• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 General Draft Thoughts

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Good news today, Eric stokes, a borderline first kinda cb prospect, likely ran himself into the top 26 with a 4.24 40 at the GA pro day. In a league full of speed on offense and desperate for star corners, that will almost guarantee a team drafts him high. That’s good for the team with the best corner tandem in the league plus some decent depth at the 3/4 spot.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
So I don't know how good the fit is for us with Zaven Collins but I know his tape is bananas so if we take him I'll like it a lot. Also m'y comp for him is " less athletic but actually plays football " Tremaine Edmunds.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
i just always get really nervous with these tweener types - but he's an absurdly freaky athlete at his size and weight
The problem is most tweeners are undersized for the edge and it becomes hard to really use them at the NFL level. However, Collins is like 260. He's got the size to hold up as a pure edge guy if need be. For comparison, he's a good ten plus pounds heavier than Bowser. With Collins he can be just an absurdly athletic edge that sometimes blitzes from the middle.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The problem is most tweeners are undersized for the edge and it becomes hard to really use them at the NFL level. However, Collins is like 260. He's got the size to hold up as a pure edge guy if need be. For comparison, he's a good ten plus pounds heavier than Bowser. With Collins he can be just an absurdly athletic edge that sometimes blitzes from the middle.

i get that for sure - it's just a fear based on previous attempts at tweener picks

and i guess if i'm projecting him at EDGE it's just hard without many reps of him actually rushing vs a tackle or tight end on the edge - like i see how physically dominant he is but it just makes me nervous - there are awesome flashes as an edge but i just dont have many reps to look at

normally guys are going the other way as tweeners from EDGE to LB and he's maybe going the other way

i like him as a LB - if i knew he could be a consistent danger off the edge he'd probably be a top 10 player in this draft class (and probably the undisputed best defender) - but i just haven't got the confidence in that right now

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
So I don't know how good the fit is for us with Zaven Collins but I know his tape is bananas so if we take him I'll like it a lot. Also m'y comp for him is " less athletic but actually plays football " Tremaine Edmunds.
I didnt like edmunds coming out at all.. didnt even think he was close ro raquan smith. Edmunds had tooo much hype after the combine.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I didnt like edmunds coming out at all.. didnt even think he was close ro raquan smith. Edmunds had tooo much hype after the combine.
I mean he was an athlete more than anything and he was a project. And Smith was selected like 10 picks before him so there's really never been a debate between the two.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I mean he was an athlete more than anything and he was a project. And Smith was selected like 10 picks before him so there's really never been a debate between the two.
There was def a debate lol.. right after his combine the debate began.. media and def people on these boards.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
which one made you think that lol? or just all of them in general?

the exos numbers look like rubbish lol but i havent seen anything out of the pro days yet for any of the guys
I seen stokes 40 time and it just made me remember.. players 40 times are alot lower during their pro days and its always been like that lol. Idk if the yards arent accurate or what but i wont be surprised if we see a lot of 4.2s

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I seen stokes 40 time and it just made me remember.. players 40 times are alot lower during their pro days and its always been like that lol. Idk if the yards arent accurate or what but i wont be surprised if we see a lot of 4.2s

for what it's worth the NFL sent out guidelines to pro days etc. to try and get them to normalise with each other (so at least even if we dont trust the times themselves we can hopefully still compare them with each other in the 2021 class)

but to be fair to eric stokes - he was a legit track athlete - a 4.2 was not out of the question with him at all - doesnt mean he plays that fast on film (but also doesnt mean he didnt actually run that fast) - i think his teammate Tyson Campbell plays faster on tape but probably will run a slower 40...

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
for what it's worth the NFL sent out guidelines to pro days etc. to try and get them to normalise with each other (so at least even if we dont trust the times themselves we can hopefully still compare them with each other in the 2021 class)

but to be fair to eric stokes - he was a legit track athlete - a 4.2 was not out of the question with him at all - doesnt mean he plays that fast on film (but also doesnt mean he didnt actually run that fast) - i think his teammate Tyson Campbell plays faster on tape but probably will run a slower 40...
Stokes is very fast but doubt he runs a 4.28.. combine time, it likely wouldve been high 4.3 or 4.40.. i only say this because ive seen it first hand and if you go back, guys almost always run faster during pro day

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Stokes is very fast but doubt he runs a 4.28.. combine time, it likely wouldve been high 4.3 or 4.40.. i only say this because ive seen it first hand and if you go back, guys almost always run faster during pro day

i get that - but they've all been asked to use laser times and use the same laser tech the combine uses - you can probably still take some of them with a pinch of salt but it's not like we're talking about hand timed 40s like we see at some pro days in the past...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
some draft related notes from EDC's presser that i thought were interesting in that they mesh well with what we're gleaning from elsewhere too:

• WR, OL (first 3/4 rounds before thinning), CB, OLB all strong positions this draft
  • TE, RB looking sparse (lucky we got Dobbins last year)
  • Thinks there’s similar depth to the class overall (total prospects) as 2020 - look for guys with a chance to start all the way possibly down to the 5th round
  • They’ve got around 200 players ranked on their board right now (no idea if that means all 200 are draftable or whatever)... for what it's worth last year I had 205 players with draftable grades (which feels like more than usual)... this year i'm already up to 156 draftable players and still a ways to go
  • but if they see it as similar to last year in terms of depth then you have to expect they want as many picks as possible because there were good players going in rounds 4 and 5 in 2020 and there's a reason we traded back in to get Proche too
  • As always EDC said he's hoping we'll add more picks

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
some draft related notes from EDC's presser that i thought were interesting in that they mesh well with what we're gleaning from elsewhere too:

• WR, OL (first 3/4 rounds before thinning), CB, OLB all strong positions this draft
  • TE, RB looking sparse (lucky we got Dobbins last year)
  • Thinks there’s similar depth to the class overall (total prospects) as 2020 - look for guys with a chance to start all the way possibly down to the 5th round
  • They’ve got around 200 players ranked on their board right now (no idea if that means all 200 are draftable or whatever)... for what it's worth last year I had 205 players with draftable grades (which feels like more than usual)... this year i'm already up to 156 draftable players and still a ways to go
  • but if they see it as similar to last year in terms of depth then you have to expect they want as many picks as possible because there were good players going in rounds 4 and 5 in 2020 and there's a reason we traded back in to get Proche too
  • As always EDC said he's hoping we'll add more picks
Whats the most you think we can get for brown?

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
I was kinda hoping we'd trade OBJ to the Jaguars for 33 and 46 picks, but now that they've tagged Cam Robinson I guess that's not going to happen...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
listening to DJ's media call and surprised to hear (given EDC's comments about using GPS data on players this year in lieu of the combine) that not all the teams in the league even have all the GPS data for all the conferences

got to think that the more prevalent that GPS tracking data gets that the 40 times (while flashy and fun) become less and less important with each year that goes by