• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 General Draft Thoughts

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This would be my latest mock

1. Jaguars- Trevor Lawrence
2. Jets- Zach Wilson
3. 49ers- Trey Lance
4. Falcons- Kyle Pitts
5. Bengals- Ja'Marr Chase
6. Dolphins- Jaylen Waddle
7. Lions- Justin Fields
8. Panthers- Penei Sewell
9. Broncos-Micah Parsons
10. Cowboys- Patrick Surtain II
11. Giants- Zaven Collins
12. Eagles- Jaycee Horn
13. Chargers- Rashawn Slater
14. Vikings- Alijah Vera-Tucker
15. Patriots- DeVante Smith
16. Cardinals- Caleb Farley
17. Raiders- Jaelan Phillips
18. Dolphins- Kwity Paye
19. Washington- Christian Darrisaw
20. Bears- Mac Jones
21. Colts-Greg Newsome II
22. Titans- Rashod Bateman
23. Jets- Azeez Ojulari
24. Steelers- Teven Jenkins
25. Jaguars- Terrace Marshall Jr
26. Browns- Christian Barmore

What would you do in this scenario?

doing this on my phone so don’t have my board with me but I think off the top of my head my top 3/4 remaining here would be Creed Humphrey, Landon Dickerson, Elijah Moore and JOK - and I think we’d try and trade out of that slot

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
1F0BFC31-B2C9-4039-B1A1-54FF2E6EDA86.png

I keep thinking I have my ideal draft, then I have a better one. Great value at every pick, a draft where the BPA every time I pick was a huge need, the only place where BPA was arguable was at 31 with tryon, and with forsythe, but both definitely in the mix for BPA at their spots

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
View attachment 2645
I keep thinking I have my ideal draft, then I have a better one. Great value at every pick, a draft where the BPA every time I pick was a huge need, the only place where BPA was arguable was at 31 with tryon, and with forsythe, but both definitely in the mix for BPA at their spots

Are you factoring in any possible trades? I can’t imagine we wait that long to take a WR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
@LSURavenFan
Thought about it a bit. I think you're mock is accurate. very, very unlikely that Phillips,Jenkins, Collins, and Ojulari are around. Pretty good odds the receivers are gone as well. seems the days of massive reaches that allow players like these to fall in our laps are long gone.

We'll need a RB to go and perhaps another QB. Also there is a chance the LB out of Notre dame could be taken....perhaps the safety out of TCU in order for someone of these to slip through.

In the event that your mock is on point, I'm going Creed Humphrey and Joe Tryon. Two guys being massively slept on to my mind.

Simba

Staff Member
So just looking down the depth chart, I feel like the only two positions we probably won't hit are QB and ILB this year. Obviously, WR, OL, and OLB are the major needs and we could hit each of those twice if we wanted. S remains kind of that unheralded need but isn't totally necessary. RB, TE, DL, and CB all look decently strong on our depth chart now, but would never count out adding those as depth pieces.

LSURavenFan

Veteran
@LSURavenFan
Thought about it a bit. I think you're mock is accurate. very, very unlikely that Phillips,Jenkins, Collins, and Ojulari are around. Pretty good odds the receivers are gone as well. seems the days of massive reaches that allow players like these to fall in our laps are long gone.

We'll need a RB to go and perhaps another QB. Also there is a chance the LB out of Notre dame could be taken....perhaps the safety out of TCU in order for someone of these to slip through.

In the event that your mock is on point, I'm going Creed Humphrey and Joe Tryon. Two guys being massively slept on to my mind.

Appreciate the reply!

I kinda went worst case scenario in that mock, with most the guys we on the board like being gone.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
So just looking down the depth chart, I feel like the only two positions we probably won't hit are QB and ILB this year. Obviously, WR, OL, and OLB are the major needs and we could hit each of those twice if we wanted. S remains kind of that unheralded need but isn't totally necessary. RB, TE, DL, and CB all look decently strong on our depth chart now, but would never count out adding those as depth pieces.
I actually think DL is an underrated need. Wolfe and Campbell aren't exactly in their prime. However, this draft isn't great great at that position. There's Dayo who could potentially be a really good 3-4 DE if he fills out his frame.

Simba

Staff Member
I actually think DL is an underrated need. Wolfe and Campbell aren't exactly in their prime. However, this draft isn't great great at that position. There's Dayo who could potentially be a really good 3-4 DE if he fills out his frame.

That's the thing with DL... it's such a weak class. We'll absolutely have to remake that unit at some point, but don't think this is the year. If you're swinging at DL, I'd say it's much more likely to be a day 3 swing for a backup type than anything else.

Simba

Staff Member
Not that it was ever surprising, but I do think the OT class in that late round 1, early day 2 range really lines up to our needs. I'll preface that I have different opinions on basically all of these players, but Teven Jenkins, Sam Cosmi, Alex Leatherwood, etc. all kind of fit the mold for what we need. In an ideal world, they take the RT job and seize it. But if they sign Villanueva and decide that they want the best 5 on the field, I feel like pretty much all of these guys could be flexible enough to move inside for a year and develop as the RT next year.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Tryon could be a steal based on the fact that he sat out 2020. He might have blown the doors off.
Great lateral agility, get off is nice, has length, has a legit inside move and legit power. Starting with those three things, I think you have a fit.
His play recognition is somewhat remedial but he'll coach up. More than a few examples of him dropping hook curl and man match to the flat.

I think he fits with one of our first rounders.

Simba

Staff Member
Tryon could be a steal based on the fact that he sat out 2020. He might have blown the doors off.
Great lateral agility, get off is nice, has length, has a legit inside move and legit power. Starting with those three things, I think you have a fit.
His play recognition is somewhat remedial but he'll coach up. More than a few examples of him dropping hook curl and man match to the flat.

I think he fits with one of our first rounders.

He's a Ravens OLB through and through. Definitely needs some work and coaching up, but these are typically the guys the Ravens love. Would think the analytics-based approach we've used in recent years would lean strongly to a guy like Tryon too. Checks all of the physical boxes. Now obviously there are some concerns with his game but I just can't get over how much he feels like a Ravens pick.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's a Ravens OLB through and through. Definitely needs some work and coaching up, but these are typically the guys the Ravens love. Would think the analytics-based approach we've used in recent years would lean strongly to a guy like Tryon too. Checks all of the physical boxes. Now obviously there are some concerns with his game but I just can't get over how much he feels like a Ravens pick.
Im watching him again and wanting to present another vid on him and something is striking me. It is almost a rule of thumb in at least one of the games I am watching, for Washington to rush 3; Tryon being one of them.
1)That takes all kinds off effort to get there if coaches are asking you to win against double teams
2) That won't be the case here. He'll get 1 on 1's, sometimes with a 5th being sent

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Are you factoring in any possible trades? I can’t imagine we wait that long to take a WR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nah I’m not paying for premium lol. And there just was never a point where a wr felt like a good pick. I think one of our first 2 picks absolutely has to be edge, and then the other pick we can either lock in on a wr, or go BPA luxury type pick ie. jk dobbins. I just like barmore better than any player that was there, and there wasn’t shit for wr after that

Corvus Purpura

Practice Squad
31 seems to me to be an ideal pick to trade down with a team coming up to get a QB before Tampa has the chance to draft a future QB for themselves.

But emotionally, I just want us to throw both firsts plus future pick(s) to move up for Pitts. (I know that won't happen.)

Simba

Staff Member
31 seems to me to be an ideal pick to trade down with a team coming up to get a QB before Tampa has the chance to draft a future QB for themselves.

But emotionally, I just want us to throw both firsts plus future pick(s) to move up for Pitts. (I know that won't happen.)

The thing is, what QB are teams going to come up and get? Kellen Mond? Davis Mills? Think they both have potential but I'd be surprised if anyone drafts them in round 1. I hope I'm surprised though.

Simba

Staff Member
Speaking of the QB thing, the whole contradicting aspect of Mac Jones is so interesting to me. The same people that are saying that the 49ers are picking him at 3 are the same people saying that Jones could have a long fall if they don't pick him. If that's the case, why did they give up all of that capital to move up? It makes no sense.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

Naw i dnt see us doing that.. we have too many needs to trade up for anyone imo. We wanted more picks so i doubt we give up our two first rnders..

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I have a problem guys, I can’t stop making mocks, and they keep getting better

405FEDE4-88FA-4704-821C-1EFD2EDB641E.png

I don’t care how impossible it is, just let me have this