• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 General Draft Thoughts

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
EBFF2AE1-8BAA-4FE5-ABE1-7B70C29DA0CA.png

i had picked up the chargers so I could simulate us trading brown for 13th straight up, this happened after taking devonta smith and rousseau.

I was pissed tf off lololol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
2 things:

1. I think Rousseau is a talent with immense potential

2. I never want to take him on these generators because it feels unrealistic, I think he goes much higher.

he might do but i think he should go a lot lower - i dont see him with higher potential than some of the other longer guys - he's long and young but I prefer Jordan Smith (as a long guy)

it's a good sign that supposedly Rousseau has added some more bulk to his frame because he looks super lanky on film but i dont look at the tape and see a 1st rounder at all let alone the top 15 player he keeps being mocked as...

if he's long gone by the time we pick at 27 then great, means an extra player is on the board when we're on the clock - i just dont see a 1st rounder when i watch him... 2nd rounder sure but not a 1 for me

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If we don’t get more draft picks, this class is going to be very unsatisfying and we better hope for LOTS of progression from our current roster

Simba

Staff Member
Can't believe the number of people in the media that overthinking Trevor Lawrence. He's not perfect but he's the clearcut QB1 for me, and that's coming from someone that also likes Wilson a lot. Just amazes me how many people are switching over to Wilson for his mobility like Lawrence doesn't have the ability to move in and out of the pocket as well.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Can't believe the number of people in the media that overthinking Trevor Lawrence. He's not perfect but he's the clearcut QB1 for me, and that's coming from someone that also likes Wilson a lot. Just amazes me how many people are switching over to Wilson for his mobility like Lawrence doesn't have the ability to move in and out of the pocket as well.

i just finished up my preliminary grades on the top 5 guys yesterday and unexpectedly lol... Lawrence is my QB 3

conversely i think he's a better athlete than Wilson and Fields (albeit Wilson's movement within the pocket is awesome) - the more i watched Lawrence the more i noticed he really struggles vs pressure and simulated pressure... it rushes up his mechanics and you see him making poor decisions consistently - he's really slow to come off his first-read and (weirdly) at other times he comes off way too early - a decent number of plays where the LB got brought right to the ball because he was staring down the read - the system he was in didn't help him as a prospect tbf, so much of it was designed quick throws to the perimeter

I just think he's not the safe prospect everyone said he was - i see better and more frequent examples on the tape i saw of fields and wilson going through progressions and working over the middle - and both of them deal with pressure much better than he does

but the idea that Lawrence is a statue is so dumb - he might be the fastest of all of the top guys in the class - there's one fun play where he starts catching up with travis etienne running full speed downfield - i honestly think right now his athleticism is one of his best attributes

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Wait that’s happening? Jesus. Trevor is a plus athlete, like he could run an option heavy playbook, bootleg heavy, whatever really. There is no playbook limitation with Trevor Lawrence what so ever

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I can’t think of many players I would draft at 27 over a trade back to pick up another 3rd

i think i'm with you - hard to imagine that one of the undeniable talents will be there (because there aren't that many of them) - but also hard to imagine that there won't be multiple guys we like available at 27

looking at my grades - i've got 10 guys with "late 1st" grades and another 15 with "early 2nd grades" - figures a lot of those guys will be available at 27 and it would make a ton of sense to trade down

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Wait that’s happening? Jesus. Trevor is a plus athlete, like he could run an option heavy playbook, bootleg heavy, whatever really. There is no playbook limitation with Trevor Lawrence what so ever

some stupid comments from an "anonymous NFL scout" or something like that talking about Lawrence not being number 1 on more than 1 teams's boards and the media up and ran with it - you had matt miller talking about how he failed to win against Fields and Burrow (which is an awful take lol) and others talking about Lawrence as if he were a 6'6 statue and not possibly the most mobile QB in the class

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
some stupid comments from an "anonymous NFL scout" or something like that talking about Lawrence not being number 1 on more than 1 teams's boards and the media up and ran with it - you had matt miller talking about how he failed to win against Fields and Burrow (which is an awful take lol) and others talking about Lawrence as if he were a 6'6 statue and not possibly the most mobile QB in the class
Eh I mean he’s clearly not fields or lance with his feet, but those guys also aren’t half the qb Lawrence is overall, and me personally I actually think Lawrence has been overhyped by quite a bit.

he’s still one of the all time greatest qb prospects though

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Eh I mean he’s clearly not fields or lance with his feet, but those guys also aren’t half the qb Lawrence is overall, and me personally I actually think Lawrence has been overhyped by quite a bit.

he’s still one of the all time greatest qb prospects though

idk that he's that special - i think this class has 5 really interesting QB prospects - but idk that i'd take them over most of the highly touted QBs the last few years

I liked Burrow better (think he was a great QB prospect)
I liked Rosen better (whoops)
I liked Darnold better
I liked Baker better
I liked Lamar better
I liked Trubisky better (whoops)
I liked Deshaun better

i just don't think he's that special of a prospect - he's got a really high ceiling and has been about as steady as it comes through his college career (and has a ton of starts over his time at Clemson)...

but i don't think he's even close to being an all-time great QB prospect - maybe in terms of hype he is, and media portrayal but idk about anything else

Simba

Staff Member
i just finished up my preliminary grades on the top 5 guys yesterday and unexpectedly lol... Lawrence is my QB 3

conversely i think he's a better athlete than Wilson and Fields (albeit Wilson's movement within the pocket is awesome) - the more i watched Lawrence the more i noticed he really struggles vs pressure and simulated pressure... it rushes up his mechanics and you see him making poor decisions consistently - he's really slow to come off his first-read and (weirdly) at other times he comes off way too early - a decent number of plays where the LB got brought right to the ball because he was staring down the read - the system he was in didn't help him as a prospect tbf, so much of it was designed quick throws to the perimeter

I just think he's not the safe prospect everyone said he was - i see better and more frequent examples on the tape i saw of fields and wilson going through progressions and working over the middle - and both of them deal with pressure much better than he does

but the idea that Lawrence is a statue is so dumb - he might be the fastest of all of the top guys in the class - there's one fun play where he starts catching up with travis etienne running full speed downfield - i honestly think right now his athleticism is one of his best attributes

I'm actually surprised to see this. Granted, I haven't dug into him since obviously we know where's going in the draft and there's not much reason from a Ravens perspective to look into him. But, I still feel like he's one of the better QBs in recent years. Maybe not Andrew Luck levels and maybe not Burrow (who honestly put together one of the best seasons I've seen), but still a premiere talent and I think better than anyone else in this class. Definitely think he can lock on to a guy for too long and has had some issues with pressure, but so much natural talent there and hard to believe he can't get that corrected.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm actually surprised to see this. Granted, I haven't dug into him since obviously we know where's going in the draft and there's not much reason from a Ravens perspective to look into him. But, I still feel like he's one of the better QBs in recent years. Maybe not Andrew Luck levels and maybe not Burrow (who honestly put together one of the best seasons I've seen), but still a premiere talent and I think better than anyone else in this class. Definitely think he can lock on to a guy for too long and has had some issues with pressure, but so much natural talent there and hard to believe he can't get that corrected.

i mean it's not like i'm gonna quibble with anyone who has them in a different order (though i will fight anyone who has fields below lance (which ive seen a fair amount)

they each have different strengths right now and different technical flaws that i think are pretty coachable

i think wilson's skillset is the one that translates quickest - the way he's able to create in the pocket and also make plays off-platform or off-schedule and elevate generally poor OL play is really nice and combine that with the great ball-placement and the way he throws with touch and it's a pretty nice recipe - you see him looking off defenders and going through progressions quickly, making pre-snap reads and taking advantage of mismatches

just lots of advanced traits on Wilson's tape that you don't see on Lawrence's in the way that I would have expected them to having heard about him the last 3 years

but as i say - i've got no issues with people stacking those 3 in a different order - but for me he's number 3 right now

and for what it's worth - me saying he's at number 3 is by no means me saying he won't succeed, just that i think i'd take the other 2 first...

if i were to combine this class with the 2020 class... i think it's pretty clear that all 3 of Lawrence, Wilson and Fields would be graded lower than Burrow but above Tua

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
idk that he's that special - i think this class has 5 really interesting QB prospects - but idk that i'd take them over most of the highly touted QBs the last few years

I liked Burrow better (think he was a great QB prospect)
I liked Rosen better (whoops)
I liked Darnold better
I liked Baker better
I liked Lamar better
I liked Trubisky better (whoops)
I liked Deshaun better

i just don't think he's that special of a prospect - he's got a really high ceiling and has been about as steady as it comes through his college career (and has a ton of starts over his time at Clemson)...

but i don't think he's even close to being an all-time great QB prospect - maybe in terms of hype he is, and media portrayal but idk about anything else
I liked burrow better, I didn’t like any of the others better. I was high on Rosen myself but I wouldn’t have ever dared put him on the Trevor Lawrence pedestal.

burrow though... best qb prospect Ive ever seen, ever, I think that dude is just different, like his swagger and confidence and all, just next level shit. Lawrence I compare to Andrew luck, Carson wentz as prospects, burrow gives me Peyton Manning vibes.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I liked burrow better, I didn’t like any of the others better. I was high on Rosen myself but I wouldn’t have ever dared put him on the Trevor Lawrence pedestal.

burrow though... best qb prospect Ive ever seen, ever, I think that dude is just different, like his swagger and confidence and all, just next level shit. Lawrence I compare to Andrew luck, Carson wentz as prospects, burrow gives me Peyton Manning vibes.

i didnt watch a ton of burrow last year to actually study him - just saw a lot because of jefferson, thad moss and those 3 guys on the OL
but it's been amazing getting to watch him this year for Chase and Marshall - just blowing the 3 this year out of the water

it's wild that it was a 1 year flash - but that LSU team (mostly because of him) is the best college team i think i've ever seen - obviously joe brady helps too lol