• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

RB Thread

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I'm warming up on Bo but his injury history is something I can't get over given the state of our team.

The injury history is why I never wanted Woodhead in the first place. So if Bo has a similar injury history, I wants no part of him either.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I would love to know why you guys love Chubb so much. What does he bring to the table that West or Collins cant. They're all basically the same player. You can throw Royce Freeman in this group as well. They all have one thing in common. Size and running style. they're all about 5'11 210+, call it 215. Which is pretty solid for a running back and its great measurable's but they all have this scat back mentality. They use finesse to get by people and hardly ever break tackles (Chubb used to before his injury) none of them have homerun speed to break away from the second level and thats something we're seriously lacking.

I'd much prefer Myles Gaskin who's a bit smaller than all of them yet he breaks the most tackles and finishes his runs with the most violence. Hes got plenty of speed to take it the distance and from the 2016 tape ive seen he does a solid job in pass protection.

Im just saying. Id much rather have Gaskin, Bryce Love, or Akrum Wadley than either Chubb or Freeman. Maybe if Chubb returns to his freshman form but i doubt that. Chubb has not been the same explosive player he used to be. Now hes a good patient runner who uses his cuts well and finishes them hard. THATS IT. He wont threaten you outside or in the second level because he cant break tackles and he has no 5th gear.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Trade the farm for barkley. We're stuck with flacco til 2020 I believe. Might as well try to salvage it by using the jaguars strategy. Feed him the rock and make Joe throw as little as possible (sadly).
Use the rest of our draft picks for o-line and a safety project in the late rounds. Weddle getting older and slower.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Trade the farm for barkley. We're stuck with flacco til 2020 I believe. Might as well try to salvage it by using the jaguars strategy. Feed him the rock and make Joe throw as little as possible (sadly).
Use the rest of our draft picks for o-line and a safety project in the late rounds. Weddle getting older and slower.
I agree on your analogy and itd be a dream come true to draft Barkely yet its entirely unrealistic at this point. Itd be wiser to grab Q Nelson in Rd1 and take the next best back in our eyes. You can find elite backs in any round really. Its just a matter of picking the right one. I mean Rice and Bell were second round picks. Thats looking like the range wed be able to grab Love or Wadley

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I've always felt that we need to build this o-line to be top-notch first, then find that RB gem in the draft. Heck, we got Collins (despite his fumbling problems) and Dixon comes back next season. And we already know the deal with Flacco's performance and how it correlates with the strength (in some seasons, lack thereof) of the o-line.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've always felt that we need to build this o-line to be top-notch first, then find that RB gem in the draft. Heck, we got Collins (despite his fumbling problems) and Dixon comes back next season. And we already know the deal with Flacco's performance and how it correlates with the strength (in some seasons, lack thereof) of the o-line.
I honestly dont think they are good enough. we need a bell cow and someone who can actually catch out of the backfeild so we dont have all these tipped balls off running backs ending up in interceptions

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I would love to know why you guys love Chubb so much.
You're misjudging him. He's not a scat back. He's a bowling ball. We don't have one of those on the roster. West doesn't waste a lot of motion and is a smooth runner who's not all that fast but pretty effective, but more of a one cut and go kind of guy. Allen is a bit of a bruiser who can keep his legs pushing the play for that extra yard or two, and a good reciever. Dixon has #1 Back potential but is injury prone and a moron. And Collins has some good burst to him and some power to boot. Oh, and Woodhead is a great receiver.

I would like to say that first of all. Long speed is the most overrated trait of a running back by far. Is it an asset if you have it? Yes. Very much so. But how much do running backs really use it? You don't need to have it to be supremely effective in the NFL. Bell isn't pulling off 80 yard runs on a consistent basis. Sure he has a career long 81 yard run, but they still caught him. You don't need to have long speed to be super successful in the NFL. Chubb would have been a top 15 pick if he still did have his explosiveness, but he still has the makings of a very good running back at the pro level without it.

Firstly, you underrated Chubb's vision. I'd argue it's better than anyone's on the roster and we have backs with pretty good vision. Chubb is a bit of a dancer before he hits his hole and can still make people miss before it happens. He's constantly scanning the line to see if anythng is there and if there isn't anything his ability to bounce a run to the outside is underrated. From that point onward when he does hit the hole, he hits it hard. He can do something better than most other backs in this class can. He can put his head down, keep moving his legs, and keep going for the extra yard or two. Even if he's not breaking any tackles, even going back to the bowl game against TCU, he's gonna bring people with him on his way down and get a few extra yards. In a different way than Buck though. Not to mention, even if he's not breaking off these incredibly long runs, let's not pretend that he's lacking in burst: he isn't. He's a threat to break off a 20 yard run on a lot of plays if the offensive line gives him the opportunity: that's a really good thing. Runs over 15 yards are something to get excited about at the NFL level. And he's very good at making cuts. Some anklebreaking that are highlight reel worthy, and other smaller subtle cuts that he hits right before he gets to the hole that allows him to get an extra yard or two than he would have otherwise. He does the little things really well and that goes a long way.

And yeah. He's not gonna be breaking off these amazing highlight real 90 yard runs(few running backs actually can), but he's slippery. He'll break tackles with his power, but he's not all that easy to get your hands on. He's slippery, but he'll run your ass over if he gets the chance. So in a power run scheme like Roman's is he a bell cow? Yes. Very good vision. Good amount of power. Slippery. Will keep churnning his legs in a pile(something Elliot does VERY well btw). will be able to get you that extra couple of yards. And he's got an ability to ware the defense out. The fruther along the game goes. The better he gets.

Would I take him over Wradley? No. Guice? No. Barkley? No. Ronald Jones III? No. Would I take him over basically everyone else in the class I've scouted thus far(in a deep class mind you) in the second or third round? Yup. In our scheme I think he'd excel. He reminds me of a slower, but slightly more power Maurice Jones Drew coming out of school. MJD was a lot more explosive, but Chubb makes up for it in power. And finally, Chubb gets better as the game goes on because his running style is especially helpful in wearing the defense down. He's not overly explosive, but has some burst to him, very good vision. Good power. Can knock people on their ass if he gets the chance, and can move the pile. If he was still as explosive as he was before the injury, and had that legit 4.3 speed to his game instead the 4.5 he's running now(which btw isn't slow), he'd be a top 15 pick. Oh, and the cherry on top? Good pass protector.

I honestly dont think they are good enough. we need a bell cow and someone who can actually catch out of the backfeild so we dont have all these tipped balls off running backs ending up in interceptions

The running back's recieving ability isn't the issue and oh my god is that obvious. Buck and Dixon were both very accomplished receivers coming out of college and both are still good receivers. West isn't bad in that facet either. Flacco has been responsible for all of his interceptions this season. Sure, we brought in Woodhead, but a lot of NFL teams would kill for a player like Woodhead if he could stay healthy. I agree, we need a bell cow, there's lots of potential bell cows we could get that could be franchise runners in this class. But a receiving back? Don't see it.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ok maybe im a bit harsh. Im watching the 2017 tape he has so far and he does look a lot better than 2016. Its just so upsetting seeing the potential he had as a freshman. He was on Barkleys level AS A FRESHMAN. Id still like to have him but wed need to get rid of west for him....fast. Hes a guy I really want to like too but his 2016 tape was really infuriating seeing that lack of burst. He seems to have a lot back. I want to see how he keeps up throughout the season. See if he gets stronger as the season wears on and ends up wearing out oponents with his physicality. I hate to say it but I want to see beast mode like runs from him. Runs only the greatest of backs make, cause if we draft a rb this year. I want him to be special

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree on your analogy and itd be a dream come true to draft Barkely yet its entirely unrealistic at this point. Itd be wiser to grab Q Nelson in Rd1 and take the next best back in our eyes. You can find elite backs in any round really. Its just a matter of picking the right one. I mean Rice and Bell were second round picks. Thats looking like the range wed be able to grab Love or Wadley

Not sure how good Nelson is. Guards usually don't go in the first round though unless he's really exceptional. The last one I could think of was zack Martin. I think we can grab a quality guard in the 2nd / 3rd rounds. Pat elflien went 3 picks before our 3rd round selection, and man what he could have done for our offense. Just look at the Vikings now.
If Barkley gets even close to our 1st round pick, I hope Steve biscotti force Ozzie to make some move to secure him for us (just like the whole flacco draft day).
I just hope Ozzie gets aggressive this draft. Make some splash and give me hope please haha.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
My biggest fear would be the Browns drafting Barkley and he runs behind that O-line. We would have to deal with that for the next 4-8 years? Just no.