• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

COVID and the NFL

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Considering what's at stake, you would think you would follow the rules regardless of how annoying they are.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
When is the deadline for the league to postpone this weekend's game?

idk that there is one officially

the problem with postponing is that the bills play thursday night in week 6 so definitely cant have the game played after sunday night

which means the only option really is either a forfeit or we start to open up the week 18 slate of games - the problem with a forfeit is that apparently the players wouldn't get the game checks so wouldn't be getting paid - if that's true then there's no way the bills let the game be cancelled

and as i postulate all this this has just popped up on my feed:

but i just dont get how they can expect that to happen - the titans still arent back in their facility yet and would at most have 3 days of practice if they were allowed in tomorrow (which they wont be given the new test results today)

Inqui

Pro Bowler

the problem with postponing is that the bills play thursday night in week 6 so definitely cant have the game played after sunday night

which means the only option really is either a forfeit or we start to open up the week 18 slate of games - the problem with a forfeit is that apparently the players wouldn't get the game checks so wouldn't be getting paid - if that's true then there's no way the bills let the game be cancelled

but i just dont get how they can expect that to happen - the titans still arent back in their facility yet and would at most have 3 days of practice if they were allowed in tomorrow (which they wont be given the new test results today)

Yeesh, whenever you think the schedule couldn't get more convoluted...

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

this is a good point - would open them up to lawsuits if they forced the forfeit

As I said once already, though I could be wrong... I don't think the NFL cares one bit about the "fairness" of practice time. I think they'd have no reservations about them playing a game on 2-3 days prep. Especially true when, in this case, the team has pretty much done everything possible to screw themselves over time and time again.

I think we fans need to get used to the idea that "competitive disadvantage" isn't something the NFL is concerned much with this year. If one team gets more practice reps than another, so be it. Patriots are going to play a game this weekend with no on-field practice whatsoever.

The objective is to get in as many games as they can within the period of time they have to do it, while trying to find a balance with proper protocols. They already knew the season was going to have competitive disadvantages back in August. Some teams allow tens of thousands of fans in their seats, and others allow none. That's just the way of it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
As I said once already, though I could be wrong... I don't think the NFL cares one bit about the "fairness" of practice time. I think they'd have no reservations about them playing a game on 2-3 days prep. Especially true when, in this case, the team has pretty much done everything possible to screw themselves over time and time again.

I think we fans need to get used to the idea that "competitive disadvantage" isn't something the NFL is concerned much with this year. If one team gets more practice reps than another, so be it. Patriots are going to play a game this weekend with no on-field practice whatsoever.

The objective is to get in as many games as they can within the period of time they have to do it, while trying to find a balance with proper protocols. They already knew the season was going to have competitive disadvantages back in August. Some teams allow tens of thousands of fans in their seats, and others allow none. That's just the way of it.

the problem comes when you get beyond just competitive disadvantage and into the realms of player safety - this potential postponement could lead to a squad of under-prepared players who've not practiced together for 2 weeks and therefore will not be game fit necessarily + add in the PS players all being elevated at once and you end up with the potential for some player safety issues looking at injuries etc.

at that point the NFL has a problem because the NFLPA will get involved - im aware that they dont really care about competitive disadvantage

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
the problem comes when you get beyond just competitive disadvantage and into the realms of player safety - this potential postponement could lead to a squad of under-prepared players who've not practiced together for 2 weeks and therefore will not be game fit necessarily + add in the PS players all being elevated at once and you end up with the potential for some player safety issues looking at injuries etc.

at that point the NFL has a problem because the NFLPA will get involved - im aware that they dont really care about competitive disadvantage
Not really buying it though...
1. The entire purpose of expanded roster, extra PS, extra was for this. Its the purpose. If you're going to argue that the guys you lobbied for to have roster spots that normally wouldn't are now somehow unprepared and shouldn't have to play, then why did you agree to it to begin with? Its not like the NFLPA can reasonably argue that "well we thought we'd always get a week of practice time to prep".
2. It would be the ultimate hypocrisy for the NFLPA, who lobbied so hard for so many years for reduced practices, less contact, more days off, AND this year, lobbied for no preseason and no training camp, to then come out and say "hey our guys aren't ready, they can't play". Talk about a whiff...
3. NFL players will tell you directly (as they have for years)... "practice" during the regular season is overrated. They're rarely hitting, there's only 3 days during the actual week where they're doing anything other than studying film or traveling, and any veteran with even minor bruises practice time involves doing cardio to the side.
None of which can't be achieved in a non-group setting. You lose reps. That's about it. If you're losing reps in October, and that makes you out of shape from a game you played less than 14 days prior, that's on you.

NFL isn't worried about this one bit. Its all self-inflicted. They're worrying about scheduling and how to maximize games.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I say the Titans have to forfeit every game through November 22nd. Then they can play again.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Here we go again..... this time the Jets.

On the bright side, the Titans had ZERO positive tests this morning.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Here we go again..... this time the Jets.

On the bright side, the Titans had ZERO positive tests this morning.

haha lol

im assuming this cryptic josina tweet suggests its a star player or someone central to the team - my guess is that means QB

my guess is its either joe (which would be ironic given it would be his first start) or its darnold (which would be ironic because he had mono last year)

but that's purely conjecture based on her suggestion that they'll be lucky if it's only one

on the titans - lets see them have 2 days in a row without a new positive before we celebrate lol

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
haha lol

im assuming this cryptic josina tweet suggests its a star player or someone central to the team - my guess is that means QB

my guess is its either joe (which would be ironic given it would be his first start) or its darnold (which would be ironic because he had mono last year)

but that's purely conjecture based on her suggestion that they'll be lucky if it's only one

on the titans - lets see them have 2 days in a row without a new positive before we celebrate lol

The classic Josina "wtf are you saying" tweet

JO_75

Hall of Famer

false alarm

I'm glad it turned out to be a false positive but what happens if a team late in the year has their starting QB test positive, they miss a game or two but it turns out it was a false positive? Obviously they found out quick here that it was a false positive but just saying there could be a likely hood a false positive impacts who makes the playoffs and who doesn't if a starting QB has to sit out a game or two in the closing weeks.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Titans-Bills looks to be on for Tuesday as the league has announced there will be no TNF this week. Chiefs-Bills will be played next Monday at 4PM.