• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Evaluate the Preseason

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Forgotten! It's the preseason and the Lions the year they went 0-16 actually went 4-0 that same preseason. Also, just to bring us all down to earth, the Browns were 4-0 as well!

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Forgotten! It's the preseason and the Lions the year they went 0-16 actually went 4-0 that same preseason. Also, just to bring us all down to earth, the Browns were 4-0 as well!
It's not about records, it's about gauging a small sample size, and our sample size showed an absolutely dominant defense and depth defenders that could be starters on a lot of teams. And on offense we saw better pass protection than expected but everything else was a disaster, albeit we had half our starters out

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Sounds like a motivational tool.

I wonder though if Humphrey is being considered as the top slot corner? Not a fan
I know what you mean but at the same time he is so lights out when he plays close to the LoS. The slot position would allow him to stay in front of the play and give him more opportunities to mix it up against the run or short passes. I know that's not what we're envisionning for him but it plays well with his strengths.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Sounds like a motivational tool.

I wonder though if Humphrey is being considered as the top slot corner? Not a fan
Are you not a fan of him as a slot cornerback or not a fan of us putting him there?
At the moment, that's his best spot but I think he is adequate on the sideline as well, at least as good as Carr.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I know what you mean but at the same time he is so lights out when he plays close to the LoS. The slot position would allow him to stay in front of the play and give him more opportunities to mix it up against the run or short passes. I know that's not what we're envisionning for him but it plays well with his strengths.
i worry that the typical slot receiver in todays nfl is designed to beat an aggressive guy like humphrey. i could be way off base, but i like a shiftier and more reactionary player in the slot, humphrey seems more anticipatory, and i worry about his occasional lapse in footwork dealing with those types of receivers.

Are you not a fan of him as a slot cornerback or not a fan of us putting him there?
At the moment, that's his best spot but I think he is adequate on the sideline as well, at least as good as Carr.
see above. i think humphrey is at his best when he can use the sideline as an extra defender, he uses the sideline incredibly well and i worry a little bit about him having to play east and west as often as he will in the slot. but then again if our pass rush plays like they should then his skillset could potentially kill the slot receiver leading to interceptions on what should be quick easy throws.

not calling anything, i just strongly prefer him on the sideline.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
i worry that the typical slot receiver in todays nfl is designed to beat an aggressive guy like humphrey. i could be way off base, but i like a shiftier and more reactionary player in the slot, humphrey seems more anticipatory, and i worry about his occasional lapse in footwork dealing with those types of receivers.

see above. i think humphrey is at his best when he can use the sideline as an extra defender, he uses the sideline incredibly well and i worry a little bit about him having to play east and west as often as he will in the slot. but then again if our pass rush plays like they should then his skillset could potentially kill the slot receiver leading to interceptions on what should be quick easy throws.

not calling anything, i just strongly prefer him on the sideline.
Yep, that's one of the assumptions I'm making here - our pass rush doing what they're supposed to do. If that works out like we hope it would (and should), it would be easy for him in the slot. He'd think he's still in Tuscaloosa.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I think his short area quickness is among the best I've seen, I've always thought a guy of his size shouldn't be that quick and that fluid. But you have a point, considering he's been exposed by double move, he'd have a hard time against quicker receivers that are given some space. That is if we play man, if we're in zone he's perfectly legit.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
That's reidic

thats ridiculous. So you wanted to hear everyone's explanation and won't reciprocate. If you ask me it sounds like you don't want people disagreeing with you.

First off. I don't even know u people and couldn't care less who disagrees. And this is a really busy week. Part of the reason nobody wants to hear safety and a round1 cornerback is it usually means bust at cornerback. And everybody has these dreams for Humph at cornerback that he is not going to live up to. You can get mad act childish and hit disagree and dislike all you want. Which is equivalent to kicking and screaming watching him bust at cornerback. Not saying he can't play cornerback at all. But he isn't gonna be this shutdown cornerback everybody is dreaming of. If you want a shutdown cornerback then shoulda sent that pick to SF for Reshard Robinson. Whom I called b4 last yrs draft he will be in the conversation for best cornerback in the league. If not the best. Write it down if you like!! That dude is a freak.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
First off. I don't even know u people and couldn't care less who disagrees. And this is a really busy week. Part of the reason nobody wants to hear safety and a round1 cornerback is it usually means bust at cornerback. And everybody has these dreams for Humph at cornerback that he is not going to live up to. You can get mad act childish and hit disagree and dislike all you want. Which is equivalent to kicking and screaming watching him bust at cornerback. Not saying he can't play cornerback at all. But he isn't gonna be this shutdown cornerback everybody is dreaming of. If you want a shutdown cornerback then shoulda sent that pick to SF for Reshard Robinson. Whom I called b4 last yrs draft he will be in the conversation for best cornerback in the league. If not the best. Write it down if you like!! That dude is a freak.
But why won't Humph become a shutdown corner? Not saying he will but why can't he?

But why won't Humph become a shutdown corner? Not saying he will but why can't he?

He could eventually. His weakness in college was the deep ball but then again nobody os born with those skills you learn them over time, Revis wasnt a shutdown corner out of high school he was a 3 star.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
He could eventually. His weakness in college was the deep ball but then again nobody os born with those skills you learn them over time, Revis wasnt a shutdown corner out of high school he was a 3 star.
Jimmy had the same problem and he fixed it. It's nothing that can't be taught, it's actually good that Humph's biggest problem is one that we're used to fixing.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think his short area quickness is among the best I've seen, I've always thought a guy of his size shouldn't be that quick and that fluid. But you have a point, considering he's been exposed by double move, he'd have a hard time against quicker receivers that are given some space. That is if we play man, if we're in zone he's perfectly legit.
His quickness is great, it's the lapses in footwork that concern me.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I actually really don't care. The point is that you asked for everyone's point of view and said you would tell them why you didn't see KC as an NFL player and then didn't reciprocate. But you know what, I expect that out of you.

Btw, you can be a very good cb in the NFL and not be a shut down corner. That being said, Humphrey has the traits to be a shut down cb.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

This might be the single best example of post that comes across as a stuck up know-it all with a massive victim complex I've seen in a long time and considering this is the internet that is impressive.

Did you ever entertain the notion that people disagree with you because they think you see the tape wrong and are missing core details about his play? Probably not, because that hinders your ability to see yourself as "the sole voice of reason in a sea,of blind fans".

I honestly think he would make a much better corner than safety. I think he can be an ok safety but can be a shut down corner.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This might be the single best example of post that comes across as a stuck up know-it all with a massive victim complex I've seen in a long time and considering this is the internet that is impressive.

Did you ever entertain the notion that people disagree with you because they think you see the tape wrong and are missing core details about his play? Probably not, because that hinders your ability to see yourself as "the sole voice of reason in a sea,of blind fans".

I honestly think he would make a much better corner than safety. I think he can be an ok safety but can be a shut down corner.
i agree with everything from your post, especially with him being a better corner than safety. As the tape shows, Humphrey uses the sideline extremely well, which is why his strength is as a boundary corner. When players move inside there is a huge learning curve. I do believe he could be a good strong safety, but boundary corner is a better fit more valuable to the team. Finding a good strong safety isn't that difficult.