• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Week 1 Edition

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think he'll rotate with Davis and hopefully Henry in the healthy scratch department. Maybe also with Urban if they feel he's tiring. This is where the depth becomes a huge weapon, when the season goes on and the DL is still fresh.
And Urban was tiring. He pissed me off late in the game on that throwaway 4th down, when Dalton was flushed right Urban had a direct path to Dalton, or at worst he could meet him at the sideline, but he totally gave up about 10 yards away from him, came to a slow jog and then just walked.

Looks like he didn't care about the shutout

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
And Urban was tiring. He pissed me off late in the game on that throwaway 4th down, when Dalton was flushed right Urban had a direct path to Dalton, or at worst he could meet him at the sideline, but he totally gave up about 10 yards away from him, came to a slow jog and then just walked.

Looks like he didn't care about the shutout
He played a lot of snaps though, and he played them well. I can understand that he doesn't have the juice to pursue a QB like Dalton (who at least has some legs) after 3 and a half quarters of steady push of the Bengals OL.

The Raven

Veteran
That is an insane run to pass ratio that will lose us games against the better teams and even some of the not so better teams.
Good thing play calling changes on a game by game basis based on different situations and matchups.

If running the ball 42 times is working and gets you a win, do it.

He played a lot of snaps though, and he played them well. I can understand that he doesn't have the juice to pursue a QB like Dalton (who at least has some legs) after 3 and a half quarters of steady push of the Bengals OL.

Gotta wonder why he was playing so many snaps, are we playing to our strengths with the rotation?

The Raven

Veteran
The Good: The oline's run blocking, the pass rush, the DB play. We moved people off the ball and got positive yardage against 9 man boxes sometimes. Run game was creative and violent. Pass rush was relentless. We didn't always get home but guys like Judon were getting push and making Dalton move. That means something. And the DB play? Physical, tight, and always looking for a turnover.

The Bad: Flacco and maybe the skill positions on offense. Aside from Woodhead and Maclin's nice ass touchdown, I didn't see much from Flacco and the WRs. I'm lumping them together because I can't tell whose fault it was that we couldn't pass the ball.

The Ugly: The run defense. Our pass defense was on fucking point but if it was a closer game the Bengals run offense might've played a bigger role. Correa looked lost against the run and couldn't control a gap or make a good tackle to save his life. Urban got washed out badly a couple times. Now, this might have been by design -- we were clearly shooting gaps and going for Dalton every play, instead of staying at home and minding the gap. We decided to eliminate Dalton instead of the run game and it worked.

My takeaway from this game: Defense and a solid run game is a formula for success, but what happens when the opposing QB doesn't throw four picks and get sacked four times or whatever it was? Will our offense be good enough to pull out games where the other offense isn't dismantled? We can't expect this from the defense every game. Our approach probably would've changed if it were a closer game -- you only run 42 times if it's working or if you're far ahead. But what I saw from the passing game gives me little confidence.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Gotta wonder why he was playing so many snaps, are we playing to our strengths with the rotation?
Urban has been a favourite of mine since last season, so I may be biased here. I think his ability to be equally as good against the run as he is against the pass makes him a huge part of our rotation. He is a staple that we can use on pretty much any down and distance without thinking too much about it. He added smartness and sound play to an already very athletic body, making him an upgraded Lawrence Guy for us. The fact that we have Wormley and Kaufusi waiting just behind him makes it even more pleasant because we won't have to force him on the field.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Urban has been a favourite of mine since last season, so I may be biased here. I think his ability to be equally as good against the run as he is against the pass makes him a huge part of our rotation. He is a staple that we can use on pretty much any down and distance without thinking too much about it. He added smartness and sound play to an already very athletic body, making him an upgraded Lawrence Guy for us. The fact that we have Wormley and Kaufusi waiting just behind him makes it even more pleasant because we won't have to force him on the field.

Thing is Wormley and Kaufusi along with Henry were deactivated and Ricard mainly played on offense except at the end which only left them a 4 man rotation on the line. I would be very surprized if they do this again especially when they was limited in LBers after Smith went down. Also noticed Levine played quite a few snaps as a LB/DB. I just feel if it was a closer game where the other team could still run the ball this would've been a glaring mistake or even an injury on the line but ya know spteams.......

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Thing is Wormley and Kaufusi along with Henry were deactivated and Ricard mainly played on offense except at the end which only left them a 4 man rotation on the line. I would be very surprized if they do this again especially when they was limited in LBers after Smith went down. Also noticed Levine played quite a few snaps as a LB/DB. I just feel if it was a closer game where the other team could still run the ball this would've been a glaring mistake or even an injury on the line but ya know spteams.......
Well it's part of the game, it's just how it is... At some point you can't be sure and some units are going to be thin because of how it's made. Can't really blame the coaching staff. Regarding the ST, it is just absolutely essential to us scoring points this season that we ensure good field position, so a good ST is definitely higher than a reserve DT in the pecking order.

He had a great game but Id be concerned about him playing too many snaps, Suggs too, we need to dress more linemen and keep them all fresh over the season. Henry and Ricard could figure too with Z Smith out and more nickel and dime formations.

I dont know if Kaufusi has his legs back under him yet, he looks heavy and isnt moving as well as he was in college, his length still makes him a factor though. Wormley seems like he might not make the field this year.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
He had a great game but Id be concerned about him playing too many snaps, Suggs too, we need to dress more linemen and keep them all fresh over the season. Henry and Ricard could figure too with Z Smith out and more nickel and dime formations.
Exactly my point. People wonder why we collapsed at the end of last year, look no further. We had Pierce, Williams, Guy, Jernigan and sometimes Urban for the whole season. 5 guys total. That won't cut it. DL exhaust fast. Having such depth will allow us to keep them fresh and dominant throughout the season. Mixed packages are also a way to rotate guys from different positions.

The Raven

Veteran
I dont know if Kaufusi has his legs back under him yet, he looks heavy and isnt moving as well as he was in college, his length still makes him a factor though. Wormley seems like he might not make the field this year.
I get the feeling that Kaufusi has put on some weight since college to be more of an interior guy. He played in the 270-280 range in college. He's listed now at 285 but I wouldn't be surprised if he were heavier than that to bulk up for an interior role. That along with the injury recovery could slow him down.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think it's fair that I point this out...

On the Mosley int, I said we should acknowledge tony jeffersons pancake block...

I was wrong, it was far from a pancake block, too much excitement...

However, a safety laid a lead block on a guard and got a lot of push

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
The Bad: Flacco and maybe the skill positions on offense. Aside from Woodhead and Maclin's nice ass touchdown, I didn't see much from Flacco and the WRs. I'm lumping them together because I can't tell whose fault it was that we couldn't pass the ball.
The way this line broke made it seem like a very different statement at first

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Now all that's on my mind is the status for ZDS and Woody. Both could have huge seasons for us if it's not too big. It's sad because ZDS really had turned it around this offseason and I love how he was used.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Tremendous coverage discipline and film prep in the red zone.
If this were 2016 Dalton finds Eifert on one of those possessions.

Just no one open down there.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Good: Maclin's catch and run for a TD. DEFENSE! DEFENSE! DEFENSE!

Bad: The opening drive ending with a FG instead of a TD! SMH!

Ugly:

Joe's pass behind West and his tipping the ball up in the air for the INT!

ANDY DALTON! ANDY DALTON! ANDY DALTON!

Last edited: