• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Music Thread

K-Dog

MVP
Or obscure rock maybe? Ever listen to White Trash? 90's band.

LOVE this song.

Which is saying something, because in this 40 something's opinion much of the 90's were a low point for music.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Or obscure rock maybe? Ever listen to White Trash? 90's band.

I have not.
some of the musicians/composers I've been into includes
Guiellrmo Klein, Ralph Towner, DeBussy, Bill Frisell, Brian Blade Fellowship, Poulenc, Thelonious Monk, Michael Hedges....could go on. Have you heard?

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
LOVE this song.

Which is saying something, because in this 40 something's opinion much of the 90's were a low point for music.

If I remember they were also known as New York White Trash. I liked these guys and Mr Bigg back in the day.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I have not.
some of the musicians/composers I've been into includes
Guiellrmo Klein, Ralph Towner, DeBussy, Bill Frisell, Brian Blade Fellowship, Poulenc, Thelonious Monk, Michael Hedges....could go on. Have you heard?
Oh, jazz. Not so much lately, but I recognize a few that you list. Some of my old favorites, Stanley Clarke, Jeff Beck, Crusaders, Larry Carlton, anyone Billy Cobham played with.....

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Oh, jazz. Not so much lately, but I recognize a few that you list. Some of my old favorites, Stanley Clarke, Jeff Beck, Crusaders, Larry Carlton, anyone Billy Cobham played with.....
Only Monk ( of the names I mentioned), would I consider "jazz".
Certainly not DeBussy or Poulenc or Astor Piazzolla.

Jeff Beck, who you mentioned, is really interesting to me....when he is on, he is an extremely pure improvisor whose voice instumentally feels not unlike a human voice. Quite rare.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Only Monk ( of the names I mentioned), would I consider "jazz".
Certainly not DeBussy or Poulenc or Astor Piazzolla.

Jeff Beck, who you mentioned, is really interesting to me....when he is on, he is an extremely pure improvisor whose voice instumentally feels not unlike a human voice. Quite rare.

I would consider Jeff Beck more blues than jazz.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I really don't think you could classify him in any one genre. His early stuff was rock heavily influenced by the blues, and then he went into a jazz/rock fusion mode for most of his career. But he can and has played anything including blues. All his solo stuff not withstanding, I really enjoy his work on Mick Jagger's solo album "She's the Boss". Here's a cut from that album.

Last edited:

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's definitely a largely pentatonic vocabulary but the stuff I've heard stays closer to a rock style fusion. Certainly not jazz.

So far as rock guys go he's pretty great. I'll take 1 Jeff Beck to 5 million Santanas....there's just no comparison.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's definitely a largely pentatonic vocabulary but the stuff I've heard stays closer to a rock style fusion. Certainly not jazz.

So far as rock guys go he's pretty great. I'll take 1 Jeff Beck to 5 million Santanas....there's just no comparison.

Idk bro Santana is mean on the guitar.

Tank

Hall of Famer

5 million is a little steep! Yeah, Santana is definitely not as technically accomplished but he is a showman in his own right and always has a great group of players with him. His style is more about tone and rhythm. If you've never seen him live you really should try before he's done. The sound and energy coming off the stage is unmatched,

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Santana is vastly vastly overrated. Hasn't really had anything to say musically for a very very long time.
Isn't a composer. Has extremely limited vocabulary both in terms of voicings and lines. Isn't truly improvising but instead rehashes tired phrasing.
There are guys on your street who have more to say and who play better.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
He is indeed. Put PRS on the map. Grew up listening to him. As a guy who's been playing guitar for 15 years, he's a massive influence.

But sorry @Tank Jeff Beck helped Stevie Wonder write Superstition, which while I really like Santana, is easily better than anything Santana has ever written... Or most people have written(I'm a sucker for Stevie Wonder. Basically anything with him is automatically in my playlist).

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I can play a few chords on the ukulele. @SepticeyePoe. Guitar in college= instant girls. Literally..... I wish I knew why since I'm only decent.

To change the subject. Does anyone have any massive guilty pleasures that they'd like to admit to having...

No... Mine isn't nickeback....

Okay so here goes mine... I'm legit ashamed of some of these.

Hinder- Lips of an angel.
Basically the entire first album by Maroon five.
Half of Taylor Swift's Country Stuff(her pop stuff is total ass. But for whatever reason whenever I bust out an acoustic guitar with my friends they want me to play fucking Taylor Swift... So I at least make it good Taylor Swift).
I want it that way- backstreet boy(I sang this at a wedding once as a joke. Got a kick out of it)
Ed Sheeran-photograph
Ed Sheeran-Castle on the Hill(sometimes. I have to be in the right mood).
Most of Sara Barellis' music. Except for Brave because let's be real: that song sucks. Uncharted is her best album(I have a thing for girls who play the Piano... Sue me). Also Sweet As Whole is one of the best songs ever written
December 1963, The Four Seasons(not gonna lie though. This is one of my favorite songs ever)
Peter Pan-Kelsea Ballerini(if you've ever actually read Peter Pan, this song is actually fucking genius)
Chicken Fried-Zac Brown Band(bigger Garth Brooks fan. Not a fan of other things)
Kenny Loggins.. Just no further explanation needed. He's genius.
I honestly like you, so I won't bring to the hellish depthes of 2000 french rnb music that I can't unlike (because I'm that sort of person that enjoys ruinning a party).

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Every weekend or so, my family will get together for dinner with my grandparents, and after dinner we'll play music together. I play the guitar, my mom and brother (and occasionally my uncle) play the ukulele, my grandfather plays the mandolin, and my grandmother sings. We don't usually play anything too difficult, but it's fun playing together.