• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The General TE Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It will make me so sad if Maxx just gets ignored. I know this sounds awful but I wasn't too destroyed when Pitta got hurt (yes I love him, he is my username) but at the same time I think Maxx can be what Pitta use to be. He has nothing great about him besides one thing, HE IS ALWAYS OPEN. I don't know how, but that was a big thing coming out of college and I saw it his first year also. I remember week 17 vs Cinny two years ago, he was a beast! I believe he made 3 amazing first down catches all on third down. I loved him but it seems Harbs prefers old washed up tightends.
I'd say his hands and just raw power and toughness are what stands out the most, he's super fluid for being such a big bodied dude and does get open well, but the man has absolute vice grips and is too strong in the air to get outmanned

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
I'd say his hands and just raw power and toughness are what stands out the most, he's super fluid for being such a big bodied dude and does get open well, but the man has absolute vice grips and is too strong in the air to get outmanned

There is no doubt that Maxx Williams does possess the skills to be a productive tight end. Hopefully he will be healthy enough to display all of his ability on the field.

The Raven

Veteran
I'd like to make a motion to rename this thread: "Nick Boyle and the TEs."

Seriously. What is Maxx doing? All the potential in the world and he's third string behind a 270 pound, small school, no name TE who ran a 5.0 40 and a 36 year old TE coming off an Achilles tear.

Last edited:

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
While I don't disagree here as it looks like Boyle is going to win the starting job, I have always wanted to use this gif and it was the perfect setup. Sorry man.
47Bk9f.gif

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Seriously. What is Maxx doing? All the potential in the world and he's third string behind a 270 pound, small school, no name TE who ran a 5.0 40 and a 36 year old TE coming off an Achilles tear.
Done, until Maxx starts to show something

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Agreed it should for sure be Nick for now, it just makes me super upset Maxx couldn't get it done. I think he could be just as good as a guy like Greg Olson. We stole him from the Steelers too and it makes it that much better.

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
Second that notion. Maxx cannot surpass anyone on the depth chart let alone keep the headline on an online forum. Someone should let him know about this so it hopefully sparks a fire under him.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Eh, I am a big Maxx supporter, and I think that the knee procedure has a lot to do with him missing out. But I am growing concerned... about him. I think Boyle could be a good starter for us.

I'm not too worried. We played three TEs last season when Maxx, Crockett, and Dennis were all healthy so I predict we do the same thing again. One of them has to be a clear cut good option come season's end.

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
Eh, I am a big Maxx supporter, and I think that the knee procedure has a lot to do with him missing out. But I am growing concerned... about him. I think Boyle could be a good starter for us.

I'm not too worried. We played three TEs last season when Maxx, Crockett, and Dennis were all healthy so I predict we do the same thing again. One of them has to be a clear cut good option come season's end.

Agreed, not worried about our TE group as a whole, we'll be fine there. Definitely worried about Maxx though and where his recovery and head is at.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Agreed, not worried about our TE group as a whole, we'll be fine there. Definitely worried about Maxx though and where his recovery and head is at.
Well the fact that he's been practicing is a good thing. It's been awhile since he's played football. Just one step at a time. He's apparently made a few good grabs here and there which is a good thing.

Why do people expect Maxx to turn up looking like a bodybuilder? hes been hurt for a long long time and number two hes not built that way, hes more like Witten than Vernon Davis.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Glad to hear that Maxx had a good day at practice. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

Serrell Tuggs

Practice Squad
His speed on that long reception really surprised me. It was the first play I can remember that showed why we picked him so high.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
His speed on that long reception really surprised me. It was the first play I can remember that showed why we picked him so high.
He showed some of this back in 2015 as well. He really started to come on the last few games of 2015. I really thought he was going to break out last season until he went onto IR. I do believe he will break out this year.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
If Maxx does that against the ones he's a perennial pro bowler. Dude looks like he's bulked up muscle wise and he's deceptively quick in the open field.

I fully expect him to be the starter sometime soon. Which is fine. Boyle is an ideal #2 TE who's a borderline number one

If Maxx does that against the ones he's a perennial pro bowler. Dude looks like he's bulked up muscle wise and he's deceptively quick in the open field.

I fully expect him to be the starter sometime soon. Which is fine. Boyle is an ideal #2 TE who's a borderline number one

According to this board hes fat and out of shape and not taking football seriously.