• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2017 College Football Thread

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Nobody is saying they are ungrateful but I’m saying they aren’t being given enough for how much money they make for multiple organisations
For an out of state college student to go to Alabama and play football it would cost them around $45,000. They’re getting to go to college and play football for free. There’s absolutely no reason college football players should be paid. That’s almost $200,000 in free college. If that’s not enough idk what is.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
For an out of state college student to go to Alabama and play football it would cost them around $45,000. They’re getting to go to college and play football for free. There’s absolutely no reason college football players should be paid. That’s almost $200,000 in free college. If that’s not enough idk what is.
Room and board is paid for and everything. Plus these kids get crazy gifts for bowl games. Some gave each player a $450 gift card to the sponsored bowl

Tank

Hall of Famer
Nobody is saying they are ungrateful but I’m saying they aren’t being given enough for how much money they make for multiple organisations
I understand what you are saying, but they shouldn't be given anything other than the education that they are supposed to be at school to get.

Inqui

Pro Bowler
26195298_1777407372305943_5513621135898600248_n.jpg

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
but given how much money the NCAA and ESPN make off the labour of the players i dont see how they dont deserve some proportion of that income...
Their portion of their income can be accounted to the education they recieve (classes are not cheap, especially for out of state students) room and board, and the school gives them extra to pay for books, school, supplies, transportation, etc. Tuition covers every facet of living on or near campus. Granted not every scholarship is a full scholarship but at least they have no worries about student loans and have the opportunity to create something for their future if football doesnt work out. Now for ESPN making money and them ALSO complaining about student athletes not making money is just stupid on their part. I honestly wish ESPN would just keep their mouth shut when it comes to political arguements. They are the bigger problem than the Universities in my eyes. When it comes to student athletes at least.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Their portion of their income can be accounted to the education they recieve (classes are not cheap, especially for out of state students) room and board, and the school gives them extra to pay for books, school, supplies, transportation, etc. Tuition covers every facet of living on or near campus. Granted not every scholarship is a full scholarship but at least they have no worries about student loans and have the opportunity to create something for their future if football doesnt work out. Now for ESPN making money and them ALSO complaining about student athletes not making money is just stupid on their part. I honestly wish ESPN would just keep their mouth shut when it comes to political arguements. They are the bigger problem than the Universities in my eyes. When it comes to student athletes at least.

what about walk-ons and non-full scholars though... i just think more could be done because at the moment despite all these things a lot of these players get given i still feel uncomfortable about the situation because they seem a little exploited

Tank

Hall of Famer
but given how much money the NCAA and ESPN make off the labour of the players i dont see how they dont deserve some proportion of that income...
They are students who play football, not paid football players who go to school. They aren’t entitled to monetary compensation.

The bulk of the NCAA’s money goes back into the schools, their conferences and sports programs, and ultimately benefits the student athlete through scholarships.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Every single FBS football scholarship is a full ride. There is no such thing as a partial scholarship.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
what about walk-ons and non-full scholars though... i just think more could be done because at the moment despite all these things a lot of these players get given i still feel uncomfortable about the situation because they seem a little exploited
There is no such thing as a non full scholar. Every single player that has a scholarship has a full ride. If walk ons are good enough they receive a scholarship.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Alabama gives 85 kids $45,000 full rides every year to play football. That’s giving more than enough back to the players.

Tank

Hall of Famer

They are students who play football, not paid football players who go to school. They aren’t entitled to monetary compensation.

The bulk of the NCAA’s money goes back into the schools, their conferences and sports programs, and ultimately benefits the student athlete through scholarships.

You got me curious.....check this out.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/where-does-money-go