• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: Cleveland

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Is Langford a capable receiving back? We need speed and he was the fastest back in his class, but on tape his speed was obviously slowly generated, he didn't have that one step acceleration, and I don't recall being impressed with him as a receiver.

God dammit that mizzell cut is killing us right now
Yes, Langford can catch. My main concern with him are fumbles, he had few last season.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Is Garrett expected to play?
Ultimately, we lose this game only if our offense shoots itself in the foot.
I see at least two more interceptions (defensively) on the horizon.
Kizer could make gains early with his legs, Coleman can't be allowed deep but I can't see them running the ball effectively.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Here's how I think it's gonna go:

Marty, and really flacco in general, in the past few years have had a knack for strong opening drives, they fall apart afterwards but I digress.. I think we open up with a TD drive. I don't think clevelands current top ranked run D is any indication, I think their run D will be average at best and I think the bengals had a better chance to shut down our run than they have, so another drive with heavy balance leads to a TD early.

After that, hue wants to stay balanced to keep his rookie qb from getting shellshocked, but they simply won't run the ball on us. They have a far superior OL to Cleveland, but our defense will simply play disciplined and maintain integrity and they don't have the weaponry at rb to break our tackles. After a balanced approach for the first 2-3 drives failing, hue lets kizer go.

Our defense is better than the steelers in every way. we tee off on kizer, hue tries to call some quick release to keep kizer from getting crushed, but he doesn't have the timing aspect down yet and he makes some really poor throws. He gets hit often, he throws a pair of picks in the first half, and they have under 30 yards rushing from rbs. Their only chance is kizer scrambling. Kizer abandons the game plan and tries running a lot, we adjust and play more zone and kizer fails to gain ground yards, he now needs to force throws and throws more picks.

Another 20ish point game with a lot of yards rushing, but I suspect we pass better. The OL may hold up long enough at some point to let a guy slip up downfield and get them either a TD or fg range, but that's all I'll give them. I can't see kizer scoring a red zone TD against us unless it's a late scramble.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Is Garrett expected to play?
Ultimately, we lose this game only if our offense shoots itself in the foot.
I see at least two more interceptions (defensively) on the horizon.
Kizer could make gains early with his legs, Coleman can't be allowed deep but I can't see them running the ball effectively.
I think he is not.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Greg Williams focus will be on an effort to make Joe Flacco beat them through the air.

It is imperative that this offense shows the ability to get deep on teams. Unless that happens, teams will sell out underneath and no matter the defense, our offense will labor.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Greg Williams focus will be on an effort to make Joe Flacco beat them through the air.

It is imperative that this offense shows the ability to get deep on teams. Unless that happens, teams will sell out underneath and no matter the defense, our offense will labor.
I wouldn't try to let QBs test my secondary in one on ones if I had the Browns personnel...

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wouldn't try to let QBs test my secondary in one on ones if I had the Browns personnel...
Williams won't be shy about it. He will do his best to stop the run
and then go after Joe (provided they stop the run).
Joe makes ill advised throws under pressure of late and Williams knows that.

We have three deep threats and at some point he is going to have to show that he can find them deep. I'd like to see a shot on the first series.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Williams won't be shy about it. He will do his best to stop the run
and then go after Joe (provided they stop the run).
Joe makes ill advised throws under pressure of late and Williams knows that.

We have three deep threats and at some point he is going to have to show that he can find them deep. I'd like to see a shot on the first series.
I get your point and it does fit Williams' style, but with what he has right now (a good front seven and a horrific secondary Peppers excepted), getting too agressive will leave his weak spots open and while Joe can make mistakes, quick strikes to Maclin with high YAC should quiet any agressive plays they try to throw at us. I don't think our OL will be beaten by their pass rush so if they want to pressure Joe they'd have to bring in some extra bodies, leaving the middle of the field wide open, something our WR can feast on.

Eventually I think we're going to have to pass it more. I know we want to run the ball a lot but you're not going to win by 17 drop backs a game. You need more balance and I think this game we pass it significantly more. Cleveland's secondary is very suspect and I would like to see us exploit it. I think we get around 30 pass plays which is not even a lot.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I still think we show balance. With our defense playing like this I don't think we ever feel a need to open up the air game. We can keep defenses tired and weak, run down clock, and keep our passing game mysterious, no defense gets a rhythm against our offense and play action threats keep them honest.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes. Here way lay, horrified and mortified by our 1-0 record and amazing defense.

I hated the Mizzell cut too, but it's not likely to be the end of the world. Woodhead's injury is obviously horrible, but I think Buck can more than fill in on screen plays. I remember Langford being a good pass catcher, but he's so horrible in pass protection that I have concerns. Ultimately,I think our real test comes in week four against Pittsburgh. Jacksonville will be tough, but that's a game we should win imo.

The D played an amazing game yesterday. No doubt! But, I'm not about to quickly jump on the bandwagon of the Ravens being such a prolific and dominant team week after week just yet. For me, the one thing that the Ravens have demonstrated the past few seasons more than anything else that warrants my hesitation is that they have been consistently inconsistent.

They can come out and have a performance like yesterday (esp. defensively) against the Bengals and then come out and completely sputter offensively and lay a damn egg against a team like the Browns at home next week. I predict a "W" but I'll hold off on all of this dominating the Browns talk that I'm reading and hearing from fellow Ravens fans.

Last edited:
The D played an amazing game yesterday. No doubt! But, I'm not about to quickly jump on the bandwagon of the Ravens being such a prolific and dominant team week after week just yet. For me, the one thing that the Ravens have demonstrated the past few seasons more than anything else that warrants my hesitation is that they have been consistently inconsistent.

They can come out and have a performance like yesterday (esp. defensively) against the Bengals and then come out and completely sputter offensively and lay a damn egg against a team like the Browns at home next week. I predict a "W" but I'll hold off on all of this dominating the Browns talk that I'm reading and hearing from fellow Ravens fans.
I think it's different this year. Yeah the defense has let us down in the past but there are stoppers all over the field now. We never had the depth we had this year compared to last. I remember a while back when Ozzie was talking about the biggest problem the Ravens have and he didn't say the secondary or the OL. He said it was depth, get as many players who can play no matter at what position and the Ravens have that now.

We got guys who can come in fresh and make plays. That's huge. Even if they are not elite or stars as long as they're not liabilities it can provide so much.
Now, we're going to have players with more energy and more time for adjustments. I think those two factors help a lot when it comes to closing out games and we certainly closed yesterday; didn't even give the Bengals a chance even when they were making plays.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think it's different this year. Yeah the defense has let us down in the past but there are stoppers all over the field now. We never had the depth we had this year compared to last. I remember a while back when Ozzie was talking about the biggest problem the Ravens have and he didn't say the secondary or the OL. He said it was depth, get as many players who can play no matter at what position and the Ravens have that now.

We got guys who can come in fresh and make plays. That's huge. Even if they are not elite or stars as long as they're not liabilities it can provide so much.
Now, we're going to have players with more energy and more time for adjustments. I think those two factors help a lot when it comes to closing out games and we certainly closed yesterday; didn't even give the Bengals a chance even when they were making plays.

I said that the defense could play a awesome game like yesterday and then "offensively" the Ravens could come out and sputter and lay a damn egg from one week to the next. Too much inconsistency with that side of the ball in the past few seasons for me to throw my hat in the ring with them and trust them.

When they show me differently (which I am so hoping that they do) on a consistent basis then I'll think differently about them. Until then, I'm just grateful for the "W" this week and hope that they will play well enough next week to get another win.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Wonder who will be dropped now to bring Collins or Langford from PS

my feeling is that it will be either chris matthews as the last man up on the roster or us putting zadarius on i/r (which obviously i hope is not the case)

Is Langford a capable receiving back? We need speed and he was the fastest back in his class, but on tape his speed was obviously slowly generated, he didn't have that one step acceleration, and I don't recall being impressed with him as a receiver.

God dammit that mizzell cut is killing us right now

i'd say its much more likely to be collins coming up than langford...
and mizzell wont ever see playing time behind tarik cohen if he keeps balling out

Tank

Hall of Famer

Agreed, especially in the depth on the back end. Having the guys that can be depended upon to execute will allow the D to be more aggressive and not just sit back at the end of games and get beat. There's a reason Sizzle was thanking Ozzie yesterday. lol

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
while not having to play vs garret is a relief we need to realize that their offensive line is miles better than cincis. Trettor though will struggle vs pierce big time.

Tank

Hall of Famer
while not having to play vs garret is a relief we need to realize that their offensive line is miles better than cincis. Trettor though will struggle vs pierce big time.

Didn't pburgh have 7(SEVEN) sacks yesterday?