• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Woodrum

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've watched a little more tape on Woodrum and this is how he strikes me so far ;
First, I'm convinced he could have been a starter at a major college but was somehow missed or undervalued by scouts from major programs.

1) Is an above average ball handler right now as a pro. Pulls off very convincing and not simply perfunctory ball fakes.
2) Is quite comfortable rolling to his right or to his left and makes accurate throws in either scenario.
3) throws with anticipation. Routinely meets guys with a throw, released before the receiver turns, even while under duress.
4) accurate and throws with touch.
5) comfortable in the pocket. Isn't panicky and shows better than average athleticism
6) appears, from recent interviews along with testimonials to be a leader. Stays late and studies hard. Guys like him and like playing with him
(This is a trait I most certainly would like our next quarterback to possess. I'd like to think our quarterback lives and breathes football.)
7) pretty good size for position.
Some negatives;

Woodrum appears to have good enough arm strength but I haven't found a lot of deep throws and feel incomplete in my assessment as a result.
He, so far in preseason has shown himself to be a little loose with the football and could clean that up.
His release is a bit of a wind up which could be problematic.

I need to watch more, naturally but Woodrum strikes me as a guy who can play in the league. Reminds me a little of Marc Bulger.

Some of this boils down to Mallett. Woodrum is a bit of a roll of the dice but the fact that Mallet is not is a problem. We already know what to expect and this is not a good thing in his case.

Yes, I'm way ahead of myself. I like the guy, (Woodrum). I'll enjoy it for as long as it lasts but I'm hoping he earns the back up spot.

K-Dog

MVP
The problem is, the Ravens likly won't keep three QB's unless Joe's back issues linger.

No way Woodrum makes it through waivers.

Sign him or he is gone.

( is it bad I hope Mallette gets hurt? )
I mean I don't *really * but....

CharmCityChampions

Practice Squad
I would feel more comfortable with Woodrum as our backup than Mallet. Mallet has never impressed me as a QB. Woodrum just goes out there and looks comfortable and looks like he knows what to do

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The problem is, the Ravens likly won't keep three QB's unless Joe's back issues linger.

Sign him or he is gone.

I actually do believe he would make it through waivers, but most likely he plucked from the practice squad.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor

Sign him or he is gone.

If Mallet performs in preseason game three as he did the two prior he shouldn't be our back up. I mean he can't be.

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
I would like to see Woodrum get a quarter with the starters against Buffalo's starters so we get a better evaluation of him. I understand what many say about Mallett being the favorite but he has not performed well so far. I hope Woodrum gets a fair shot.

K-Dog

MVP
If Mallet performs in preseason game three as he did the two prior he shouldn't be our back up. I mean he can't be.

I think there are significant financial implications if we release Mallette.
Not that that stuff matters, but it most certainly does.

Yeah I would love to see Woodrum with the 1's. I am close to convinced he is better than Mallette, but until he runs with the starters (as much as you can in pre season) it will continue to be apples and oranges.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'd rather go with an unknown than a known loser.

Woodrum has NFL traits, he plays loose and fun and doesn't seem intimidated at all. He's been pinpoint accurate on what seems like every throw. He has shown excellent pocket presence as well, stepping up in gaps in the line to give himself a strong downhill release, he rolls out with great mechanics, the feet look clean and quick and he keeps his eyes and shoulders downfield with his arm ready to release.

He shows a lot of the prerequisites of a good NFL qb, whether or not he can make pro reads and diagnose starting defenses in a real game situation is a different story.

I never once bit on the preseason qb hype, I knew renner was good as gone, along with the rest of them, but I'm biting on this one. He's different, this isn't a guy leading a fluke heroic 4th quarter drive, this is a guy dominating consistently his entire time on the field and showing real pro traits. If we cut him I think we regret it, I think this kid may have a future and mallett is gonna shit the bed anytime we need him.

He reminds me a bit of Alex smith

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
Since the starters usually play a half in the third preseason game, I'd play Mallett one quarter and Woodrum the other. Give Woodrum his audition tape for other teams since we're not gonna give him a fair shot to compete.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
mallet would need to throw 5 interceptions for harbaugh to say publicly '' he needs to play a bit better''.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I want a head coach who is a straight shooter and not a contradictory and defensive persona. remember when they talked about Kaep a few months ago and harbs said

'' kaep is a great football player and there is no way he wont be without a team, his situation won't stop him from being on a team, he's a good guy and the idea that he's been blacklisted is ridiculous''

3 weeks ago

'' Theres a reason he hasn't been signed''

f-off harbs.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I'd rather go with an unknown than a known loser.

Woodrum has NFL traits, he plays loose and fun and doesn't seem intimidated at all. He's been pinpoint accurate on what seems like every throw. He has shown excellent pocket presence as well, stepping up in gaps in the line to give himself a strong downhill release, he rolls out with great mechanics, the feet look clean and quick and he keeps his eyes and shoulders downfield with his arm ready to release.

He shows a lot of the prerequisites of a good NFL qb, whether or not he can make pro reads and diagnose starting defenses in a real game situation is a different story.

I never once bit on the preseason qb hype, I knew renner was good as gone, along with the rest of them, but I'm biting on this one. He's different, this isn't a guy leading a fluke heroic 4th quarter drive, this is a guy dominating consistently his entire time on the field and showing real pro traits. If we cut him I think we regret it, I think this kid may have a future and mallett is gonna shit the bed anytime we need him.

He reminds me a bit of Alex smith
100% agree.
No, make that 200%. Mallett is crap QB, I have more touch than him and I only threw a football 6 times in my life. What's the worst that can happen if Woodrum suits up instead of Mallett?

Serrell Tuggs

Practice Squad
Give Woodrum his audition tape for other teams since we're not gonna give him a fair shot to compete.

I get that feeling, too. Even if Woodrum outplays Mallett with starters I don't think he'll take his place. It has never seemed like our coaches pay too much attention to preseason performances, and they're probably right not to.

BTW What has happened to Mallett this summer? Whenever he's played in a competitive game for us he's done pretty well. I was very comfortable with him as the back up until now. Now it's unthinkable.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Either way, any way, it's pre season where nothing means anything, pretty much. lol

I think if Mallet had not already shown that the NFL stage is not too big for him there would be a better chance Woodrum gets more of a shot. While I'd like to see it, don't think it happens unless Flacco starts the season on IR.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I get that feeling, too. Even if Woodrum outplays Mallett with starters I don't think he'll take his place. It has never seemed like our coaches pay too much attention to preseason performances, and they're probably right not to.

BTW What has happened to Mallett this summer? Whenever he's played in a competitive game for us he's done pretty well. I was very comfortable with him as the back up until now. Now it's unthinkable.
I believe it is because that was back when Flacco was healthy and Mallet played with the 2's against the 2's of other teams. Now that he is playing with the starters you start to see the talent of opposing defenses getting to him.

The Greek

Veteran
i would like to see what he can do with the starters and the whole 1st half before i can truly judge him. i still believe mallet is a better qb than he has shown under these circumstances. he will step up in a real game situation if called upon. getting the o-line healthy and in sync is my biggest fear at the moment.