• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Bad, and the Browns: Week 2 Edition

Yeah, maybe he wasn't going anywhere, but regardless the drops are most concerning as that was the knock on him coming out of college. Can he shake the board hands? The longer it doesn't happen I'm afraid it's less likely he will.

Kinda the same goes for Wallace. The same things are happening with him as they have been since he's been here. He often just looks lost and disinterested.

Joe is going to improve as the season progresses, no doubt. I hope the same holds true for Perriman and Wallace.

I definitely think Perriman and Wallace improve, it's just a matter of time of when Joe can put his trust into his receivers. I don't know what you're referring to in terms of Mike Wallace being lost and disinterested since him being here. I never heard that being an issue from anyone.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I definitely think Perriman and Wallace improve, it's just a matter of time of when Joe can put his trust into his receivers. I don't know what you're referring to in terms of Mike Wallace being lost and disinterested since him being here. I never heard that being an issue from anyone.
Maybe often was the wrong adverb, more like sometimes. There have been instances where it looks like Mike is half stepping, not giving 100%.

Weddle has been in the right place at the right time though and he has never been really that fast.... He is more smart and knows how to read defenses. Webb had 1 blown coverage I believe when watching and maybe more I would have to rewatch. He is still a good signing for depth, but he probably is the weakest point of the Ravens team right now in the slot. But man Humphrey is looking good and quick still once he gets his feet wet I am excited. I would not be surprised to see him potentially starting in a few games.

You still need to break and close on the ball carrier quickly, thats what Weddle is slowly losing. The postives still outweigh the negatives just pointing out the age factor.

Also Perriman and Wallace are making me miss Torrey. I guess drawing flags is a skill after all.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think the next few weeks will determine how the wideouts are - Jax's linebackers will sit in the zone and close down those short routes and force us to beat them outside the numbers and throw at aj bouye and Jalen Ramsey - our receivers will have to run more routes and joe will be forced to find them because telvin smith is absolutely lightning around the field and our rbs and short routes by tight ends will struggle to get much after the catch

The good: Play calling, Flacco's zip on the ball, collective work of RBs, not fucking up clock mgmt and getting 7, run D and ball hawking
The BAD: Yanda ... no point in saying anything else here - it deserves this line all to itself
The ugly: Giving up chunk plays on D, performance of any wideout not named Maclin

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I swear to god if Ozzie doesn't retool the oline in the offseason...

This whole board would be in total meltdown if Ozzie doesn't address o-line. However, I don't think that'll be the case. I believe this offseason will be offense-oriented.

On the bright side, next season when Tavon comes back. This defense will be even better. We can actually rush the passer this year and have a compentent secondary.
"But Lost the yardage sucks and we gave up long turnovers".

2. Bring pressure on the QB. Suggs has turned back the clock, and we have Bowser(who can fucking fly), Williams, and Judon along the edges along with Pierce and Urban who are solid at bringing pressure up the middle. Combine this pass rush with a good secondary(that played well btw) and you have yourself a great passsing defense.

Don't forget ZDS if he can bring it together as well. You know what they say, you can never have too many pass-rushers.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This whole board would be in total meltdown if Ozzie doesn't address o-line. However, I don't think that'll be the case. I believe this offseason will be offense-oriented.

Don't forget ZDS if he can bring it together as well. You know what they say, you can never have too many pass-rushers.

i really hope we have all 5 pass rushers active this week - part of it was b williams injury but we used so many 1 dl alignments in dime this week with 3 rush linebackers, mosley, levine, 5 dbs and either urban/pierce and dime has been where we've caused 6 our 10 turnovers so far this year i think... (i think filmstudy has the exact numbers)

i was pleased with how bowser and williams progressed as edge rushers this week and add that to suggs and judon and hopefully zadarius continues how he started (and takes a lot of the middle rush linebacker spot that judon and bowser did a bit of this week) where he dominated for the first few snaps he played vs the bengals

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
The thing I was most impressed with wasn't the defense or the five turnovers (I expect 5 turnovers a game now), but how balanced our offense was. History has shown that The Ravens win football games by playing tough defense and being balanced on offense. I like this Joe Flacco.

34 pass attempts
32 rushing attempts

That, ladies and gentlemen, is a recipe for success. That's absolutely all we need from Flacco.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
It seems like Perriman is shaping up to be a true bust. And Wallace is looking like he either doesn't know WTF he is doing or is just giving up at times. Our "crack WR" group is shaping up to be our WR crew on crack lol, save for Maclin.

2 things:

1st....I couldn't agree with you more about Perriman. Dude has bricks for hands. Smh!

2nd...This is why I NEVER bought into all of this, "these are the best weapons Flacco has ever had" talk. Although Maclin has been ballin' where the hell is Wallace and Perriman? You just NEVER know what these cats are going to be from week to week. Glad Watson showed up!

Maybe often was the wrong adverb, more like sometimes. There have been instances where it looks like Mike is half stepping, not giving 100%.
I don't know, I recall him getting endless separation in the pre-season and completely burning opposing QBs all while getting inaccurate throws by Ryan Mallet. Wallace looked the same as he did a year ago.

I honestly think people need to pump the brakes. Even looking at Jeremy Maclin, I can't honestly say that he's been burning the competition, Ben Watson in this one game has more yards and receptions then Maclin has in his first two games. Maclin honestly could legit be one of the league leaders in yards with the separation that he's getting, it's just the lack of trust that Joe has in his receivers. I'm really confident that this group is going to improve immensely as the season progresses.

People don't realize this but this is Joe's first time ever missing all of training camp and pre-season. I'm sure once he gets the chemistry down with his receivers things will improve immensely.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not that I had much faith in perriman as i said when we drafted him he not only had stone hands and bad routes, he never had the ''IT'' factor. His mentality..he isn't aggressive and doesn't have the mental strength to be a number 1 reciever

at this rate he wont even be a bad number 2

rossihunter2

Staff Member
In darker moments I do wonder about what the team would look like if we picked Perryman or Darby or Byron jones or McKinney or jalen Collins or any number of rbs/wrs... in stead of breshad...

Looking back at the 2015 draft I've actually noticed a couple of things: people wondering why there's been a lot of defensive slug fests so far just need to look at the talent distribution in the last few drafts especially in the trenches - the volume and talent of defensive lineman in particular far exceeds the talent and depth of offensive linemen coming out of college and 2015-2017 have been very defense-led drafts

Off the back of that the other thing I noticed is that very few offensive linemen have turned into anything at all from that draft class - in fact the best lineman in that draft is la'el collins and it's not even close (not completely surprising but the gap between him and most of the others is weird)

Tank

Hall of Famer
I don't know, I recall him getting endless separation in the pre-season and completely burning opposing QBs all while getting inaccurate throws by Ryan Mallet. Wallace looked the same as he did a year ago.

I honestly think people need to pump the brakes. Even looking at Jeremy Maclin, I can't honestly say that he's been burning the competition, Ben Watson in this one game has more yards and receptions then Maclin has in his first two games. Maclin honestly could legit be one of the league leaders in yards with the separation that he's getting, it's just the lack of trust that Joe has in his receivers. I'm really confident that this group is going to improve immensely as the season progresses.

People don't realize this but this is Joe's first time ever missing all of training camp and pre-season. I'm sure once he gets the chemistry down with his receivers things will improve immensely.
Yeah, I have to say even though Wallace had decent #s last year to me he looked less than stellar and at times just lost. Has zero to do with Joe's "rust", just my view of his play since becoming a Raven.

Yeah, I have to say even though Wallace had decent #s last year to me he looked less than stellar and at times just lost. Has zero to do with Joe's "rust", just my view of his play since becoming a Raven.

You really think Joe's rust has zero to do with it? I mean Maclin even admitted the chemistry between Joe and the receivers isn't quite there yet and even Joe admitted himself that he has work to do on that end. Its why he was a little upset after the Browns game. I think Mike Wallace being lost can't be attributed to anything outside of his lack of chemistry with Joe. He's very familiar with the playbook and was able to anticipate when the pass was arriving on nearly every route last season.

Tank

Hall of Famer
You really think Joe's rust has zero to do with it? I mean Maclin even admitted the chemistry between Joe and the receivers isn't quite there yet and even Joe admitted himself that he has work to do on that end. Its why he was a little upset after the Browns game. I think Mike Wallace being lost can't be attributed to anything outside of his lack of chemistry with Joe. He's very familiar with the playbook and was able to anticipate when the pass was arriving on nearly every route last season.
What I said and mean is that it has zero to do with how I feel about Mike Wallace. Again, I think he is a talented player with huge big play potential that just can't be depended upon to be giving it his all 100% of the time. This opinion wasn't formed after two games of the 2017 season, rather all of his time in Bmore and has nothing to do with any lack of chemistry between him and Joe.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
i really hope we have all 5 pass rushers active this week - part of it was b williams injury but we used so many 1 dl alignments in dime this week with 3 rush linebackers, mosley, levine, 5 dbs and either urban/pierce and dime has been where we've caused 6 our 10 turnovers so far this year i think... (i think filmstudy has the exact numbers)

i was pleased with how bowser and williams progressed as edge rushers this week and add that to suggs and judon and hopefully zadarius continues how he started (and takes a lot of the middle rush linebacker spot that judon and bowser did a bit of this week) where he dominated for the first few snaps he played vs the bengals

Indeed. It's really exciting that we're seeing glimpses of their (Bowser and T. Will) greatness two games into the season. That boy Bowser is fast. Much needed speed.

The thing I was most impressed with wasn't the defense or the five turnovers (I expect 5 turnovers a game now), but how balanced our offense was. History has shown that The Ravens win football games by playing tough defense and being balanced on offense. I like this Joe Flacco.

34 pass attempts
32 rushing attempts

That, ladies and gentlemen, is a recipe for success. That's absolutely all we need from Flacco.

I've been a huge advocate of balance (literally how I play in Madden lol). There were times in the game I felt we were getting a tad bit predictable on offense. Hopefully, this isn't a sign of things to come.

What I said and mean is that it has zero to do with how I feel about Mike Wallace. Again, I think he is a talented player with huge big play potential that just can't be depended upon to be giving it his all 100% of the time. This opinion wasn't formed after two games of the 2017 season, rather all of his time in Bmore and has nothing to do with any lack of chemistry between him and Joe.

I personally think that evaluation is simply a matter of opinions. I have never heard about that when it comes to Mike Wallace joining the team. If that was the case you would hear coaches alluding to it and the media reporting it.
From this stand point, it makes no sense to me as to why he wouldn't be giving 100%. He's on a team where his production would be at it's peak, playing for a playoff contender, all while playing for a good contract. It would make sense if he was on the Bengals or Browns, but it makes no sense to me as to why Mike Wallace just doesn't want to give any effort. He wants to be apart of this team and went as far as take a shot at his former teammate(Bridgewater) to make it known. He very likely turned down money to come here and if he wasn't 100% into it then he probably would've went for the money.