• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Evaluate the Preseason

redrum52

Hall of Famer
i agree with everything from your post, especially with him being a better corner than safety. As the tape shows, Humphrey uses the sideline extremely well, which is why his strength is as a boundary corner. When players move inside there is a huge learning curve. I do believe he could be a good strong safety, but boundary corner is a better fit more valuable to the team. Finding a good strong safety isn't that difficult.

Elam's smoking a blunt, laughing at this comment...

i agree with everything from your post, especially with him being a better corner than safety. As the tape shows, Humphrey uses the sideline extremely well, which is why his strength is as a boundary corner. When players move inside there is a huge learning curve. I do believe he could be a good strong safety, but boundary corner is a better fit more valuable to the team. Finding a good strong safety isn't that difficult.
Elam's smoking a blunt, laughing at this comment...

Man it was hard watching Elam play like shit, especially with James ihedigbo kicking ass for the Lions.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
His quickness is great, it's the lapses in footwork that concern me.
I think we're basically saying the same thing. I say depending on the coverage we run and the people next to him and the player he has to face, he should hold his own in coverage and have more opportunities to shine. Tyler Boyd, for example, is a pretty good matchup. I'm not saying I want him here, I'd fear the Correa effect, but it would make some sense.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
This might be the single best example of post that comes across as a stuck up know-it all with a massive victim complex I've seen in a long time and considering this is the internet that is impressive.

Did you ever entertain the notion that people disagree with you because they think you see the tape wrong and are missing core details about his play? Probably not, because that hinders your ability to see yourself as "the sole voice of reason in a sea,of blind fans".

I honestly think he would make a much better corner than safety. I think he can be an ok safety but can be a shut down corner.

Well you are wrong. I'm not the one kicks and screams when somebody has a different opinion on a player I want to succeed. It's football so what. I didn't watch a single complete game last yr Til the Super Bowl. Victim complex?? Totally the opposite!! I'm as far capitalist as you will ever find. And as far as see the tape wrong. I'm not the one looking at it so biasedly reaching for reasons to like his tape and believe he will be a pro bowl caliber cornerback. If he is fine. But I judge players a little differently than most. Not saying I can't be wrong. But when I am sure about a player I'm usually right. Now I don't know the outlook for every player of course. If I claimed I did then I traveled pretty far down know it all avenue. And I'm not afraid to be wrong. After all it is opinion. Sometimes I don't feel like arguing. Or else I woulda slammed that loser Correa far worse than I actually did. And Humph I would be slamming him a little more.

My opinion on Humph he can be a good functional cornerback with proper system and help. But my prob with him is far from the best player we coulda picked. And I think missing out on Ramsey and Alabama influenced the pick a little. As a safety his floor is Antrel Rolle. His ceiling is hard to say. Don't wanna say Ronnie Lott. But close. The verdict is a bigger more physical and explosive Antrel Rolle.[/QUOTE]

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Why change where Humphrey plays? He looked fantastic as a cornerback. The team already has two top safeties and he hasn't showed any bad traits so far in a game as far as his coverage ability. I mean it is a back up plan to possibly move him but the idea of having two towers that are shutdown with him and J. Smith gets me so excited for the season.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Why change where Humphrey plays? He looked fantastic as a cornerback. The team already has two top safeties and he hasn't showed any bad traits so far in a game as far as his coverage ability. I mean it is a back up plan to possibly move him but the idea of having two towers that are shutdown with him and J. Smith gets me so excited for the season.
I think it's because a lot of people hyped him as a potential SS, and that notion has some legs, he shows amazing SS traits, but as many have pointed out his absolute best trait is how well he uses the sideline, so while he could be a very exciting SS his ceiling is a shutdown boundary corner.

You rarely see corners with his aggression and physicality, he's a bully, like a freak athlete version of talib, and he is scheme versatile showing great press ability along with incredible recognition and awareness to come downhill to break up plays when he's playing off or zone, that downhill style is another safety trait, but safeties have to play more horizontal, and Humphrey is prone to slip ups and the less you expose him to that the better he should be, and safeties don't get to jam dudes into the bleachers. He shows great safety traits but with some refinement he has top 5 cb ability

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
If you say it's great to have a SS that can cover WR, wouldn't be even more amazing to have a shutdown CB that can also fill the alley and distribute hard hits like the best SS?

I don't think anyone in the league has that.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If you say it's great to have a SS that can cover WR, wouldn't be even more amazing to have a shutdown CB that can also fill the alley and distribute hard hits like the best SS?

I don't think anyone in the league has that.
Charles Woodson comes to mind.

I think his floor is Antoine Winfield and his ceiling is Charles Woodson, but I think he'all finish somewhere in the middle to become a more versatile and athletic aqib talib

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Charles Woodson comes to mind.

I think his floor is Antoine Winfield and his ceiling is Charles Woodson, but I think he'all finish somewhere in the middle to become a more versatile and athletic aqib talib
More violent especially. I know Talib is pretty agressive himself but I don't think he can make tackles quite like Humph can.