• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Obligatory Joe Flacco Thread

JO_75

Hall of Famer
So............ once all the Flacco trolls come over here I've created a thread just for them and everyone else. This way we won't be complaining about Flacco in every thread like the old forum, but now we can complain about Joe in this ONE SINGLE THREAD!

Commence Flacco hating in 3...2...1... GO!

JO_75

Hall of Famer
We still have the old forum if it wasn't for his contract! He should have restructured his contract in order to keep the old forums up and running!

Joe Flacco is the reason we are here...... and not on the old forum.

Seriously though, I know Joe has his moments but man there's just not enough good to balance out the bad. I really wish that someone tell Flacco it's January from September to Feb, that way he plays like January Joe for the entire season. I get it, he's the AFC Eli Manning but my only complaint is just that he is so inconsistent in the regular season and just like to see him bring his post season play to the regular season. He's going on what 10 years in the league? He's making mistakes like a rookie instead of playing like a smart 10 year veteran.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Dude for real. Everybody that criticizes Joe Flacco isn't trolling. There are fans that don't think he is the answer. A growing number of fans. Is that how you think? Anybody that disagrees with you about Joe has to be trolling? I know you don't really believe that. It is sarcasm. Anyways let's analyze the Joe Flacco situation for real and discuss it. We are going to play some "WHAT IF L" about Joe Flacco....

The most ideal and PREFERRED situation and outcome is our O-Line is a strength. Then we acquire a talented WR in his prime. He plays his best football with Joe Flacco. Then one of our own WR's improves to a relevant level. While Kenny Dixon fronts his immense skills after returning from his suspension. And Joe has the best year of his career while playing at/near all pro level. Playing up to the caliber he was always capable of playing

Then there is the less preferred scenarios for Joe Flacco and the ravens. We don't acquire a talented WR. One of our own steps up but nothing to write home about once again. Joe plays the same as last year or worse. Ravens miss the playoffs again with a 7-9 record or worse. The defense plays well and is borderline dominant. But misses the playoffs because of no help from the offense whatsoever. Maybe even defense is good but not really good and ravens hit double digit losses with a good defense and terrible offense.

The dilemma here in this unthinkable scenario is who is to blame? Who does Biscotti blame? Which direction is the anger majority of fans pointed towards? Not the more informed fans on this forum. I mean the vast majority of fans. As in the ones that viscously assulted Elvis Grbac. Is Biscotti and fans holding Joe mostly responsible for failing to perform? Yes he doesn't have the team around him. But the contract comes into play here. Should he perform at least at a respectable standard regardless of his supporting cast? Since he is being paid like the QBs that do.

Then there is management including Ozzie Decosta and Harbaugh. Is it to take the storm of blame? For paying all that money to the wrong QB. Or for Paying a QB all that money then failing to take advantage of his skills. And get no return on all that money because it put Joe in a situation with zero chance to thrive.

If Joe doesn't improve or plays even worse. You have to think some changes will be made. Especially if the record is even worse. Is it going to be Joe Flacco or the decision makers. Will Biscotti replace management with younger decision makers that will try to get some return on Joe's skills? As well as the money invested in his skills? Or look to find a new QB while sitting Joe down. At some point any QB can get pulled from a game. BUT it will not necessarily mean Joe is being blamed for the failure.

It is very tough to know what course of action Biscotti will take if Joe and the team struggle. I personaly think Joe can't be blamed if he is given below average talent to work with. Well not exactly. He could share blame. But I don't think you could say he should be replaced when his weapons around him are below average. That is the problem with not putting a legit WR in the offense to set the table for the offense. If Joe struggles you don't know for sure what you have.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Ok people, seriously. Joe flacco is a solid franchise qb and there is no way to argue against it. Inconsistent, yes. Elite? Sporadically. Elite track record? Absolutely.

He isn't carrying a team. He's money in crunch time. He has kept us competitive despite massive turnover in roster and coaching staff every single year. He easily has one of the hardest jobs of any NFL qb, no other qb faces the amount of turnover he does. He is constantly running for his life in the pocket, he is constantly changing systems, he hasn't had a run game to lean on since kubiak. He has NOTHING for WRs, and when he had a solid corps that's all they were, solid and complementary. He has had receivers drop key passes time and time again and it cost us games(boldin/house vs Pitt 2011, Evans vs NE 2012, boldin and jacoby dropped red zone passes one drive before the Denver Hail Mary, Owen Daniels in 2015 vs NE, Torrey not even attempting in the same game) it's laughable how often he's been let down, hell against Pitt this year he had pitta inexplicably fail to stay in bounds on a crucial 3rd down pass inside the 5. He has won games for us only to have the defense cough it up time and time again.

Behind a solid line joe will deliver most of the time, he isn't gonna throw it 50 times a game to make up for weak wr play, but when he has time to throw and gets it off 30 times a game, he will deliver. He needs a helping hand from
His team and he rarely gets it when it matters most.

flynismo

Practice Squad
Dude for real. Everybody that criticizes Joe Flacco isn't trolling. There are fans that don't think he is the answer.

From urban dictionary, here is a portion of the definition of trolling:
The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous

So yes, by definition, anyone who really thinks he isn't our answer and wants Flacco gone is an obvious troll. They're mostly the same people who used to say Eli wasn't the answer over in NY, too. smh

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
From urban dictionary, here is a portion of the definition of trolling:
The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous

So yes, by definition, anyone who really thinks he isn't our answer and wants Flacco gone is an obvious troll. They're mostly the same people who used to say Eli wasn't the answer over in NY, too. smh

After 2 bad years it's not so outrageous to say Joe isn't the answer. If somebody really believes Joe isn't the answer then he or she isn't trolling. When a QB plays poorly he will have detractors no matter how attached you feel to your player.

Now with that said I do believe Joe can should and will produce if management can pull a miracle out of their butts and put playmakers around him. I'll do you one better. Joe WILL be a top6 QB with the help behind him. Joe releases as good and accurate an arrow as any QB in the league.

What puts the top5 QBs over him is their skill to look through progressions a touch faster and throw a strike with proper mechanics while under pressure. Whereas Joe's mechanics get bad when hurried a little and he makes bad reads and bad throws. But when Joe is comfortable in the pocket he throws as beautiful, accurate and tight a spiral as anybody. Which is how an offensive line and finally a consistent playmaker will yield big dividends on our investment overall.

Joe compared to Troy Aikman in style and accuracy. Aikman mechanics and accuracy faded under pressure. Aikman is a hall of famer and one of most accurate throwers ever when comfortable. To anybody that says he can't lead WR's and hit them in stride show tape of him consistently failing to do that while comfortable in the pocket.

No coincidence his best play ever came when Mckinnie locked down left tackle and stabilized the line. Allowing everybody play their natural positions. The offensive line totally dominated. Even Oher seemed motivated and aggressive again for that playoff run. Then there was Boldin and Pitta in their prime making tough catches to move the chains. With big play receiver's making enough plays. Boldin however was the playmaker playing his best ever. He played like a real #1 for that run. Joe was comfy in the pocket and confident in his playmakers. And played his best football ever.

Following year Mckinnie showed his age. Boldin traded, putts hurt and Joe played his worst QB ever. Why wouldn't we want the historic Joe all the time? With keeping together an offensive line and finding a consistent playmaker

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Awww damn! Here we go!

Commence Flacco defending in 3....2....1 GO!!

Last edited:
Regardless of the talent around him, I really hope he gets his mechanics right.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think you all know how I feel about this guy..

Unless he's got a very good O line and Solid receiving weapons you can expect the same ol flacco dumping it off to pitta and over throwing WR's.

People talk about mistakes this FO made. I'd say the biggest mistake over the past 3-4 years was giving him that extension.
Could have used the cash this year to build a strong team on both sides of the ball.

theFRANCHISE

Practice Squad
The money Flacco was given was for his first extension was market value for a starting QB with his credentials at that time. His second extension last year helped create cap space. It's the cost of doing business if you want stability at the QB position.

We could be like the Bears, Niners, Jets, etc. right now and be unsure of that position, or be reasonably ok with a guy who'll at least get us to the playoffs. We were lucky to find immediate success with Harbaugh and Flacco in '08 and won a Super Bowl within 4 years, but you don't catch lightning in a bottle twice.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
The money Flacco was given was for his first extension was market value for a starting QB with his credentials at that time. His second extension last year helped create cap space. It's the cost of doing business if you want stability at the QB position.

We could be like the Bears, Niners, Jets, etc. right now and be unsure of that position, or be reasonably ok with a guy who'll at least get us to the playoffs. We were lucky to find immediate success with Harbaugh and Flacco in '08 and won a Super Bowl within 4 years, but you don't catch lightning in a bottle twice.

If the QB plays to his contract the lightning never leaves the bottle

theFRANCHISE

Practice Squad
If the QB plays to his contract the lightning never leaves the bottle
We've all suffered through the "Boller/Wright/Banks/Grbac, etc." era. Let's not do that again.

I'm friends with a Packers fan. They say this same shit about Aaron Rodgers. This beef about Flacco is nothing new around the league.

Flacco has underperformed since that Super Bowl season, yes. But there are several mitigating factors, and when you've got a QB who's had winning seasons and his postseason track record and a magical Super Bowl run, he earns leeway for quite a few years -- just look at turnover-happy Brett Favre. The difference is, Favre's numbers would offset a lot of his criticism. Flacco's not Favre and will never be, but that's not what this team asks of him.

I'd rather watch our team keep every game close, than to watch them get their skulls beaten out every Sunday like the Browns, Jags, Niners, etc.

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
I think the day I'm able to say, "man, I'd take the other 31 quarterbacks over Flacco," is the day I give up on Flacco.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
We've all suffered through the "Boller/Wright/Banks/Grbac, etc." era. Let's not do that again.

I'm friends with a Packers fan. They say this same shit about Aaron Rodgers. This beef about Flacco is nothing new around the league.

Flacco has underperformed since that Super Bowl season, yes. But there are several mitigating factors, and when you've got a QB who's had winning seasons and his postseason track record and a magical Super Bowl run, he earns leeway for quite a few years -- just look at turnover-happy Brett Favre. The difference is, Favre's numbers would offset a lot of his criticism. Flacco's not Favre and will never be, but that's not what this team asks of him.

I'd rather watch our team keep every game close, than to watch them get their skulls beaten out every Sunday like the Browns, Jags, Niners, etc.

Jaguars may have a QB. The offenseive scheme and coaching sucks. The offensive line is shameful. The jaguars threw money into their defense and put their young QB behind a bottom 3 OLine. A $90million contract to an above average defensive lineman while putting that trash of a line in front of their young QB.

I'm good with Joe's contract for now. Like I said Joe is as good as any when he is comfy. And bad as any when staring down the rush. Difference in joe and a non franchise caliber QB is a below average to average QB doesn't have the arm talent to make the throws even when protected and given good weapons. Joe can make wow throws consistently if comfy in pocket.

The QB position is easier than ever to play with the rules and modern timing and schemes. I will call Joe's contract a mistake if we see multiple QBs drafted after the first round outplaying Joe Flacco throughout the league. Because then there is no excuse to not try to do better. That is when and if i would say Joe is strapping down the team. If we were to see QBs around the league drafted rounds 2 through 7 outplaying Joe on a rookie contracts. Because then what are we paying Joe all this money for? When we could of got one of these QBs in the mid rounds.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I think a lot of Flacco hates comes from the fact that when we lose games, people want to blame Joe and totally forget that the defense just blew the lead Flacco drove down the field and got to win the game. Just look at the Christmas Game against the Steelers, Joe is still the same Joe we trust to lead us down the field when it matters most to win the game. Then the defense doesn't hold and we lose and then for some reason people want to point blame toward Flacco. How many of those games where if the defense holds up and closes out the games are we praising Flacco for his game winning drives compared to hating on him for something he had no control over?

I do think with the addition of Greg Roman and the defensive heavy draft we are trying to help Joe by giving him more of a running game that can eat the clock, having a defense shut down opposing offenses just so all Flacco has to do is put points up to win the game. Looking at his contract, I think Joe is here through 2019 but 2020 is the year where we'll have to make another decision. Cap hit goes up to $28M in 2020, and he'll be 35 in 2020.

theFRANCHISE

Practice Squad
I think a lot of Flacco hates comes from the fact that when we lose games, people want to blame Joe and totally forget that the defense just blew the lead Flacco drove down the field and got to win the game. Just look at the Christmas Game against the Steelers, Joe is still the same Joe we trust to lead us down the field when it matters most to win the game. Then the defense doesn't hold and we lose and then for some reason people want to point blame toward Flacco. How many of those games where if the defense holds up and closes out the games are we praising Flacco for his game winning drives compared to hating on him for something he had no control over?

I do think with the addition of Greg Roman and the defensive heavy draft we are trying to help Joe by giving him more of a running game that can eat the clock, shut down opposing offenses just so all Flacco has to do is put points up to win the game.
To be fair, and this is true of every team, the QB always takes all the blame and gets all the credit. Doesn't matter whether that's actually the case -- everyone always looks at the QB first because he's the de facto leader and the face of the franchise, playing the most important position on the field in today's game.

Creating a Flacco dump thread is a noble pursuit, but ultimately every thread has the potential to devolve into an indictment on Flacco because there are those who believe he is the cause of every ill.

I understand those who get frustrated with the notion that criticizing Joe for anything is trolling. He is not beyond reproach ... far from it IMO. But at the same time, it does get ridiculous when other threads go off the rails when they end up becoming all about Joe.