• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Post-Game 3 Thread

The Raven

Veteran
Less confident in oline. Hurst struggled a bit against speed rushers, though he looked okay otherwise. Skura looked less bad. Jensen looked good as always but -- we ran a little bit more inside zone in the first quarter, and he didn't do quite as well with that. Eluemunor was up and down. Athletic as he is, I think conditioning is an issue for him, for one simple reason: when he's on, he's on, and when he isn't, he's slow off the ball, lunging, and whiffing -- the three sure fire signs of an out of shape lineman. Zuttah was still in during the fourth quarter and looked bad.

Aaaand now we get to Howard. My my my, how high my hopes were. And now it turns out he's an out of shape toad. So out of shape he can't even get low enough pad level to drive guys weighing 100 pounds fewer. Slow off the ball, rigid, and not flexible. Concerned.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
This defense is gonna fuck the whole world up. They're gonna be so dominant they'll make the rankings in other sports. "The number 1 defense in the NBA in 2017 goes to... the Baltimore ravens, yes, they're that good"

Tim Williams is looking a lot more comfortable.

Jaylen hill is gonna be our starting nickel

Zadarius has taken a big leap after a sophomore slump and unimpressive rookie year

Willie Henry flies off the ball, holy shit

I hope correa steps up

Why was maxx out?

Buck is looking like a 1, mizzell is looking like a hell of a 3db. 2 backs in the shotgun, mizzell and woodhead, linebackers will stay home to cover short all day long.

I hope maclin is purposely being underused

The line can pass protect but can't run block for shit

Goddamn I hope joe is healthy

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
1) If you didn't know and had to guess which player was un-drafted between Correa and Onwuasor,I'm not sure you could.
2) protection seemed decent for the first few series. After that the offensive line was terrible in protection. Also unable to run the ball at any point.
3) Mallett pre- determines throws and is aiming throws. He did look more confident and played better generally but offense struggled under all quarterbacks.
4) haven't seen anything from Maclin. Appeared not to run all out on quick give outside.
5) Judon is really starting to show himself a versatile and physical OLB. thought he was very effective setting the edge, physical against the run, relentless pass rush.
6) I'm hoping we see more of a rotation on D LINE in the regular season with guys like Davis, Kaufusi seeing more snaps. Kaufusi is absolutely relentless. Great back side pursuit on the Bills TD.
7) If Humphrey is what we hope it bodes well for our secondary going forward with Tavon and Hill.
8) Vince Mayle very good covering kicks....dropped a well thrown pass however.
9) do we know it's legal to throw to the tight end?
10) the run game is quite bad

hawkprey

Practice Squad
Who would've thought that after dealing Jernigan, the team would still have too many D-linemen? Carl Davis and Willie Henry look dominant. Kaufusi, Williams and Ricard look great. Bowser is going to be huge. And none of them are the starters.

CB looks pretty stacked if Humphrey turns out to be good. That'd make Smith, Carr, Huphrey, Webb and Hill 5 guys I'd be comfortable starting. If only Tavon Young was healthy.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
This defense is gonna fuck the whole world up. They're gonna be so dominant they'll make the rankings in other sports. "The number 1 defense in the NBA in 2017 goes to... the Baltimore ravens, yes, they're that good"

Tim Williams is looking a lot more comfortable.

Jaylen hill is gonna be our starting nickel

Zadarius has taken a big leap after a sophomore slump and unimpressive rookie year

Willie Henry flies off the ball, holy shit

I hope correa steps up

Why was maxx out?

Buck is looking like a 1, mizzell is looking like a hell of a 3db. 2 backs in the shotgun, mizzell and woodhead, linebackers will stay home to cover short all day long.

I hope maclin is purposely being underused

The line can pass protect but can't run block for shit

Goddamn I hope joe is healthy

Every other NBA Team is calling our FO to go and put a stop to the Warrior and Cavs so they can win too lol.

I'm absolutely loving this defense, I truly think we have the speed on defense that we have been missing in the past couple years. I honestly didn't have high hopes for this season and was thinking we would miss the playoffs again. The defense is saying we'll have a chance but the offense is saying no chance. The defense is going to keep us in games for 59 minutes and at that point, in the last minute we'll be hoping for enough offense to get into Tucker range and win the game.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Chuck Clark is a smart, physical football player. I've been impressed by him. He isn't special athletically but he is seldom out of position, knows assignments and tackles well.

Nice that we came off the field unscathed by injury.

Very hyped on Williams, Bowser, Judon for the next three plus years.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I'd give the spot to Mizzell over Campanaro without thinking twice. More versatility, quickness and physicality. Tough little dude, like him a lot.
Hill's on the roster as of now, right?
We need better ILB next to Mosley. Can't wait 3-4 years for KC to figure this out.
I wonder what are we going to do with D line - how many will we keep on 53 and will we be able to get anything for guy(s) that don't make it?
I'm totally disappointed with TEs and scared of our O line.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I spent most of my time watching the LG and WLB spots because those are the two starting spots that seem to be up for grabs. Skura was solid if not unspectacular- definitely going to be hard to run with him in the lineup (he does seems rather JAG-ish tbh). I don't think anybody expected much from him, but with Lewis and Goose going down, things aren't as dire as they otherwise could be. I don't buy Hurst at LG- I think his value is probably highest as a swing tackle if he doesn't end up starting at RT over Howard. Ultimately, I have no idea how the starting OL looks going into week 1, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Stanley-Skura-Jensen-Yanda-Howard out there. I would have preferred to see Zuttah get some LG work, but that never happened, we just got the same Zuttah at C that we all know (and don't love more often than not). It does seem as though Harbs wasn't BSing with the "We view Zuttah as a C" talk we have gotten all week.

Definitely compelled by the Correa v. Onwuasor competition though. Correa hasn't been awful by any means, but he's not making the plays that Onwuasor is making. Onwuasor and Correa seemed to play together pretty often (which is a good sign -God forbid- for depth purposes). Correa still seems to be the preferred option (since Onwuasor hasn't been an every-down LB in the eyes of the Ravens), but there's no way he's getting too comfortable. In other words, Correa likely is the week 1 starter, but a couple mistakes could thrust Onwuasor into the lineup pretty early.

Other than that, there was a lot of confirmation for what most of us seemed to already know. Guys like Hill and Ricard are probably locks at this point and guys like Taliaferro and Wes-bot are on the outside looking in. I don't think Reynolds has a chance of beating out Camp at this point. I don't think that any receivers make the team beyond the obvious (Maclin, Wallace, Perriman, Campanaro, Moore). Mizzell is the only wild card for me at this point, but I think that carrying 5 receivers makes him a lock- especially if there are any lingering issues with Woodhead.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
This was the first ever Ravens game that I've gone to, so that was pretty exciting. I bet it would have been much less exciting watching on TV.

Some brief thoughts that I had:
1. The scoreboards looked amazing in person.
2. Mizzell had a good game imo
3. Hill had a good interception
4. Lots of penalties on both sides
5. Lewis's run happened almost right in front of me, so that was cool seeing it up close

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Every other NBA Team is calling our FO to go and put a stop to the Warrior and Cavs so they can win too lol.

I'm absolutely loving this defense, I truly think we have the speed on defense that we have been missing in the past couple years. I honestly didn't have high hopes for this season and was thinking we would miss the playoffs again. The defense is saying we'll have a chance but the offense is saying no chance. The defense is going to keep us in games for 59 minutes and at that point, in the last minute we'll be hoping for enough offense to get into Tucker range and win the game.
I loved the first quarter, I LOVE seeing us slowly win the field position. 3 and out, receive the punt on the 20, one first down and boom, field position is won. Then we force another 3 and our and receive the punt near the 50. That's 2000 and 06 and 08 style ravens football

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
This was the first ever Ravens game that I've gone to, so that was pretty exciting. I bet it would have been much less exciting watching on TV.

Some brief thoughts that I had:
1. The scoreboards looked amazing in person.
2. Mizzell had a good game imo
3. Hill had a good interception
4. Lots of penalties on both sides
5. Lewis's run happened almost right in front of me, so that was cool seeing it up close
Wait til you see a division rival game in person, shit is LITT. Tailgating is great at ravens games too

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I'd give the spot to Mizzell over Campanaro without thinking twice. More versatility, quickness and physicality. Tough little dude, like him a lot.
Hill's on the roster as of now, right?
We need better ILB next to Mosley. Can't wait 3-4 years for KC to figure this out.
I wonder what are we going to do with D line - how many will we keep on 53 and will we be able to get anything for guy(s) that don't make it?
I'm totally disappointed with TEs and scared of our O line.

imo...

Hill definitely makes the roster (did Boykin even play tonight? Did Trevin Wade do anything worthwhile?) 10 DBs are probably going to make the roster- Weddle, Jefferson, Jimmy Smith, Brandon Carr, Marlon Humphrey, Lardarius Webb, Anthony Levine are all locks. Chuck Clark and Jaylen Hill are more likely to be kept than cut at this point. Question is- who could be the tenth? Price? Someone cut off another team?

Correa and Onwuasor are going to be fighting for that WLB spot all year. We see the nickel package with Levine at LB every preseason, but that never seems to be a regular season thing.

I think the team keeps all 8 DL (Williams, Pierce, Urban, Kaufusi, Henry, Davis, Wormley, Ricard). I don't think that a true FB makes the roster, and I think only three TEs (Boyle, Watson, Maxx) end up on the 53-man squad- due to Ricard's versatility. So I think 8 actually happens.

As for the TE and OL, I think the TEs will be fine going forward, the team seems to have been very deliberate in resting Maxx/Watson, plus Boyle could end up being a decent player. The OL is definitely worrisome. It'll no doubt be better when Stanley returns, but the LG spot is a huge concern. We have no idea what to expect if Hurst ends up there, and Skura/Eluemunor definitely wouldn't inspire confidence. Losing Lewis and Siragusa sucks and we know that now more than ever.