• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

COVID and the NFL

rossihunter2

Staff Member
update: titans and steelers week 4 game postponed by at least 24-48 hours - tomlin thinks right now the plan is monday but who knows what will happen given the (roughly) 3 day incubation period

they already found 1 additional titan player who posted positive... its a good sign that it's only 1 but that doesnt mean it wont be more

So there's like half a dozen positive players right? Why did they add so many practice squad players if they're turning the schedule upside down for a handful of guys?

It's too bad they didn't work a covid bye into the schedule before hand.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So there's like half a dozen positive players right? Why did they add so many practice squad players if they're turning the schedule upside down for a handful of guys?

It's too bad they didn't work a covid bye into the schedule before hand.

its because the facility had to be closed which creates a competitive disadvantage - the practice squad alleviates them from having to find guys off the street if they get 1 or 2 guys down in a week and they cant bring anyone into the facility quickly enough because of the new testing rules etc.

a mini outbreak creates an unfair advantage to the team that gets to practice all week

the also did add in schedule flexibility this year so that they'd have options if covid delayed a slate of games at any point - i think they didnt worry about individual games because they've managed to reschedule those before

but they've also got flexibility at the end of the season - they have the ability to postpone the postseason if there's games they need to finish after the season

JO_75

Hall of Famer
More bad news. This might impact next week's Titans game against the Bills if this continues.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
More bad news. This might impact next week's Titans game against the Bills if this continues.

we'll see - once they start getting consistent negatives across the board and no new positives they'll be able to re-enter the facility and those who are testing negative will be able to practice

all those positive players can go on the nfl covid list and they'll potentially be able to play their game in a week's time - albeit they'll be a depleted team most likely

but it's definitely a possibility - the NFL will have to start thinking about contingency plans for what to do when team's dont have a bye to move to - basically are we going to have a longer regular season to make up these games?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
another case on the pats chiefs - now game has been rescheduled for Tuesday

but i have to say with the 2nd game positive case and the delay in some of the positive tests for the titans i dont see anyway these guys are able to get on a plane on sunday night

Last edited:

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah this is not good. League may have to look into a league wide bye if more start to pop up.
This is a good idea. I hope the nfl finds a way to manage this somehow like the mlb did after the marlins had a couple of cases early into the season.
What I don't understand is how the falcons were allowed to play after Terrell tested positive.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Obviously I don't want to make jokes about this but it would be a Belichick move to sit Cam out the rest of the year, tank against the Jets and lose those games. Get the number one pick and Trevor Lawrence and screw over the Jets once again.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is a good idea. I hope the nfl finds a way to manage this somehow like the mlb did after the marlins had a couple of cases early into the season.
What I don't understand is how the falcons were allowed to play after Terrell tested positive.

i think it was an isolated case in that instance or something idk...

but they really havent taken the incubation period into account with these protocols which is why the titans mess has happened - those protocols will have to be adjusted because it's 1) threatening the ability of teams to play their regularly scheduled games and 2) when those games are/can be played in their regular game week it creates a massive competitive disadvantage by limiting practices

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The NFL was willing to put the teams in hotels for the season in order to get through the season and have their own mini bubble back in July. In July, the NFLPA balked at the idea and now here we are with games being moved around due to players testing positive.

As one source explained it to PFT, the NFLPA balked during July negotiations at a Thursday-to-Sunday team-by-team bubble. The union likely would balk at a continuous bubble for the balance of the season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-the-rest-of-the-season-will-the-nflpa-agree/

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i think it was an isolated case in that instance or something idk...

but they really havent taken the incubation period into account with these protocols which is why the titans mess has happened - those protocols will have to be adjusted because it's 1) threatening the ability of teams to play their regularly scheduled games and 2) when those games are/can be played in their regular game week it creates a massive competitive disadvantage by limiting practices
I mean the info is still sort of flowing around, but by multiple accounts, the Titans outbreak occurred because they legitimately didn't follow the NFL's protocol. There's a reason why the star player on the Patriots can test positive and it doesn't spread like wildfire. Because there's protocols in place. They have extensive contract tracing mechanisms, as well as multiple protocols to isolate and quarantine players who either test positive or have come in contact with somebody who does.

And in my opinion, though they won't publicly acknowledge it, I seriously doubt the NFL cares about competitive disadvantages when an organization isn't following protocols. They've sort of earned a competitive disadvantage at that point.

Given they had no new cases as of today, if that continues tomorrow, I think everybody, including the league, fully expects the Titans to resume practicing on Wednesday and still compete on Sunday. They'll do almost certainly without any of the players or coaches who are on the COVID-list, and they'll do so with or without "sufficient" practice or prep time.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Patriots CB Stephon Gilmore tested positive and the team will cancel practice today.

I am curious if any of these positives have been false positives.