• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Bad, and the Browns: Week 2 Edition

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
btw as much as harbaugh goes into his brainwashed god preacher mode, he knows we are 1 more big injury away from being totally irrelevant, in truth much of the optimism has left. we have lost too many good players too early and we WILL lose more, anyone who thinks we wont lose a key player or more in the next 6 weeks is in la la land.

our depth is destroyed.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
So, I am no longer optimistic just because of what we do next offseasn. I'll be optimistic if we can reach week 4 healthy. So all the hype can be thrown out the window . Whats the point of hyping a team if the players are not avallable?

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Weddle and Webb are both slowing down with age
Weddle has been in the right place at the right time though and he has never been really that fast.... He is more smart and knows how to read defenses. Webb had 1 blown coverage I believe when watching and maybe more I would have to rewatch. He is still a good signing for depth, but he probably is the weakest point of the Ravens team right now in the slot. But man Humphrey is looking good and quick still once he gets his feet wet I am excited. I would not be surprised to see him potentially starting in a few games.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Weddle has been in the right place at the right time though and he has never been really that fast.... He is more smart and knows how to read defenses. Webb had 1 blown coverage I believe when watching and maybe more I would have to rewatch. He is still a good signing for depth, but he probably is the weakest point of the Ravens team right now in the slot. But man Humphrey is looking good and quick still once he gets his feet wet I am excited. I would not be surprised to see him potentially starting in a few games.
Carr is playing far too well for Humphrey to start

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Kansas city brandon carr was elite. I was worried he was way removed from his prime..he obviously isnt the player he was at KC but he's def better than the likes of wright and powers.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
btw as much as harbaugh goes into his brainwashed god preacher mode, he knows we are 1 more big injury away from being totally irrelevant, in truth much of the optimism has left. we have lost too many good players too early and we WILL lose more, anyone who thinks we wont lose a key player or more in the next 6 weeks is in la la land.

our depth is destroyed.

So, I am no longer optimistic just because of what we do next offseasn. I'll be optimistic if we can reach week 4 healthy. So all the hype can be thrown out the window . Whats the point of hyping a team if the players are not avallable?

Lol, you were never optimistic.

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
The Good: Two weeks in a row the Ravdns beat two inferior teams by a margin two touchdowns or more. The offense and defense have room to improve but seem to show the killer instinct to close out games when they have the lead, something no Ravens team has had for a long time. The offense isn't as explosive as we wouldn't like but it is efficient at moving the chains and chewing up game clock.

More specifically , I like all of our running backs. Idk if one has the total package to be the bonefide "starter" or number 1 back but they have different styles and strengths and compliment each other well, and make defenses have to prepare for each one. There's a certain unpredictability to our rushing attack, and the added bonus of Max Williams and Campanaro having some carries is also intriguing.

The Good and Bad: Only time will tell with our receivers. Maclin looks as promised and already getting in sync with Flacco, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that Maclin more consistently wins at the LOS and is better at getting open. Other than completions to running backs, I think all of Flaccos completions went to Watson and Maclin, with maybe a couple more to Williams and I can't remember if Wallace maybe had one. Wallace and Flacco clearly aren't on the same page anymore, and Perriman almost looks like he's regressed.

But I'm willing to give a little time to this unit, as they've all missed time with Flacco, and Perriman missed time as well. Hopefully he security blanket of Watson with Maclin playing well and all of our running backs playing a role in the passing game will give the passing game time to get in sync and more fully incorporate all of its components. But if we don't see progress by mid season, I'll be calling people out. Regardless, Id like to see Camp play some more.

The secondary and our pass rush is hard to grade. On one hand they gave up some huge plays and at times gave the Browns Qbs lots of time to throw. On the other hand on numerous plays they sacked and hit the quarterback while also coming up with five turnovers. So.... idk? There's good and bad, but I'm willing to be an optimist and say if they work on what went wrong this defense will only get better, which is a funny thing to say about a defense that's already setting records.

The Bad: The only bad things yesterday were the interception and fumble. The interception was a miscommunication between Wallace and Flacco as Wallace stopped when Flacco didn't think he should. Flacco made some post game comments about thinking they had the look they wanted but that he was also being a little too aggressive... not sure if that means it was his fault or if he was just not trying to pin the blame on Mike. The fumble was just bad, no excuse for it. Collins did have an impressive 6.0 average YPC but he'll need to hold on to the ball if he wants to continue to flash his very aggressive and effective running game.

The ugly: Injuries. Count me as one of the few who wonder if paying Brandon Williams was worth it. Not because he's a bad player but because we needed offensive lineman more in my opinion. But this stems back to my completely different view about how the team should be built that just isn't something Ozzie will ever do. Anyways, it's clear that while the line finished with a good performance, we will need to add at least some depth on the next week to our offensive line, or maybe even trade for an upgrade to start immediately. We might be able to overcome the injury to Yanda but it's a major blow, and while I don't think it'll cost us our playoff chances, I think it does hurt the idea of us being true Super Bowl contenders. Some have hinted to the idea that Yanda could return for the playoffs, but I haven't read anything to convince me that it's a real possibility vs a grasping at a glimmer of hope.

I thought this game would be closer, so I guess I have to say I'm a little impressed, but also the Browns Qb play did help us out a lot. I still believe this is a 10-6 football team, 9-7 being the bottom and 11-5 being our ceiling. The next three weeks honestly will bring more clarity. Traveling to London to come back against the Steelers will be tough, and the Raiders the following week at their home turf. My gut feeling is we will beat the Jags, but I don't see us winning against Oakland. The Steelers game is a toss up because we are at home but I never underestimate the Steelers.

The Steelers game and even the Jags game to a lesser extent will be good tests to gauge the progress of the offense, and the Oakland game might be the toughest test our defense gets all year. If we head into Oakland at 4-0 and drop a game to Oakland but have a strong showing, I'll be swayed into raising this teams ceiling perhaps.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Honestly at this point it's looking like we should've let Wallace walk after last season and saved money. Chris Moore would have the same impact lmao

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Honestly at this point it's looking like we should've let Wallace walk after last season and saved money. Chris Moore would have the same impact lmao
We need to give the Flacco more time with Wallace, Maclin and Perriman before stating this. Chemistry shouldn't be underrated and they are still trying to get on the same page. I'm hoping the chemistry improves from week to week, but missing 6 weeks was a very big deal.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Carr is playing far too well for Humphrey to start
I meant as the starting slot cornerback. I know he would be better on the outside but idk how Carr would be in the slot (probably not great). Webb seems to have lost a step and I think that is why he was better at safety last season than he has looked so far this year despite his 2 interceptions.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
We need to give the Flacco more time with Wallace, Maclin and Perriman before stating this. Chemistry shouldn't be underrated and they are still trying to get on the same page. I'm hoping the chemistry improves from week to week, but missing 6 weeks was a very big deal.
They've done enough so far to win games because of that defense but it will be interesting going against a team that can score. That week 4 game against Pittsburgh I think the offense will definitely need to step up. Most our passing yards is through backs and tight ends where are the wide receivers.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I meant as the starting slot cornerback. I know he would be better on the outside but idk how Carr would be in the slot (probably not great). Webb seems to have lost a step and I think that is why he was better at safety last season than he has looked so far this year despite his 2 interceptions.
Humphrey isn't at his best when in the slot though. I'd rather see Hill get freaking healthy and be this years Tavon and have Humphrey just share outside snaps

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Humphrey isn't at his best when in the slot though. I'd rather see Hill get freaking healthy and be this years Tavon and have Humphrey just share outside snaps
Until Hill gets healthy and plays I would wait to throw him in there. Humphrey's strength isn't the slot but the amount of times yesterday that Webb had a blown coverage or was too slow to hang with a wide receiver irritated me enough. I don't think Humphrey would've had as many miscues. We wouldn't know unless he was there. I'm more excited for Canaday to come back. This roster is deep at CB.

I think Perriman has flat out dropped the last 4 or 5 balls thrown to him. Right? While I agree it's too soon to truly label him a bust he surely isn't headed in the right direction. And Wallace just pulling up on routes is getting old, he did it last year as well. Just seems like he's not going 100% and often not aware of what is going on. While his big play potential remains, I would expect more from him. Maclin seems to have quickly fallen right into place.

Most of those passes Joe threw to him really were not going to go anywhere. Even if Perriman caught those balls he wasn't going anywhere because the LB was always there on the slant. I've noticed that on a slant a LB is always quick to him, he's also just not getting much 1v1 opportunities because teams know about his speed.

Mike Wallace definitely pulled up on his route and that's not something that cannot be disputed. Joe simply didn't know where Wallace was going on his route nor did he know when he was going to reach the top of his route. After that INT Joe just couldn't trust where Mike was going.

Once Perriman went down for the entire Preseason and then Flacco too I figured it would be similar to last year's start offensively.

It irritated me when Flacco said something about chemistry is overblown because last year we saw first hand WRs running routes and Flacco throwing to different places.

I need to re-watch it but I really don't remember Wallace being targeted outside of the one catch.

Joe has no trust in where his receivers are going. He had Perriman and Wallace open plenty of times but he just couldn't trust where they were going and I can't blame him for that. With that said sometimes you just got to take a chance on it if the opportunity is there and pray that your receivers knows where the QB is throwing it and the timing of it as well.

Personally, I think Perriman and Wallace are bound to ball out soon. Same with Maclin, he's going to take off. They just need more time with Joe. Ben Watson's emergence was truly special because I firmly believe he's going to be a big time player for this team.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Most of those passes Joe threw to him really were not going to go anywhere. Even if Perriman caught those balls he wasn't going anywhere because the LB was always there on the slant. I've noticed that on a slant a LB is always quick to him, he's also just not getting much 1v1 opportunities because teams know about his speed.

Mike Wallace definitely pulled up on his route and that's not something that cannot be disputed. Joe simply didn't know where Wallace was going on his route nor did he know when he was going to reach the top of his route. After that INT Joe just couldn't trust where Mike was going.
I was going to say this lol while Perriman had one noticeable drop.... None of the other times he was going to go anywhere. I feel like Wallace the past two seasons has had some of those miscommunication errors with Flacco but I think he rebounds. The team just hasn't really needed to target its wideouts yet with easy dump offs getting first downs and it has been efficient.

Tank

Hall of Famer

Yeah, maybe he wasn't going anywhere, but regardless the drops are most concerning as that was the knock on him coming out of college. Can he shake the board hands? The longer it doesn't happen I'm afraid it's less likely he will.

Kinda the same goes for Wallace. The same things are happening with him as they have been since he's been here. He often just looks lost and disinterested.

Joe is going to improve as the season progresses, no doubt. I hope the same holds true for Perriman and Wallace.

I was going to say this lol while Perriman had one noticeable drop.... None of the other times he was going to go anywhere. I feel like Wallace the past two seasons has had some of those miscommunication errors with Flacco but I think he rebounds. The team just hasn't really needed to target its wideouts yet with easy dump offs getting first downs and it has been efficient.

The Ravens are playing it safe with the receivers and seem to just go for those simple slant and flat routes. Nothing really special out there. We haven't seen much dig, out or post routes from any of these guys as of yet. They're just playing it safe until Flacco can get the chemistry down with these guys. Maclin openly admitted that it's not there yet so we just need to be patient. With Yanda out though, these receivers need to be able to get open quickly.

It's just a matter of time between Perriman/Wallace, they've been getting open but Joe still doesn't have the confidence to let It go. Him admitting it is a good sign, I think we'll see much more from Perriman/Wallace next week vs Jacksonville.