• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Evaluate the Preseason

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
So what's your take on Humphrey as a safety?
I think it'd be a waste. You don't put a corner at safety because he can play safety. You let him ride it out and develop his natural gifts at corner.

Could be a great safety? I have no doubt. Can he be a Charles Woodson light corner? I think so.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Humphrey looked damn good, but I still see weaknesses that could be easily exploited by smart offenses. Setting him up for double moves could be a common tactic. Expect to see Humphrey shut down a lot of slants and curls only to be beat over the top later on.

Strangely, I think Humphrey developing a comfort level is the worst thing he could do. If a team is testing him short, he is gonna get comfortable playing downhill. Hopefully he develops his footwork enough to recover from bites on double moves, he has the athleticism to recover on double moves but his footwork in college got him in trouble, he can flip his hips very well but he doesn't always do it, and often was caught turning around rather than flipping. I expect growing pains from him this year but I also expect him to have a hell of a season, he might be one of the best in the league already at playing the short pass, and when it comes to playing physical and making receivers feel pain on "easy" completions, he may only be rivaled by talib, and this is just based off of how incredibly tough he was in college. I'm expecting a very good season with hiccups of ugly plays here and there

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Humphrey looked damn good, but I still see weaknesses that could be easily exploited by smart offenses. Setting him up for double moves could be a common tactic. Expect to see Humphrey shut down a lot of slants and curls only to be beat over the top later on.

Strangely, I think Humphrey developing a comfort level is the worst thing he could do. If a team is testing him short, he is gonna get comfortable playing downhill. Hopefully he develops his footwork enough to recover from bites on double moves, he has the athleticism to recover on double moves but his footwork in college got him in trouble, he can flip his hips very well but he doesn't always do it, and often was caught turning around rather than flipping. I expect growing pains from him this year but I also expect him to have a hell of a season, he might be one of the best in the league already at playing the short pass, and when it comes to playing physical and making receivers feel pain on "easy" completions, he may only be rivaled by talib, and this is just based off of how incredibly tough he was in college. I'm expecting a very good season with hiccups of ugly plays here and there

And to be honest that's pretty much the best that can be expected of any rookie corner - moments of brilliant play with some ugly moments - hopefully his ugly moments can be covered up a little by some safeties being schemed behind him a little to his side

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Commence freakout in 3...2....1...
giphy.webp

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I actually know for a fact that this team has never drafted a cornerback that parts of the fanbase haven't wanted to move to safety.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Correa pick was an unpopular one the instant it was made.

He never jumped off college film. He did and does have a burst off the line but possessed little else as an edge player.

My comment the instant he was drafted was, "we just drafted a core special teams player".

I am hoping to see him blossom inside as it is a fairly new spot for him. We'll see.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor

It looked to me as he had eyes in the backfield on the play Where he was torched off the line.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
The Correa pick was an unpopular one the instant it was made.

He never jumped off college film. He did and does have a burst off the line but possessed little else as an edge player.

My comment the instant he was drafted was, "we just drafted a core special teams player".

I am hoping to see him blossom inside as it is a fairly new spot for him. We'll see.
I remember calling him a poor man's Noah Spence, as he had the same repertoire but no elite trait to go with it.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
So how far away do you think our REAL defense is from looking as dominant as they did in the preseason?

Trick question, I think they're even better, pees didn't shy away from opening the playbook, BUT it was obvious that some of our young guys were being used out of their elements likely to develop their skillset. when Tim Williams pins his ears back every passing down, and bowser gets to just rush and pursue rather than worry about edge setting, and guys like Jefferson/Weddle can use their full skillset for 4 quarters, then I think our D becomes far more dangerous. We only got a taste, a full sample size should be even better when we have fresh legged rushers in the 4th quarter beating the brakes off of blockers

K-Dog

MVP
I think once game planning for an opponent becomes a factor, it is going to be lights out.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
So how far away do you think our REAL defense is from looking as dominant as they did in the preseason?

Trick question, I think they're even better, pees didn't shy away from opening the playbook, BUT it was obvious that some of our young guys were being used out of their elements likely to develop their skillset. when Tim Williams pins his ears back every passing down, and bowser gets to just rush and pursue rather than worry about edge setting, and guys like Jefferson/Weddle can use their full skillset for 4 quarters, then I think our D becomes far more dangerous. We only got a taste, a full sample size should be even better when we have fresh legged rushers in the 4th quarter beating the brakes off of blockers

As long as Jimmy plays all 16 (one can hope), I feel very comfortable being better than last season's barring any season-ending injuries. Even we had the "#1 defense" that was with an inconsistent pass-rush. I don't think this will be a problem with guys like Judon, Urban, Davis(?), T-Will, Bowser, Mosley, and The General himself.

For all that "dime" talk last preseason, I wonder how much time Peanut will get this season. Even though I didn't watch the finale, I was pretty impressed with him in the first 3 games. Speaking of impressive secondary players, where's Hill in the depth chart?

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
As long as Jimmy plays all 16 (one can hope), I feel very comfortable being better than last season's barring any season-ending injuries. Even we had the "#1 defense" that was with an inconsistent pass-rush. I don't think this will be a problem with guys like Judon, Urban, Davis(?), T-Will, Bowser, Mosley, and The General himself.

For all that "dime" talk last preseason, I wonder how much time Peanut will get this season. Even though I didn't watch the finale, I was pretty impressed with him in the first 3 games. Speaking of impressive secondary players, where's Hill in the depth chart?
He's behind Carr and Humphrey on the Week 1 depth chart that the Ravens released.