• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Week 1 Edition

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I agree but there are gonna come times when we are gonna have to rely on him to bring us back
The knee injury is healed and it healed last year or he wouldn't have played. However as much as he wouldn't admit, its most likely a mental thing at that point and probably why he wasn't stepping into his throws last season. He did get a little better as the season did progress though.

Last edited:

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
The knee injury is healed and healed last year or he wouldn't have played. However as much as he wouldn't admit, its most likely a mental thing at that point and probably why he wasn't stepping into his throws last season. He did get a little better as the season did progress though.
That and the fact there was no play action to respect, so the defense could rush at will or dtop a lot of players knowing what was coming, resulting in less than ideal situations to throw. Just another reason to keep on running the ball if you needed one. If the running game works like it did last week, Flacco will get a ton of favorable matchups for Maclin or Perriman to take a chance with.

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
It's gonna be a couple weeks at least till we see Flacco making progress in my opinion. I feel like he will show up with his A game for the Steelers games - as bad as her plays against some teams he almost always shows up strong against Pit , especially in recent years.

The pick was a bad throw combined with dumbassery by West.

Running game honestly looked impressive even with the low YPC of like 3.7 I think.

Defense looked great even with obvious room to improve.

I definitely think the bottom of this team is 9-7 after seeing it in action. It is early but I think with our schedule and defense, even if the Offense just plays marginally better than they did Sunday this team will cause problems.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Hey @Truth I'd like to know how did Humphrey fare in his first game, who he was lined up against and which type of coverage was used, as I didn't zero in on him during the game. Could you keep a note on that while you do your breakdown?

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Hey @Truth I'd like to know how did Humphrey fare in his first game, who he was lined up against and which type of coverage was used, as I didn't zero in on him during the game. Could you keep a note on that while you do your breakdown?
If I am remembering correctly, he was on the field for 9 plays and the Bengals ran more than they threw and might not have gained any yards when he was on the field.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Also we'll know which projection the Ravens believe in (4-6 weeks from rapoport or 6-8 weeks from schefter) by whether they i/r him - if it's gonna be anything less than 8 weeks then they don't I/r him...

I tend to think that rapoport is more likely to be right given how on the money he was about flacco when all team sources were saying different

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
Also we'll know which projection the Ravens believe in (4-6 weeks from rapoport or 6-8 weeks from schefter) by whether they i/r him - if it's gonna be anything less than 8 weeks then they don't I/r him...

I tend to think that rapoport is more likely to be right given how on the money he was about flacco when all team sources were saying different
Bingo - I think youre right.

My guess is he'll be back to practicing on a limited basis in 3-4 weeks.... and then its just a matter of how well it responds when hes back on the field how soon after that time frame he'll be able to play.

Just sucks that this is now a recurring injury. Tough to feel confident that when hes back, hes back for good. And also tends to mean with this team that they'll be ULTRA conservative with him, which may or may not be a good thing.

The offense looked dynamic with him in there.

I know Flacco mentioned it, but i was saying immediately after Woodhead went down that they should absolutely just insert Camp into Woodheads role within the game plan. Doesnt matter what hes labeled, hes of similar size and skill set (though a little less bulk). He can carry it 1-2 times to keep em honest and then move him all around to get matchups.

In that role I think Camp could really make a name for himself.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
In that role I think Camp could really make a name for himself.

I think it depends on whether a team matches him up in the backfield with a corner or a safety because if he's matched up with a strong safety (because a team is somehow still worried kinda about the run) then you motion camp out and run that safety around in coverage

But if a team sticks to their guns and essentially has one of their corners essentially matchup with him even from the backfield (essentially play a dimebacker role but as a corner) then I'm not sure schematically it works with camp there unless he proves he can be an effective runner

But teams will assume he can't until he shows otherwise...

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Greg roman can be creative in the backfield, how about a wishbone formation with camp and a true back? It could be a run, or a pass. Camp threatens the sweep, west/buck threaten everything else. If it's a run, send camp for a route anyway, draw a LB. if it's a pass, you got 2 backs who can catch. Draws would work well here, as would misdirection pitches, pump to camp for a fake bubble screen out of the backfield, turn and pitch to west as everyone crashes the fake screen.

Camp could take the role, but not as the only one in the backfield, it simply won't work. But I do think roman would be the guy to make it work.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm somewhat behind the eight-ball as it stands. I came down hard with a bug that I caught on Thursday and I likely a day or two from being back to normal. Sadly, it completely derailed my schedule for the breakdown. I'll see if I can catch up this week, but I also had to miss work, so my work load could keep me occupied as well. My apologies. I'm not a fan of not delivering on my word.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I'm somewhat behind the eight-ball as it stands. I came down hard with a bug that I caught on Thursday and I likely a day or two from being back to normal. Sadly, it completely derailed my schedule for the breakdown. I'll see if I can catch up this week, but I also had to miss work, so my work load could keep me occupied as well. My apologies. I'm not a fan of not delivering on my word.
Oh crap, that sucks for you. Don't worry man, no obligations whatsoever.

The Raven

Veteran
Greg roman can be creative in the backfield, how about a wishbone formation with camp and a true back? It could be a run, or a pass. Camp threatens the sweep, west/buck threaten everything else. If it's a run, send camp for a route anyway, draw a LB. if it's a pass, you got 2 backs who can catch. Draws would work well here, as would misdirection pitches, pump to camp for a fake bubble screen out of the backfield, turn and pitch to west as everyone crashes the fake screen.

Camp could take the role, but not as the only one in the backfield, it simply won't work. But I do think roman would be the guy to make it work.
Eh, I'll pass on the wishbone. It causes the defense to stack the box, and it's too congested to make anything work. Sounds great in theory but three dudes in the backfield is calling for a nine man box.