• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

RB Thread

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Forgot to mention Ty Isaac. I really like this dude, he's big and fast, and he moves with very little wasted motion hitting the hole.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
So which of these RBs are likely to be available in the mid 3rd?

I know its early but with a rough guess.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
So which of these RBs are likely to be available in the mid 3rd?

I know its early but with a rough guess.
With the depth of this class, you can expect some good bargains to still be there in the third. I'd venture to say Ronald Jones, Damien Harris, Akrum Wadley, Mike Weber (not a fan but some people are), Ralph Webb and maybe even Royce Freeman will be available at this stage.

Darhk_Raven

Practice Squad
You are correct and I am a straight up Scarborough fanboy. I wasn't big on Derrick Henry as a pro, I am very big on Scarborough, he is the nastiest runner I've ever seen, he's a faster more agile and fluid Henry. But for some reason I was under the impression he would be coming out in the following draft.
I like what little I've seen from Scarborough, but I did read that he's had two lower body injuries in his first two years at Bama. Do you know anything about this?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
With the depth of this class, you can expect some good bargains to still be there in the third. I'd venture to say Ronald Jones, Damien Harris, Akrum Wadley, Mike Weber (not a fan but some people are), Ralph Webb and maybe even Royce Freeman will be available at this stage.

ill admit i havent seen a huge amount but im not a huge fan of damien harris from what i have seen so far

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
ill admit i havent seen a huge amount but im not a huge fan of damien harris from what i have seen so far
I think I know why, there's nothing that pops off the tape except the speed, but I like him as a change of pace back that can give some chunk yards to your offense. If just for that, I'd take him, perhaps not on Day 2 though.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
So I've spent the past hour or so rewatching tape on Nick Chubb so I'm going to give my thoughts. These are briefs. Never fear, an article is coming that is far more detailed.

Pros: Even without his former explosiveness, Chubb is a fun watch on tape. He's got excellent vision, and is very good at on the fly decision making. He's not as good as Wadley in making cuts in the open field, but few are in this draft class. Nonetheless, he makes good, smart cuts in the open field. Likewise, he's a very paitent runner who enjoys(and excells) at running in between the tackles. But, he also displays a rock solid ability to bounce it to the outside if he has to. While his speed and burst are no longer elite, he's still capable of breaking off a 30 yard + run on every play, which holds high value in my eyes(since when has a 30 yard gain ever been a bad thing?). But what truly makes him a dangerous running back is his power. He's a hard man to tackle in the open field, and I have seen several runs against different teams where he gets an additional 2-3 yards on the run because he lowers his shoulder and pushes the play forward two to three yards. Likwise, he has shown to be a rock solid running back in pass protection. When he gets his hands on somebody anyway. Although he was used sparingly as a reciever, he did have a few scoring plays because of his explosiveness. He also did have a tendency of getting open, which would bode well for a team like us as Flacco does like to check it down a lot.

Cons: Obviously, the injury has robbed him of some of his explosiveness. Which is bad, but it hasn't totally robbed it of him or anything. I feel as if this is what is keeping him from being a mid first rounder as opposed to being a potentially late first rounder/early second rounder. He was also used sparingly as a reciever, which is concerning. I'm not too sure if this was a coaching issue, or because of a lack of ability. He only had double didget catches in his freshman year, as a backup to Todd Gurley. Likewise, although he has become a good blocker in pass protection, I've seen him make a poor decision in terms of who to block, which has lead to sacks. All in all, he's not a perfect running back and he needs coaching in certain areas.

Overall: Chubb is the ideal fit in a Greg Roman running game with his paitence, ability to make really good cuts in the open field, and speed/power combination. If his former explosiveness returned, he would likely be the second running back off the board after Barkley. However, as of right now I see him as a fringe first rounder, to high second round pick. He is going to be a weapon for whoever picks him up.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Now I know why I'm not in love with Scarbrough: He's a horrible fit for what Saban wants him to do. Too many East-West carries for a runner who is the most North South you could think of.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
How about we just trade for AP. We need an elite running back to make ourselves super bowl contenders THIS YEAR. I feel like the holes are there to break a big run. Just not enough explosion and vision from west and buck.

If we want to continue this ground and pound approach. We need a home run hitter. AP might be the only guy we have a chance at
There doesn't seem to be anything elite in AP anymore...

The Greek

Veteran
AP is obviously unhappy with the saints but he will be sitting on the couch with woodhead soon enough. time to use maxx more often on 3rd downs. he was a 2nd round pick so use him

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Here is a breakdown on Akrum Wadley:

I don't believe it covers what makes Wadley so good, but it does explain why he should be able to carry a lot of touches in the league. I want it to be clear though, if I'm drafting Wadley it's not to be a workhorse back, but I could compare him in that aspect to an Alvin Kamara (who I loved as a prospect), a guy who can be your change of pace back, who's not going to tire the defense but is going to give you some good running and great receiving ability and make plays whenever you give him a chance. Kinda like a better version of Taquan Mizell if you will.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
In the wake of Woodhead missing time, and the fact that he won't be here for long, is there any receiving type of RB that is on your radar? Like a guy that can also line up in the slot and receive out of the backfield.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
In the wake of Woodhead missing time, and the fact that he won't be here for long, is there any receiving type of RB that is on your radar? Like a guy that can also line up in the slot and receive out of the backfield.
I think wadley could be that guy

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I think wadley could be that guy
Could be, but I don't think he has close to the route running or ability to get open of Woody. I remember Kamara was a hell of a receiver and I don't know any RB this year that could have this sort of impact. I tried Sony Michel, but didn't see anything special.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
You know what I'd be on board with?

A workhorse and a receiving back in the same draft. Similar to what Carolina did(although mcaffrey isn't really a workhorse but a well rounded back, and Samuel is playing as wr) but you get the point. Scarborough in 2 and wadley in 3 if either fall that far would be awesome

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You know what I'd be on board with?

A workhorse and a receiving back in the same draft. Similar to what Carolina did(although mcaffrey isn't really a workhorse but a well rounded back, and Samuel is playing as wr) but you get the point. Scarborough in 2 and wadley in 3 if either fall that far would be awesome

id be fine with a draft like that - obviously i want us to stick to BPA but hopefully that swings offensively in 2018's draft - if we can get out of the first 3 rounds with at least one skill position player and one offensive lineman ill be happy