• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good (?), the Bad and the Ugly: Week 4 Edition

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
So, what's going on? Can't be even bothered to get this thread up?

I just want to say that we don't even realise how bad the Steelers are, actually.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
The good: Alex Collins even after the shitty fumble
The bad: Defensive playcalling first drive. Offensive playcalling
The ugly: Flacco = Jay Cutler now and needs to be benched.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Here's an interesting and a possibly eye-opening tidbit. We're averaging 4.5 YPC on the year, which is roughly in the Top 7 of the league. Conversely, we're also averaging 4.3 yards per play, the 2nd worst number in the NFL. We may be the only active team whose passing game actually drops our average yards per play to less than that of our running game alone. I've been flooded with work in the last two weeks, but I'll see if I can do some digging on the specifics noticeable on tape.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Here's an interesting and a possibly eye-opening tidbit. We're averaging 4.5 YPC on the year, which is roughly in the Top 7 of the league. Conversely, we're also averaging 4.3 yards per play, the 2nd worst number in the NFL. We may be the only active team whose passing game actually drops our average yards per play to less than that of our running game alone. I've been flooded with work in the last two weeks, but I'll see if I can do some digging on the specifics noticeable on tape.
The fact that our passing is dropping the total yards average doesn't need much delving into the details, I would think.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I thought Flacco's touchdown throw was pretty good. Too bad he didn't have many other throws like it.

I still like Collins.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I thought Flacco's touchdown throw was pretty good. Too bad he didn't have many other throws like it.

I still like Collins.
Likewise, and I liked him pre-drat. If he can fix the fumbling errors, I'd like to see what he can do with 10+ carries.

K-Dog

MVP
Good: Collins and teeny weeny glimmers of hope that "Good ol' Joe is in there somewhere " & Sam Koch. ( MVP thus far this season )
Bad: the "really bad Joe" seems far, far too dominate for me to feel really good about those glimmers of "Good ol' Joe "
Ugly: O-line. WAY WAY WAY too many white jerseys in the back field time and time again.
Play call on both sides. The inability to shut down Bell. Yes I know he is pretty awesome, but we coulda done better.
Injuries, that depth can not make up for.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
The good: This team can go somewhere with another QB
The bad: We won't change QB before 2019

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The good: Collins and we still have a winning record overall with black jerseys.
The bad: Sami will be all over the board again
The ugly: oline play calling

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
The good: Collins and we still have a winning record overall with black jerseys.
The bad: Sami will be all over the board again
The ugly: oline play calling

:/ just telling you what's at hand.

we're losing out this year and for sure heading for a top 4 pick.

Christian Schwarz

Practice Squad
The good- Alex Collins, he has made plays consistently since the preseason and is the one bright spot to a mediocre running game and terrible offense as a unit. If this guy works on his pass pro and routes/catching he could be our workhorse we desperately need right now. I'll also throw our defense into the good category given that despite the injuries at least we shut down and frustrated Antonio Brown, Lev Bell gutted us but at least we didn't allow another huge blow out.

The ugly- Marty Mornenwhig. 2nd and 10 in the 4th Q? Down 2 scores? No worries! Here comes good ol Marty with another shotgun run for no gain! 3rd and long? No prob! Let's do another shotgun draw bc they never fail! All jokes aside Mornenwhig is an absolute joke of an OC, is holding our offense back with his horrible play calling, play design- the 2-5 yard routes are all he keys on, bad O-line or not we won a Superbowl by taking shots down field and we have the playmakers to do it this year. And he's running the ball way too much...I get it we have to establish the run to pass, maybe if you don't rotate the RBs and give one guy a chance to play 3 downs in order to get hot and stay hot we will have more success? I despise rotational backfields and always say if you need 3+ different RBs to do the job of 1...you lack talent in the backfield.
Mornenwhig needs to go and it's not even a question...rather have cam Cameron than this clown. Atleast Cam Cameron knew how to use Flacco, Cameron was just too controlling and vanilla with how he ran plays. It just seems like Mornenwhig down know what the F he's doing.

Also our offensive line deserves a good portion of the blame too. Flacco is getting destroyed and has no time to throw. The loss of Yanda and the one sided defensive minded offseason are paying the Piper right now, even with a healthy Yanda we are still 3 players short of a capable O-line.

And finally Bust Perriman...yep I ain't calling him Breshad no more just bust. This guy had a wide open pass this week where he tried to make a toe tapping catch on a catchable albeit high thrown ball from Flacco rather than use his so called freak of nature athleticism we drafted him in the 1st rd for. Even the experts called him out and say it was catchable...he was wide open and had plenty of room to finish the catch if he would have jumped for it. Instead he tried to keep his toes down even though he had plenty of room to jump for it and if you watch the replay its comparable to someone in the NBA who has a wide open fast break dunk and gets rim rocked. Perriman showed poor awareness and missed out on a huge opportunity.I know Im singling out 1 play but Lee Evans dropped a TD on 1 play and look how that turned out. This guy can't stay healthy and he's 2 years removed from being able to make rookie mistakes.

Im not even going to single out Flacco bc theres too much failure going on around him to call him out. The ints got to stop but he needs help, period. Look at what poor o-lines do for guys like Russell Wilson, even Aaron Rodgers played poorly in his narrow win against the Bengals last week due to his poor oline.

Conclusion:

-Fire Mornenwhig, get back to taking more shots down field.
-Promote Alex Collins to starting RB
- Fire Bust Perriman... not really
- Use Cap Space from recent restructures to add to our horrible o-line.
-Look for trades for starting caliber o-linemen

RayRayRaven

Veteran
So, what's going on? Can't be even bothered to get this thread up?

I just want to say that we don't even realise how bad the Steelers are, actually.
my view to black. we were not in that game but its clear the stealers are a mediogre team