• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: Pittsburgh

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Wowzer. Gonna take a herculean effort from whoever will be on the field Sunday. We've beaten them many times when they were the favorites. Time to defend the Bank boys!
Even without Ben it takes a Herculean effort. We play in a historically tight division..

And I wouldn't have it any other way. Let's kick their ass.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
As crazy as it sounds, I don't disagree with Pees to a certain extent. Our defense did stuff their run game and manage to get off the field. We failed to execute when it matters most. BMoreBird said this an I absolutely agree, Jacksonville executed on all levels offensively and came in with a great game-plan, sometimes we need to recognize that these guys are all professionals. Our great past defenses weren't always great in every game they played. 2011 defense put up some bad performances sometimes and that was a really good defense. I really think this unit is going to come back from this and get it together, they're too talented.

That's why I'm not getting too down after one horrid performance from our defense, but man do they need to play with a must-win mindset. I do not seeing us winning next week in OAK so dropping to 2-3 we'll be a damn near death sentence for any Wild Card implications giving how tight the AFC West and, to a lesser extent, South are.

I already have no faith in the offense to do much, but please, I don't want this to be a pattern with our defense as well.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
That's why I'm not getting too down after one horrid performance from our defense, but man do they need to play with a must-win mindset. I do not seeing us winning next week in OAK so dropping to 2-3 we'll be a damn near death sentence for any Wild Card implications giving how tight the AFC West and, to a lesser extent, South are.

I already have no faith in the offense to do much, but please, I don't want this to be a pattern with our defense as well.

I believe Brandon Williams is more important than many believe. I just seen no inside push against Jax and if he's out we in deep doodoo.

I personally expect our defense to be refueled and energized soon. I think this unit is going to finish much better than people think. I personally just believe we're too talented and too great to falter like this. I predict that they get it together sooner rather than later and will finish in the top 3 overall, after thinking about it, I'm confident that they will get better, I do believe that the losses of Williams and Urban will hurt but I think once Williams comes back we're going to improve dramatically. The Ravens defense usually gets better as the season progresses.

The offense can still be a solid, even good unit, but my confidence that it will get there is dead and that's because my confidence in Joe has died down, it's just my opinion and I respect Joe's fire in his press conference but I don't agree with the idea that the offense started out good before Jacksonville because before that game we were in the bottom of the league in terms of yards gain and yards passing. I think our receivers managed about 55 yards total in two games, that's really bad. While they put up 13 points, the Ravens defense managed 5 turnovers in Cincinnati, 5 turnovers and 20 points isn't really that impressive not to mention they managed a turn over in Cincinnati's territory which led to the Terrence West run. You give the Patriots, Packers, Chiefs, or even the Steelers five turnovers and they will run you off the field. I don't think the offense has been good at all, at their very best they've been decent.

You just have to get your receivers involved, you're not going to win anything if they're catching 2 passes a game for 20 yards total as a unit, that's beyond atrocious.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I believe Brandon Williams is more important than many believe. I just seen no inside push against Jax and if he's out we in deep doodoo.
And it's not only about that inside push. Numbers game on the line - I never see him in one on one plays, he's mostly double and sometimes triple-teamed. that's a lot of beef occupied, leaving space for others to press on back or QB.

RavensDFan

Veteran
Okay, okay, okay!

My being totally pissed off at the Ravens offense and defense for EMBARRASSING the hell out of me in that beat down by Bortles and the damn Jaguars in front of all of my friends and family members who know that I'm a diehard Ravens fan is FINALLY starting to subside today! My wife and I are getting our gear together and we'll be heading up to Maryland from Chesapeake, VA tomorrow morning to hang out with our daughter who lives there for a few days prior to our attending the Ravens vs Steelers game.

I NEED the Ravens to avenge themselves, their families and "ME"...and...well....you guys/gals that are also Ravens fans:D by dropping these BUMS at M&T in dominant fashion. Use it to send a message to the rest of the league and the media that last week was a fluke and that the Ravens ARE NOT a "middle of the pack" kind of team but one to fear and avoid!

GO RAVENS!!
Did you just call for a ....breakout game? without actually using the word? :p

I hold no expectations for this Sunday. But we'd better pummel these Steelers.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

No doubt. And to think people were legit pissed that we re-signed him. Glad we did and I really hope he can play Sunday.

I personally expect our defense to be refueled and energized soon. I think this unit is going to finish much better than people think. I personally just believe we're too talented and too great to falter like this. I predict that they get it together sooner rather than later and will finish in the top 3 overall, after thinking about it, I'm confident that they will get better, I do believe that the losses of Williams and Urban will hurt but I think once Williams comes back we're going to improve dramatically. The Ravens defense usually gets better as the season progresses.

The offense can still be a solid, even good unit, but my confidence that it will get there is dead and that's because my confidence in Joe has died down, it's just my opinion and I respect Joe's fire in his press conference but I don't agree with the idea that the offense started out good before Jacksonville because before that game we were in the bottom of the league in terms of yards gain and yards passing. I think our receivers managed about 55 yards total in two games, that's really bad. While they put up 13 points, the Ravens defense managed 5 turnovers in Cincinnati, 5 turnovers and 20 points isn't really that impressive not to mention they managed a turn over in Cincinnati's territory which led to the Terrence West run. You give the Patriots, Packers, Chiefs, or even the Steelers five turnovers and they will run you off the field. I don't think the offense has been good at all, at their very best they've been decent.

You just have to get your receivers involved, you're not going to win anything if they're catching 2 passes a game for 20 yards total as a unit, that's beyond atrocious.
The fact that this is a home game against THE hated rival should energize this whole team. After watching the preseason, I had this defense ranked no worse than 5th when it's all said and done. Whether if you're a fan of Harbs or not, if there's one thing he does well is motivating his team and what better time than now. This team has too much pride to go out like bitches this early in the season. I refuse to believe it. Now with the loss of Urban, will Willie Henry be active? What about Wormley? I'm sure Davis has to get some snaps somewhere.

As for the offense, I've always said this about Flacco: give him a solid o-line (which this line is not) and solid weapons (which we have) and we will witness more glimpses of Playoff Joe in the regular season than we're accustomed to. Don't give him a solid o-line? Expect to see numbers kinda similar to his dreadful 2013 season. It'd also be nice to see a Perriman make a play or two. I wonder if this is the week where we really start to open the playbook on both sides of the ball. Given that this rivalry has been full of "one-possession" games, the special teams unit is gonna be critical.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

If he said it without saying it, that's as close to a breakout as you are going to get from @Militant X 1

LMAOOOOOO, the only breakout Mili will have is a breakout of rage from seeing that word too many times.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Now you definitely know me better than that! :D My wife and I are in Maryland here at our daughter's home. We're driving up to Baltimore in the morning. I'm excited to see our Ravens "LIVE" once again and look forward to seeing them right that wrong from last week. What better team for them to do that against than the squealers and at home?

I'll admit that this last loss has been really tough on me. So, I've been working extremely hard (mentally....lol) this week to get past the STING and the EMBARRASSMENT of losing to Blake Bortles and the Jaguars (a loss that is forever in the record books and now a part of Ravens history) so that I can give them (defense...and yes....the offense too) my full support on Sunday.

If he said it without saying it, that's as close to a breakout as you are going to get from @Militant X 1

:D:D

The last time cats in here used that sickening "breakout" term....the Ravens got skull dragged and curb stomped 44-7 by the Jaguars. Hopefully, those that love that despicable term will chill out with its usage from here on out and just "HOPE" that the Ravens players can play well in back to back to back games instead of shining in one and then disappearing in the next 2-3 games.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Now you definitely know me better than that! :D

My wife and I are in Maryland here at our daughter's home. We're driving up to Baltimore in the morning. I'm excited to see our Ravens "LIVE" once again and look forward to seeing them right that wrong from last week. What better team for them to do that against than the squealers and at home? Therefore, I'm letting last Sunday andthe STING of that embarrassment go so that I can give them my full support on Sunday.

:D:D

The last time cats in here used that sickening "breakout" term....the Ravens got skull dragged and curb stomped 44-7 by the Jaguars. Hopefully, those that love that despicable term will chill out with its usage from here on out and just "HOPE" that the Ravens players can play well in back to back to back games instead of shining in one and then disappearing in the next 2-3 games.
Well they are breaking out the black on black jerseys....

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Some people say; "I don't care if nobody picks the Ravens to win!" Or, "Who cares if they pick us to win or not?" Well,damn it! I CARE!

To me, when these analysts (who we know aren't always right) don't pick us to win, that pick, idea, notion or assumption of the Ravens NOT winning is based upon how piss poorly the Ravens have performed (primarily offensively) in their last few games.

But hey! I'm merely a fan! And, if I'm pissed by us always been counted out of these games as though we're some scrub team; I truly wonder what do our guys think when they see stuff like this...that although they are playing at home, more analysts still pick them to lose. I wonder....

29_LFW_PitBal_image1.jpg

RavensDFan

Veteran
Now you definitely know me better than that! :D My wife and I are in Maryland here at our daughter's home. We're driving up to Baltimore in the morning. I'm excited to see our Ravens "LIVE" once again and look forward to seeing them right that wrong from last week. What better team for them to do that against than the squealers and at home?

I'll admit that this last loss has been really tough on me. So, I've been working extremely hard (mentally....lol) this week to get past the STING and the EMBARRASSMENT of losing to Blake Bortles and the Jaguars (a loss that is forever in the record books and now a part of Ravens history) so that I can give them (defense...and yes....the offense too) my full support on Sunday.

This loss got to me. I have never seen us look so awful overall and I've been here since the beginning and seen some sorry seasons. I don't need the offense to be dropping 50 burgers or even 40, nor the defense to be dominating (though I would love to see both), nor for us to win every game, I would be happy if we could just look like an NFL caliber team each week, win or lose. If sure there were some mistakes, but one unit or another was not completely inept. Is that too much to ask?

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Some people say; "I don't care if nobody picks the Ravens to win!" Or, "Who cares if they pick us to win or not?" Well,damn it! I CARE!

To me, when these analysts (who we know aren't always right) don't pick us to win, that pick, idea, notion or assumption of the Ravens NOT winning is based upon how piss poorly the Ravens have performed (primarily offensively) in their last few games.

But hey! I'm merely a fan! And, if I'm pissed by us always been counted out of these games as though we're some scrub team; I truly wonder what do our guys think when they see stuff like this...that although they are playing at home, more analysts still pick them to lose. I wonder....

29_LFW_PitBal_image1.jpg
I really had respect for profootballtalk till just now! They're stumble bums.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
This loss got to me. I have never seen us look so awful overall and I've been here since the beginning and seen some sorry seasons. I don't need the offense to be dropping 50 burgers or even 40, nor the defense to be dominating (though I would love to see both), nor for us to win every game, I would be happy if we could just look like an NFL caliber team each week, win or lose. If sure there were some mistakes, but one unit or another was not completely inept. Is that too much to ask?

That's what I've been implying in ALL of my critiques of Joe Flacco and this offense with the defense sprinkled in there from time to time. :D

No doubt. And to think people were legit pissed that we re-signed him. Glad we did and I really hope he can play Sunday.

The fact that this is a home game against THE hated rival should energize this whole team. After watching the preseason, I had this defense ranked no worse than 5th when it's all said and done. Whether if you're a fan of Harbs or not, if there's one thing he does well is motivating his team and what better time than now. This team has too much pride to go out like bitches this early in the season. I refuse to believe it. Now with the loss of Urban, will Willie Henry be active? What about Wormley? I'm sure Davis has to get some snaps somewhere.

As for the offense, I've always said this about Flacco: give him a solid o-line (which this line is not) and solid weapons (which we have) and we will witness more glimpses of Playoff Joe in the regular season than we're accustomed to. Don't give him a solid o-line? Expect to see numbers kinda similar to his dreadful 2013 season. It'd also be nice to see a Perriman make a play or two. I wonder if this is the week where we really start to open the playbook on both sides of the ball. Given that this rivalry has been full of "one-possession" games, the special teams unit is gonna be critical.
I'm honestly very confident the defense will improve vastly and become a top 5 unit. Pees makes in-season adjustments very well and these players are talented.

As for Joe, I think that he's able to get the most out of his receivers, but I don't know if he has that ability to make them better. This OL hasn't been great by any stretch, Stanley has been a disappointment and the only guys who've turned in good games was Howard and Jensen. They've both been what has kept this OL unit stable at this point to go along with Yanda before his injury. I think Stanley needs to step up if we expect improvements.

He doesn't get a pass though, a little over 100 yards by your WRs? That's mostly on Joe and the OC. You need to find ways to get the ball in the receivers hands. Look at what the Green bay Packers and New England Patriots do. Geronimo Allison just entered the game vs Cincinnati after being inactive and put up 122 yards receiving, next game he was held catch-less. What Greenbay and New England manage to do is scheme their guys open and have their QB put the ball in their receivers hands, we can't seem to do either. Are we going to argue that Geronimo Allison is better than Mike Wallace or Jeremy Maclin? Also, this may be unfair to Joe, but sometimes your QB is going to have to buy more time. You're not going to have a clean pocket and will need to rely on your QB to make plays, it's why they get paid so much, they have to make something out of nothing more than anyone else on the field.

As far as the OL goes, hopefully this is the unit we finish the year with. Stanley should get better, him and Howard should have the edges sealed off and Jensen looks like he's going to be a rock in the middle of the OL. I honestly have no idea what the guards will do but I'm just hoping that Hurst continues his decent season and that who ever starts at RG doesn't screw anything up.