• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 General Draft Thoughts

rossihunter2

Staff Member
and I think Mac Jones is the most pro ready of any of the QBs in this draft class and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up the best QB from this draft class for many of the reasons you just stated.

i would be surprised - he's really good in a lot of respects but ive got tons of questions about his athleticism to survive if not in the absolute ideal situation behind a dominant OL and his arm strength if he ever has to be in an offence that forces him to consistently make throws off platform

i have questions about how quickly he gets to his 2nd read

i think pro-ready is different to what it meant 10 years ago in terms of QBs - you have to be athletic to survive in the NFL because offences struggle to stay on schedule because of the deficit in OL talent vs DL talent right now - otherwise you have to be transcendent because no matter how complex your college offence was, the defences you were facing were nothing like NFL defences... so you either have to sit while you learn, struggle, or cope via your athleticism while you develop those other skills

and in terms of which QBs were asked to do the most in terms of pro-style type stuff this is how i'd rank the top 5 purely in terms of that side of things:

Justin Fields (the reads and offence and concepts he was asked to run)
Trey Lance (the amount of stuff with protections and pre-snap he was asked to do)
Mac Jones (Nfl concepts and reads but with insane supporting talent)
Trevor Lawrence
Zach Wilson

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i would be surprised - he's really good in a lot of respects but ive got tons of questions about his athleticism to survive if not in the absolute ideal situation behind a dominant OL and his arm strength if he ever has to be in an offence that forces him to consistently make throws off platform

i have questions about how quickly he gets to his 2nd read

i think pro-ready is different to what it meant 10 years ago in terms of QBs - you have to be athletic to survive in the NFL because offences struggle to stay on schedule because of the deficit in OL talent vs DL talent right now - otherwise you have to be transcendent because no matter how complex your college offence was, the defences you were facing were nothing like NFL defences... so you either have to sit while you learn, struggle, or cope via your athleticism while you develop those other skills

and in terms of which QBs were asked to do the most in terms of pro-style type stuff this is how i'd rank the top 5 purely in terms of that side of things:

Justin Fields (the reads and offence and concepts he was asked to run)
Trey Lance (the amount of stuff with protections and pre-snap he was asked to do)
Mac Jones (Nfl concepts and reads but with insane supporting talent)
Trevor Lawrence
Zach Wilson
I wouldn't be surprised if this was the guy Kyle Shanahan traded up for. It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I wouldn't be surprised if this was the guy Kyle Shanahan traded up for. It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

it would surprise me a ton - because they dont need to trade up a month before the draft go get mac jones... trey lance makes a ton of sense to me (a lot of what they did at NDSU looks a lot like the types of things shanahan likes to do)

i hope it's fields, but wilson or lance make sense to me too - mac jones would be a mistake to me at 3 - why are you trading 3 first round picks for mac jones?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
it would surprise me a ton - because they dont need to trade up a month before the draft go get mac jones... trey lance makes a ton of sense to me (a lot of what they did at NDSU looks a lot like the types of things shanahan likes to do)

i hope it's fields, but wilson or lance make sense to me too - mac jones would be a mistake to me at 3 - why are you trading 3 first round picks for mac jones?
Mac Jones screams Kyle Shanahan type QB and no RG3 wasn't his choice, that was Snyder and I believe they did feel they had to trade up for him, with the Rumors that the Pats wanted him also. Maybe they didn't, but it's a QB and they were willing to do so. I think it's a mistake to give up that much though

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Mac Jones screams Kyle Shanahan type QB and no RG3 wasn't his choice, that was Snyder and I believe they did feel they had to trade up for him, with the Rumors that the Pats wanted him also. Maybe they didn't, but it's a QB and they were willing to do so. I think it's a mistake to give up that much though

i just dont think that just because shanahan's only had those "system" QBs run his offence that those are the guys he 100% wants to run his offence - i get it, he loves kirk cousins, went to a superbowl with matt ryan and jimmy G and over-drafted CJ Beathard but that doesn't mean that he's trading 3 1st round picks for another version of that same guy

i will be shocked if it's not Lance or Fields at 3

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i just dont think that just because shanahan's only had those "system" QBs run his offence that those are the guys he 100% wants to run his offence - i get it, he loves kirk cousins, went to a superbowl with matt ryan and jimmy G and over-drafted CJ Beathard but that doesn't mean that he's trading 3 1st round picks for another version of that same guy

i will be shocked if it's not Lance or Fields at 3
and he tried to trade for Cousins back in 2017. Thought for sure he was gong to get him. That being said, I agree it doesn't mean he is going to go that route, however if he feels he is THAT good, it wouldn't surprise me in the least. I also don't feel he is being viewed as a system QB as much as fans may think he is. It very possibly could be lance, but I'm not a fan of Fields.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
and he tried to trade for Cousins back in 2017. Thought for sure he was gong to get him. That being said, I agree it doesn't mean he is going to go that route, however if he feels he is THAT good, it wouldn't surprise me in the least. I also don't feel he is being viewed as a system QB as much as fans may think he is. It very possibly could be lance, but I'm not a fan of Fields.

what dont you like about fields?

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just did one of those simulators for the draft.
Screenshot_20210403-172027.png

I would be thrilled with this outcome.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I just did one of those simulators for the draft. View attachment 2623
I would be thrilled with this outcome.

idk how i feel about the first 3 picks but i love love love love the last 4 lol - odeyingbo has the potential to be somewhat of a modern day mix between calais campbell and pernell mcphee for this defence, wiggins has awesome athleticism and explosion and has a ton of upside as a box safety (not a strong safety in the sense that he can't cover but despite his athleticism not the rangiest guy), jonathan adams has a lot of things to his game that i like a lot and especially a penchant for the spectacular catch on the outside and he's got some foot quickness that makes him really intriguing, camryn bynum's a rare high floor low ceiling corner who looks really comfortable in press but you probably don't want to leave him on an island vs speed

i dont dislike the first 3 prospects but for me they're going a round earlier than i'd hope to get them here

LSURavenFan

Veteran
Would Caleb Farley be worth taking if he falls?

Obviously, CB isn't a need, but in a year the Ravens might be without Peters and Jimmy.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Obviously, CB isn't a need, but in a year the Ravens might be without Peters and Jimmy.

definitely would be worth a look - still fairly new to the position but outstanding athleticism and amazing movement skills and awesome length and size generally - mirrors well off the line but doesn't get particularly physical in press - but he's not particularly interested in playing the run or being physical generally and i doubt that would improve after a back surgery...

if the ravens liked him enough to take him at 27 then i'd definitely be excited about it but i don't necessarily love the fit even if i do love the talent

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I haven't watched much tape this draft season but I've been a big Fields fan since qb1 season two. I know this sounds stupid to base your opinion on this, but this series was perfect to get an insight and understand their personality better. I re-visited my past qb evaluations and one aspect or variable i didn't respect enough was character and drive to succeed, apart from football iq&knowledge (which you can't really evaluate as a fan). Fields also beat out Lawrence in elite 11.

With Mac Jones you know exactly what you're getting - but if you have a top 3 or even 5 pick you should pick the qb who can take you to a sb even without a loaded roster.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I haven't watched much tape this draft season but I've been a big Fields fan since qb1 season two. I know this sounds stupid to base your opinion on this, but this series was perfect to get an insight and understand their personality better. I re-visited my past qb evaluations and one aspect or variable i didn't respect enough was character and drive to succeed, apart from football iq&knowledge (which you can't really evaluate as a fan). Fields also beat out Lawrence in elite 11.

With Mac Jones you know exactly what you're getting - but if you have a top 3 or even 5 pick you should pick the qb who can take you to a sb even without a loaded roster.

obviously misses suck at the QB position - but i'd much rather shoot for the moon and maybe get the guy who can take me to the superbowl and be a high-end talent than a potentially safer but much lower ceiling guy (although arguable whether he's actually safer)

philosophically i think teams should be taking far more shots at high ceiling guys early at the QB position because while a miss sucks, a hit sets up your franchise for a decade+

whereas you take the lower ceiling but "safer" guy and you maybe spend that decade constantly asking yourself questions about your guy...

justin herbert's a great example from 2020 (tbh jordan love probably is too)

Reactions: cdp

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

personally ive been higher on jaycee horn since back when the media had him as a fringe first and farley a top ten lock

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I definitely agree with this, just think that's who Kyle wants.