• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 General Draft Thoughts

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So tell me something, every year we go through this with certain quarterbacks. To quote Ryan Clark... "This is always the season it seems we have to answer a ton of questions about certain players, about certain quarterbacks. We had the questions about Lamar Jackson, questions about Cam Newton, and now those questions seem to be about Justin Fields here."

Why is this the narrative and we seemingly never get these same questions about say Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Zach Wilson, etc.

i have way more questions about every other quarterback in the draft (including trevor lawrence) than i do about justin fields - with fields it's about consistency (and explaining the blip towards the end of the 2020 season where he had 2-3 poor games in a row for no obvious reason), and his aggression at times with his reads when he's able to take more time in the pocket than he'll have in the NFL (but i'd much rather dial back a QB's aggression that tell a QB to take on the difficult throws and reads) - he also has the single best game of tape vs all of the other QB prospects in this class - the 2020 CFB semi-final vs Clemson where he put trevor lawrence and that offence to shame

with trevor lawrence i have questions about his ability to read zone coverage, i have questions about his ability to deal with pressure and i have questions about his ability to actually run an nfl-style offence with nfl style reads - so much of his production came on YAC type throws or RPO stuff

with zach wilson i have questions about his level of play against better competition in 2019, i have some questions about his frame

with Lance i love the amount of stuff he had to do mentally pre-snap but i have some concerns about his accuracy (especially on longer/deeper throws), i've got questions about his level of competition, i have questions about his inconsistent mechanics, i have questions about his anticipation and i have some questions about his pocket presence more generally

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Good question. I hope Fields goes to either the Falcons or Panthers. It'll make it MUCH easier for me to root for his success.

im gonna be rooting for him wherever he goes (unless he somehow ends up in the division) - i really hope he pulls a lamar and makes all these weirdos eat their words again - i really liked him at Ohio State, i like the way he plays the game, i like how positive and aggressive he is with the ball and i love the way he throws it - and i really hope a team builds around him because i think he could genuinely be special

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Im lowkey rooting for the Jets to nail it. Only because I want Joe D making us look good
My dream scenario that we play them in the playoffs (we win of course) and at some point in the game, Lamar throws a TD after one of our receivers burns their Lamar Jackson. Nobel Peace Prize contender right there.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
im gonna be rooting for him wherever he goes (unless he somehow ends up in the division) - i really hope he pulls a lamar and makes all these weirdos eat their words again - i really liked him at Ohio State, i like the way he plays the game, i like how positive and aggressive he is with the ball and i love the way he throws it - and i really hope a team builds around him because i think he could genuinely be special
Likewise. He tore Clemson a new one AFTER getting that hit. I'm sorry, that speaks a lot about his mental fortitude. Could he have played better in the Championship Game? Sure, but that defense did him no favors whatsoever. DeVonta Smith made them boys look like children.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Likewise. He tore Clemson a new one AFTER getting that hit. I'm sorry, that speaks a lot about his mental fortitude. Could he have played better in the Championship Game? Sure, but that defense did him no favors whatsoever. DeVonta Smith made them boys look like children.

If all had gone right for him he should have beaten Clemson in 2019 too but they couldn’t finish in the redzone early in that game - bama’s weapons and coaching is just so superior to everyone else in college that it literally took possibly the greatest team in college history to knock them out of the cfb playoffs (2019 LSU)

what was most telling about fields against Clemson this year was that he had the DC visibly tearing his hair out live during the game - and no matter what they threw at him, he beat it

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
If all had gone right for him he should have beaten Clemson in 2019 too but they couldn’t finish in the redzone early in that game - bama’s weapons and coaching is just so superior to everyone else in college that it literally took possibly the greatest team in college history to knock them out of the cfb playoffs (2019 LSU)

what was most telling about fields against Clemson this year was that he had the DC visibly tearing his hair out live during the game - and no matter what they threw at him, he beat it
I wish we could see that lsu team vs the gators team or one of those miami teams... man

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Zaven Collins is exactly the type of player we will accept trade offers to move back and pass on.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Zaven Collins is exactly the type of player we will accept trade offers to move back and pass on.

This is the way.

brb, let me find out who’s a comparison to Kamalei Correa. Our next stud OLB.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I will understand why, but damn I'd be disappointed to pass on Collins. I really think he would be a stud in our defense.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Player A: Cheats on 40 time
Everyone Else: Copies Player A's 40 time.

Either there is some messed up timers or this truly is the fastest Draft Class ever.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

Either there is some messed up timers or this truly is the fastest Draft Class ever.

it is worth pointing out that every year, most new classes become the fastest draft class ever
Give it time. We'll eventually see a draft class as fast as this gentleman right here.

latest

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

Its just pro day lol.. pro day 40s have alwYs been like this. It isnt timed correctly ever.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Every mock generator I do has me either: taking a stud defender every pick until the 5th round, or reaching for an offensive player.

I kinda hate this draft class lol. The OL and edge class align with us fairly well, but that’s it. The WR value doesn’t seem like it’s gonna be there for us really anywhere.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Every mock generator I do has me either: taking a stud defender every pick until the 5th round, or reaching for an offensive player.

I kinda hate this draft class lol. The OL and edge class align with us fairly well, but that’s it. The WR value doesn’t seem like it’s gonna be there for us really anywhere.

that's what im finding too - all the guys i like at each pick are mostly gone when we pick - in fact one of the recent ones i did i ended up trading down twice and managing to pick 5 times on day 2 and still ended up with 3 OL, 2 DBs and no edges or WRs until day 3...

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Unless we get more draft picks it could be best not to pick a receiver.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i have way more questions about every other quarterback in the draft (including trevor lawrence) than i do about justin fields - with fields it's about consistency (and explaining the blip towards the end of the 2020 season where he had 2-3 poor games in a row for no obvious reason), and his aggression at times with his reads when he's able to take more time in the pocket than he'll have in the NFL (but i'd much rather dial back a QB's aggression that tell a QB to take on the difficult throws and reads) - he also has the single best game of tape vs all of the other QB prospects in this class - the 2020 CFB semi-final vs Clemson where he put trevor lawrence and that offence to shame

with trevor lawrence i have questions about his ability to read zone coverage, i have questions about his ability to deal with pressure and i have questions about his ability to actually run an nfl-style offence with nfl style reads - so much of his production came on YAC type throws or RPO stuff

with zach wilson i have questions about his level of play against better competition in 2019, i have some questions about his frame

with Lance i love the amount of stuff he had to do mentally pre-snap but i have some concerns about his accuracy (especially on longer/deeper throws), i've got questions about his level of competition, i have questions about his inconsistent mechanics, i have questions about his anticipation and i have some questions about his pocket presence more generally
and I think Mac Jones is the most pro ready of any of the QBs in this draft class and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up the best QB from this draft class for many of the reasons you just stated.