• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 General Draft Thoughts

LSURavenFan

Veteran
I have a problem guys, I can’t stop making mocks, and they keep getting better

View attachment 2646
I don’t care how impossible it is, just let me have this

It's fun to do a bunch of TDN mocks and then be able to look back and see how you did.

I did the same as you last year, I did a bunch and the best I did was I had Queen, Madubuike and Duvernay going to the Ravens. I almost had Dobbins but I went Jonathan Taylor instead. Not to pat myself on the back too much though because when you do several like I did, you're bound to get a few right haha

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I hope we don't trade down. If we do well on both picks that's two high end starters on rookie deals for five years. 2nd round doesn't give you that fifth year option.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I hope we don't trade down. If we do well on both picks that's two high end starters on rookie deals for five years. 2nd round doesn't give you that fifth year option.
I hope we trade down with at least one of our 1sts and I would hate to see us moving up in the 1st.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So just looking down the depth chart, I feel like the only two positions we probably won't hit are QB and ILB this year. Obviously, WR, OL, and OLB are the major needs and we could hit each of those twice if we wanted. S remains kind of that unheralded need but isn't totally necessary. RB, TE, DL, and CB all look decently strong on our depth chart now, but would never count out adding those as depth pieces.

as much as i wouldnt want it in positional terms - i must say im not entirely sold on the LB corps being finished especially with the depth of talent in coverage that the LB class has this year - not a ton of rounded prospects but a lot of guys who're legitimately good cover guys at LB

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not that it was ever surprising, but I do think the OT class in that late round 1, early day 2 range really lines up to our needs. I'll preface that I have different opinions on basically all of these players, but Teven Jenkins, Sam Cosmi, Alex Leatherwood, etc. all kind of fit the mold for what we need. In an ideal world, they take the RT job and seize it. But if they sign Villanueva and decide that they want the best 5 on the field, I feel like pretty much all of these guys could be flexible enough to move inside for a year and develop as the RT next year.

i wonder if that's why the chiefs shifted the capital too - a lot of the guys in range at the end of the 1st project more as RTs rather than LTs -for the ravens that's an ideal situation but for lots of other teams (including the chiefs) that's probably less ideal

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Speaking of the QB thing, the whole contradicting aspect of Mac Jones is so interesting to me. The same people that are saying that the 49ers are picking him at 3 are the same people saying that Jones could have a long fall if they don't pick him. If that's the case, why did they give up all of that capital to move up? It makes no sense.

this. 1000 times this... if jones really is their guy, then why did they spend 2 future 1st round picks to go up to get him when he's likely available when they were originally picking (or at least close)

and idk how anyone could see mac jones as being better than fields or a better fit than lance...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Im watching him again and wanting to present another vid on him and something is striking me. It is almost a rule of thumb in at least one of the games I am watching, for Washington to rush 3; Tryon being one of them.
1)That takes all kinds off effort to get there if coaches are asking you to win against double teams
2) That won't be the case here. He'll get 1 on 1's, sometimes with a 5th being sent

i hate that washington defense... that system constantly sends 3 man rushes and 8 in coverage... there's some schematic value to that (especially in college) but it makes it very hard to evaluate guys - this year tryon and onwuzurike

Simba

Staff Member
as much as i wouldnt want it in positional terms - i must say im not entirely sold on the LB corps being finished especially with the depth of talent in coverage that the LB class has this year - not a ton of rounded prospects but a lot of guys who're legitimately good cover guys at LB

Just hard to see where another ILB fits. Two early round picks last year in Queen and Harrison. Two vets resigned in Fort and Board. Two STer types in Welch and Alaka.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just hard to see where another ILB fits. Two early round picks last year in Queen and Harrison. Two vets resigned in Fort and Board. Two STer types in Welch and Alaka.

oh i agree - but i think this is probably a better LB class (at least in terms of coverage) than last year's - im very much not advocating for actually drafting one but i thought it'd be worth pointing out that there are a few

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Screenshot_20210424-184921.png

I couldn't get a wr early, but man, pairing Paye and Oweh would be amazing. Also, as far as developmental wrs go, this would be a damn good group to bring in.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
idk i feel like PFF and youtube guys are the only ones im seeing with rousseau in the first round
I don't take PFF seriously when referring to college scouting, especially the mock, but it is a good site to go to to find a difference of opinion. Many times I'll find guys on here and go back to the tape to evaluate them.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
There's a small part of me that kinda wants to see EDC decide to just go all in on improving the front 7. Ossai or Oweh in the 1st, Perkins or Turner in the 2nd, Dayo somewhere later on, and grab a couple small school pass rushers in the mid rounds. Just EDC going, "We don't need to score many points if we just kill the opposing QB."
why do you like Oweh? I just don't see it on tape. Yes sacks aren't the be all end all, but damn no sacks at all.

Please tell me why you like him and this refers to anyone who likes Oweh for that matter.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
it's fine, the steelers at 24 can take another 4th round DB...

but for real - the pats are probably too high to do anything super funky, and you're right the seahawks not being there is a missed opportunity lol, same with the texans (if they ever had a 1st round pick lol)

so it's on the raiders mostly

im just hoping we see 5+Qbs, 4+LBs and maybe even a couple of RBs go before we pick - oh and i really hope rousseau goes early too...
maybe the Steelers can draft a WR for us and we will draft a CB for them

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i love barmore as a pass rusher - not so much in the running game (but he's got potential) - would love him if we could get him after a trade down
onwuzurike im a little lower on than others but still like him towards the end of round 2
dayiyon nixon's more what id be looking for earlier in round 2 than onwuzurike
i love alim mcneil - if he wasnt a nose tackle only prospect he'd be way higher on my board - he's definitely a guy we should be interested in if he slips to the back end of the 3rd round

not as high on togiai but still like him

marvin wilson on day 3 also would be nice

im very with you on ossai - he's so stiff and still pretty raw on the edge - i'd love him in the 3rd round but idk that id be that sold before then
you know the Ravens won't draft Barmore due to the running game issues. However some other team may want him and trade up with him if he were available at our pick.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I high key want JOK if he appears to be the BPA at 31 or after a trade back. I so badly wanna see him in a wink defense with queen and bowser

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I love Elijah Moore but I also don’t imagine we have much interest.

although I’ll say I think Eric decosta is more trendy than Ozzie was, ole miss WRs are in fashion right now and Eric likes to ride the wave a bit, LSU LB, OSU RB, Oklahoma skill players, and then there’s always the fact that Eric is brilliant at smoke and subterfuge leading up to the draft, the fact that there’s no links of the ravens to Moore could be exactly what the FO inrends.
Ole Miss has a different OC than when DK and AJ Moore came out a couple years ago. That being said, they still are in vogue and I'm not jaded anymore. I came around big time on DK and drafted him in the 1st round in the FM that year and initially thought AJ Brown would be a big slot and by draft weekend it was Hollywood, AJ and DK that were my top 3 choices in no particular order.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This would be my latest mock

1. Jaguars- Trevor Lawrence
2. Jets- Zach Wilson
3. 49ers- Trey Lance
4. Falcons- Kyle Pitts
5. Bengals- Ja'Marr Chase
6. Dolphins- Jaylen Waddle
7. Lions- Justin Fields
8. Panthers- Penei Sewell
9. Broncos-Micah Parsons
10. Cowboys- Patrick Surtain II
11. Giants- Zaven Collins
12. Eagles- Jaycee Horn
13. Chargers- Rashawn Slater
14. Vikings- Alijah Vera-Tucker
15. Patriots- DeVante Smith
16. Cardinals- Caleb Farley
17. Raiders- Jaelan Phillips
18. Dolphins- Kwity Paye
19. Washington- Christian Darrisaw
20. Bears- Mac Jones
21. Colts-Greg Newsome II
22. Titans- Rashod Bateman
23. Jets- Azeez Ojulari
24. Steelers- Teven Jenkins
25. Jaguars- Terrace Marshall Jr
26. Browns- Christian Barmore

What would you do in this scenario?
I'd take Creed Humphrey at pick 27 and trade back with 31. If we can't trade back take JOK.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
why do you like Oweh? I just don't see it on tape. Yes sacks aren't the be all end all, but damn no sacks at all.

Please tell me why you like him and this refers to anyone who likes Oweh for that matter.
To me he's raw, but is a raw athlete. Great explosion, solid bend, a lot more strength than you'd expect at his size, and has a great motor.

He really hasn't played much football (two years high school, twenty total in college) so it feels like what we've seen is only the beginning of what he can become.

With good coaching, and a little time to develop he can be a ten plus sack a year type player.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i hate that washington defense... that system constantly sends 3 man rushes and 8 in coverage... there's some schematic value to that (especially in college) but it makes it very hard to evaluate guys - this year tryon and onwuzurike
Regarding WFT, I could see them drafting JOK. He fits perfectly in their scheme.