society, at this point, is farting on camera.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I hate to say it but I have the same hunch. We make fun of Harbaugh but it’s undeniable that he just has an uncanny ability to let a person be their best self. There’s something special about a harbaugh locker room when you’re winning, his shit gets stale quick when you’re consistently losing though.

mc_red23

Pro Bowler

Fuck no! He can stay where he is as far as I'm concerned. We've heard all this before, "on this team he won't be this way" etc. but look what happened in New England. The guy can't keep his mouth shut for 2 minutes.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Fuck no! He can stay where he is as far as I'm concerned. We've heard all this before, "on this team he won't be this way" etc. but look what happened in New England. The guy can't keep his mouth shut for 2 minutes.

Dont underestimate Hollywood being on the roster and his effect in a positive sense to keep AB mentally stable