• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

COVID and the NFL

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Gilmore and Mahomes.

Incubation period is 14 days, so even though Chiefs had had negative tests after the game, wonder if Mahomes tests positive in the coming weeks and has to miss a game like Cam did.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
This seems to get worse and worse by the second.

Another Titans player tested positive, while a Raider also tested positive. Titans were expected to return to their facility today but can't do that now.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

chiefs pats should never have gone ahead - the titans positive tests are showing exactly why there's a 2 week isolation period for contacts because incubation can be up to 14 days

the average incubation period is between 5-6 days so any positive result to a player where you cant prove that they had no contact with other players after a monday should automatically result in postponement of the game that weekend

the fact that cam tested positive on friday/saturday means that game should not have happened monday

rossihunter2

Staff Member

sounds like Titans protocol following has been awful generally - and potentially other protocol breaches since too...

sounds fairly self-inflicted - and if it is then i honestly think they should be forfeiting this bills game rather than being allowed to postpone it

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

chiefs pats should never have gone ahead - the titans positive tests are showing exactly why there's a 2 week isolation period for contacts because incubation can be up to 14 days

the average incubation period is between 5-6 days so any positive result to a player where you cant prove that they had no contact with other players after a monday should automatically result in postponement of the game that weekend

the fact that cam tested positive on friday/saturday means that game should not have happened monday

I mean... they're using state-of-the-art contact tracing wristbands that all personnel are required to wear. That monitors contact distances they've had with others who are wearing that equipment.

So if their technology is telling them its isolated contact, there's really no reason not to move forward. If the fear is that once one person tests positive that a 14 day quarantine of everybody in the building is needed, then the season should just be cancelled. You'll never get through it.

The entire purpose of advanced protocols, contact tracing, and expanded rosters/rules is to allow for the fact that some teams will have outbreaks, and if protocols are followed, the games can continue.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I mean... they're using state-of-the-art contact tracing wristbands that all personnel are required to wear. That monitors contact distances they've had with others who are wearing that equipment.

So if their technology is telling them its isolated contact, there's really no reason not to move forward. If the fear is that once one person tests positive that a 14 day quarantine of everybody in the building is needed, then the season should just be cancelled. You'll never get through it.

The entire purpose of advanced protocols, contact tracing, and expanded rosters/rules is to allow for the fact that some teams will have outbreaks, and if protocols are followed, the games can continue.

right but cam newton was not isolated during the time that he was supposedly infectious - they know he had close contacts but they relied on the 2 days of negative test results on everyone else as a sign that it hadnt spread and ignored the idea of an incubation period (we know that stephon gillmore was one of the people he had close contact with and lo-and-behold he's the next Pat to have it)

just because they have these tools doesnt mean they're doing everything right - so many of their protocols are about preventing infection getting into the buildings etc. which is why the season started so effectively but there's a reason they've sent out adjustments to the protocols this week - it's because the post-outbreak measures have clearly not been good enough so far

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
right but cam newton was not isolated during the time that he was supposedly infectious - they know he had close contacts but they relied on the 2 days of negative test results on everyone else as a sign that it hadnt spread and ignored the idea of an incubation period (we know that stephon gillmore was one of the people he had close contact with and lo-and-behold he's the next Pat to have it)

just because they have these tools doesnt mean they're doing everything right - so many of their protocols are about preventing infection getting into the buildings etc. which is why the season started so effectively but there's a reason they've sent out adjustments to the protocols this week - it's because the post-outbreak measures have clearly not been good enough so far
I think that's part of it. Most of what I'm hearing isn't measures not being good enough... its measures not being followed.

Quite frankly, having 2-3 players per team test positive in the first month would be a success. Just based purely on statistics and the idea that these guys are still spending a good amount of time per week traveling and being at home, you would expect these things.

Realistically, there's no procedures they can come up with, outside of an NBA-level bubble, that will prevent isolated cases. It's just not possible. That being said... the protocols can and should prevent 10+ personnel testing positive, like what's happening in Tennessee. By all accounts, failure to follow protocols caused that, not lack of ineffectiveness of them. The only thing the NFL can do to make sure protocols are being followed is to make punishments of breaking the protocols so severe that nobody will even consider it. 7 figure fines per occurrence, player and coach suspensions without pay, etc. Loss of draft picks is a good idea, but I don't even know that matters to players. It hurts the organization more than the players.

I heard you and others mention forfeiture of games. If what I've been reading about what the Titans players and coaches have done is true, I would 100% put game forfeitures on the table. I'd put it in place right now and let the NFLPA fight me on it later. I think the NFLPA knows, for certain, that if they end up in arbitration over severe protocol violations, most arbitrators are going to err on the side of public/player safety, which means forfeiting games is on the table.

JO_75

Hall of Famer

sounds like Titans protocol following has been awful generally - and potentially other protocol breaches since too...

sounds fairly self-inflicted - and if it is then i honestly think they should be forfeiting this bills game rather than being allowed to postpone it

Dan Graziano on Get Up said it is a possibility the game could end up a forfeit for the Titans instead of rescheduled.

Truthfully the forfeit is the right call if they were violating rules of working out together and what not. It will suck the Bills get a free ride to 5-0 but it is what it is. They are the Super Spreader of the NFL. I think the Titans should have to forfeit the season if they continue to violate rules.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

obviously unconfirmed and hearsay right now but fits the picture of the larger trend of titans not following protocols

if this is all true i find it hard to believe that 1) the titans wont be forfeiting the bills game and 2) that they wont see any long-term punishment be that a fine or loss of draft picks

if this all comes to be true i could definitely see them having their 1st round pick taken away

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

same article different by-line thought

bad look for tannehill

I can kind of see both sides of the argument, though I think Tannehill's looks worse here.

Like these players can talk all they want about "being together" and blah blah blah, but a lot of the guys doing that talking are veterans who already have been paid and are already getting paid.

The reality is that the Titans lost a full week of practice and had a game delayed, and the league-wide and organization-wide expectation is that they're going to be prepared, ready, and performing at the highest level this weekend, with less practice and prep time than others. While I think some players would tell you they can do that, for some guys, that prep time is the difference between being great on Sunday and sucking on Sunday.

So the idea of these guys holding "private workouts" to me isn't that far fetched. These are players who likely tested negative several times, and regardless of incubation period, feel they're at no additional risk. Right or wrong, its not exactly an unreasonable take. Some of these guys may be playing for current or future jobs, paydays, etc., so this notion that they should risk their own future earnings to protect others current earnings isn't exactly realistic in my eyes.

That being said, Tannehill just signed a fat, guaranteed contract. He should know better. A bad performance on Sunday isn't likely to change his earning power even a little bit.

The other obvious caveat would be... how many of these "protocol breakers" actually tested positive? If its some or a lot, then there's a valid grievance. If all of them are negative, haven't tested positive, and don't test positive, its not nearly as big of a deal as the media makes it out to be. Its merely just "bad PR", instead of actually costing teams games.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I can kind of see both sides of the argument, though I think Tannehill's looks worse here.

Like these players can talk all they want about "being together" and blah blah blah, but a lot of the guys doing that talking are veterans who already have been paid and are already getting paid.

The reality is that the Titans lost a full week of practice and had a game delayed, and the league-wide and organization-wide expectation is that they're going to be prepared, ready, and performing at the highest level this weekend, with less practice and prep time than others. While I think some players would tell you they can do that, for some guys, that prep time is the difference between being great on Sunday and sucking on Sunday.

So the idea of these guys holding "private workouts" to me isn't that far fetched. These are players who likely tested negative several times, and regardless of incubation period, feel they're at no additional risk. Right or wrong, its not exactly an unreasonable take. Some of these guys may be playing for current or future jobs, paydays, etc., so this notion that they should risk their own future earnings to protect others current earnings isn't exactly realistic in my eyes.

That being said, Tannehill just signed a fat, guaranteed contract. He should know better. A bad performance on Sunday isn't likely to change his earning power even a little bit.

The other obvious caveat would be... how many of these "protocol breakers" actually tested positive? If its some or a lot, then there's a valid grievance. If all of them are negative, haven't tested positive, and don't test positive, its not nearly as big of a deal as the media makes it out to be. Its merely just "bad PR", instead of actually costing teams games.

- roger saffold admitting they were there

the problem is the NFL mandated that players not workout in this exact way when they went into the covid-outbreak protocols
this specific type of practicing was outlawed

its a tough position for them to be in and the NFL should have alleviated those issues by immediately postponing their game and not pretending they'd be playing without being able to practice - its poor communication from the NFL but the Titans literally broke the rules handed to them in light of the outbreak - the vikings followed them and still played sunday despite losing some practice time (obviously they didnt have an outbreak but they didnt break the rules anyway when asked not to be in their facility)

CanadianRavensFan

Practice Squad
I think the NFL has to force the titans into forfeiting their game this week. All of the other options are worse than the titans forfeiting.